Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Agree with posts above that A01s are superior to A02s, and I am pretty sure that is what the OP is seeing, an A01 and an A02.

I am pretty sure (because I ordered them once in the past) that if you buy the six-pack from Bernardi, you get A02s. I was disappointed, and at first told myself I would not use them. But time and stinginess wore me down and I did put them into the rotation.

I'm nearing 257,000 and still purring like a kitten.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Most respectfully, I disagree regarding your first point. Even smattering of online research will confirm the construction of the A01 filter (manufactured by Filtech; an Ohio firm) is (in my humble opinion, of course) superior to the Rank Group's A02 in both construction and materials (i.e., the actual filtering element). The A01 will easily cope with Honda's insistence its filters can be used for two oil change intervals. But, to your point, I will concede that as a practical matter the two filters "work the same." In any case, were I buