Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pop and lock was locked and tried to force swing gate opened and heard something break inside gate.:frown:

Replaced broken purple connector...

All good..

LESSON FOR DAY
DONT FORCE GATE OPEN WITH POP AND LOCK CLOSED:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Purple tab is the weak point when we gorrilla the handle.

The new tailgate lock kit from Honda beefed up this purple tab. I have yet to find the indiviso part number for that purple tab. I got 2 regular purple tabs in my glove compartment as back up because I’ve broken two already hahaha

Fun times when Honda did not anticipate the tail gate being lock so it’s not a floating lock. Meaning lock engage, the handle should just move freely and not engage avoiding this scenario.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't measure it.
But under schematics for Honda gate lock
Is holder, rod 5mm

74874-SJC-A02

My replacement came from the lock kit.
Yes it was bit longer and beefier.:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
That’s awesome. You just solved my problem. Going to order a few of the new updated clips for backup. Because I know for sure I’ll snap the current one lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this happen too... not sure of the circumstances. Does it break ONLY when it’s locked?
And does it break only when the drop handle is pulled too hard, or when the bottom right (swing) handle is pulled too hard? Maybe if it’s left unlocked it never breaks?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had this happen too... not sure of the circumstances. Does it break ONLY when it’s locked?
And does it break only when the drop handle is pulled too hard, or when the bottom right (swing) handle is pulled too hard? Maybe if it’s left unlocked it never breaks?
Mine have broken when locked and I have pulled on the swing door latch and gorilla it hard because I forgot it was locked.

Yeah unlocked would avoid this scenario.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pop and lock was locked and tried to force swing gate opened and heard something break inside gate.:frown:

Replaced broken purple connector...

All good..

LESSON FOR DAY
DONT FORCE GATE OPEN WITH POP AND LOCK CLOSED:nerd:
Thank you, I was wondering if they ever replaced those stupid plastic clips... You look at the brilliance of the workings inside that tailgate, a nice metal cog, nice metal rods to pull on the heavy duty metal locks, and they are all tied together with little plastic clips... I replaced mine with metal tie wire, years ago... As a real truck guy that uses it as a truck, one of the clips broke early on mine, just from use... Love to dual use tailgate, a Honda Great!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I understand correctly, the plastic "connectors" in the Ridgeline tailgate are actually only "retainer clips", are they not? Such retainer clips have been used in just about every vehicle that we have owned and all they are used for is to keep the rod connected into a mechanism, any actual force is transmitted through the rod directly to the mechanism, not through the retainer clip. If all of this is as I understand, what is breaking the retainer clips in the Ridgeline tailgate?

Bill

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is attach to a wire cable, the type of force on it while being pull makes the clip snap, the others are rods like you stated, the force is in the rod, so it stays firm and the force is balanced, if that make sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts