Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing my first oil change.

I read somewhere that the oil filter for Gen 2 was A02. So I ordered P/N 15400-PLM-A02. That filter has the following number stamped on the side: A60543. See pic.

I was going to take off the existing filter when I notice that it has a different number marked on the side: A60792.

I've tried looking up the oil filter part number on a few Honda part sites and nothing comes up.

Can I use the filter that I bought? Is it correct?

If someone has the answer, respond ASAP please.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought these on Amazon. The picture on Amazon is a different Axxxxx number. I'm going to go ahead and take off the original filter and put in the one I bought if the size is identical.

If any of you have an answer to my original question let me know.

What is the significance of the Axxxxx number that is marked on the side of the filter?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm not sure what the numbers on the side mean but your filters are good, no worries. There are the A01 filters that don't have cardboard ends that are supposedly better but are mainly available out on the western part of the country. I get those from H and A accessories. The differences in numbers may because of the A01 and A02 filters.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I wonder if those A.... numbers are date or lot codes? I used to have some Honda oil filters lying around for oil changes on the family Honda fleet, but I 've used them up. Otherwise I'd check and see what they show.

None of the other Honda parts I have (electrical) have those A... codes. I googled it, but couldn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
One other thing - beware of counterfeit OEM parts. I've been burned several times by cheap counterfeit new Motorola cell phone batteries on eBay. They barely lasted a day on a charge, whereas the real ones lasted 4-7 days. If the price sounds too good to be true, it usually is.... so now I spend 2-4X more for the real thing.

I'm not saying these Amazon oil filters are counterfeit, but for how little the real OEM ones cost - and how vital they are to your very expensive engine, I'd recommend buying oil filters only from Honda dealers (local or online).

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not sure what the numbers on the side mean but your filters are good, no worries. There are the A01 filters that don't have cardboard ends that are supposedly better but are mainly available out on the western part of the country. I get those from H and A accessories. The differences in numbers may because of the A01 and A02 filters.
That's really interesting - in the post above I shared the link to BernardiParts 2017 Ridgeline oil filter. I bought 2 of those filters but I got the A01's instead of the A02's that are referenced in the part number. Hmmmmmm....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought date code initially as well but the numbers don't make sense. Date codes are usually expressed as 4 digits, with first 2 being calendar week and the second 2 being last digits of year. They could be manufacturer lot numbers or work orders. One thing I do not like is that there doesn't appear to be any part number marking on these filters.
The filters don't look to be counterfeit, all markings look legitimate. It appeared to have a red silicone anti drain back valve but it doesnt serve a purpose in this application due to the upright position it's in.
I've been changing oil in my cars for the last 25 years or so. This is the crappiest placement for a filter that I have seen thus far.

I was a little over zealous when adding oil and ended up puting an extra half quart in. Since it is supposed to take 5.7 quarts, i dont think an extra half would be an issue. My subaru 4cyl and Nissan 4 cyl take 4.5 qts and I regularly added 5qts.
In those cases it was intentional, in this case just a bit careless. Oh and the fill location for this thing sucks too. I'm going to have to get a different funnel with long spout.
Good thing I like this truck.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I thought date code initially as well but the numbers don't make sense. Date codes are usually expressed as 4 digits, with first 2 being calendar week and the second 2 being last digits of year. They could be manufacturer lot numbers or work orders. One thing I do not like is that there doesn't appear to be any part number marking on these filters.
The filters don't look to be counterfeit, all markings look legitimate. It appeared to have a red silicone anti drain back valve but it doesnt serve a purpose in this application due to the upright position it's in.
I've been changing oil in my cars for the last 25 years or so. This is the crappiest placement for a filter that I have seen thus far.

I was a little over zealous when adding oil and ended up puting an extra half quart in. Since it is supposed to take 5.7 quarts, i dont think an extra half would be an issue. My subaru 4cyl and Nissan 4 cyl take 4.5 qts and I regularly added 5qts.
In those cases it was intentional, in this case just a bit careless. Oh and the fill location for this thing sucks too. I'm going to have to get a different funnel with long spout.
Good thing I like this truck.
I haven't checked yet but usually if you turn the wheel to the right that's better access. Honda 4 bangers of today are definitely easier but I can remeber the days of the Acura Integra and the Prelude SI with the filter on its side against the firewall.:frown: I'm hoping the RL will be easier than the Accord V6 since it is off the ground.

·
Registered
935 Posts
As discussed many moons ago the A1 is the better of the filters.
But the A2 will work!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Additionally discussed many moons ago, the OEM factory filter was different than the filter provided to the dealerships, and A01 is better than A02, but both work

Search MAHLE, you should find the previous discussion

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think where this was moved to makes sense. It doesn't fall into any of those categories. I suggest a "Maintenance and Repair" section be created and that it be moved there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have any if you used 10w30 or 5w30? I used 10w30, Penzoil Platinum. Per the manual 0w20 is recommended but you may use any viscosity that is designed to work over the temperature range of -20F to 100F+. 10w30 is designed to work over that temperature range. The 0w20 grade is something all manufacturers have started to specify to achieve higher fuel economy but at the expense of engine longevity in my opinion.
My wife's vehicle uses the chrysler pentastar 3.6L V6. In 2012 they recommended 10w30. A couple years later when they replaced the 5 speed transmission with 8speed, they also changed the recommended oil to 0w20. That's also the same time they increased the fuel economy ratings for that model vehicle. I doubt they made any design changes to the engines to make tolerances tighter.

Anyway I'm taking the truck on its first road trip next week after the break in period.(currently at 3800mi). I'll report fuel economy numbers when I get back. I'm curious to see what kind of mpgs it gets. Per a paper i found online, 0w20 gets 1.5% better fuel economy compared to 5w30 oil.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would never use a 10w30 in the heart of cold winter however winter in Florida is vastly different than Canada or so they say. :grin: The first digits stand for their ability to flow in cold temps (the W actually stands for winter) therefor a 0w will flow much better than a 10w when it is cold outside. Using a 10w could lead to oil starvation damage in the long run especially if you live in Alaska and use during the winter. The second set of numbers such as the 20 or 30 is how thin the oil becomes once up to operating temperature with a 20 being thinner than a 30. The manufacturers do tend to go with 20 because it is thinner and does slightly help in fuel economy due to less friction. I would not venture from their recommended first set of numbers unless your geographical location permits in fact I would stick with their recommendations no matter where you live.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been in Burlington, Vt so I have been unfortunate e:grin: enough to experience the cold you speak speak of. But I live in southern california and we only see temperatures as low as 30s F at night on really cold days. 10w is fine for us here.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I knew it, I knew it,

an oil thread is gonna break out. :lol:

Reactions: Sparkland and Max57

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A01/A02 filters virtually the same. Little bit different design, but work the same
If you want to use the S2000 filter you can . I've been told you can increase your oil pressure a bit with them. I run them on my 2010 RTL. Don't have an oil pressure gauge so can't say pressure is up or not. Someday I might install a gauge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A01/A02 filters virtually the same. Little bit different design, but work the same
If you want to use the S2000 filter you can . I've been told you can increase your oil pressure a bit with them. I run them on my 2010 RTL. Don't have an oil pressure gauge so can't say pressure is up or not. Someday I might install a gauge.

I use what's recommended 2010RTL 5/20 synthetic blend in Ct. I use as stated above a S2000 oil filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Most respectfully, I disagree regarding your first point. Even smattering of online research will confirm the construction of the A01 filter (manufactured by Filtech; an Ohio firm) is (in my humble opinion, of course) superior to the Rank Group's A02 in both construction and materials (i.e., the actual filtering element). The A01 will easily cope with Honda's insistence its filters can be used for two oil change intervals. But, to your point, I will concede that as a practical matter the two filters "work the same." In any case, were I buying "Honda" branded oil filters, I'd buy the A01, and more importantly, I'd certainly spend the additional buck or two -- think about that for a moment; that's all we're talking about, a buck or two, max -- and buy them from well-known, reliable source such as HandA, Majestic or Bernardi rather than taking a chance with what's clearly (to my eyes) a counterfeit filter of unknown quality.

Don't ya just love oil filter threads? :wink:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ratchet, what do you think about the use of an S2000 filter? I have been using them for about 3 years now. I started using them on the recommendation of a couple of guys who race using Honda engines. I have not noticed a deference in proformence, but when i hammer down ,like when entering the highway the truck just keeps pulling. Truck is pretty much OEM, except K-N drop in air filter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts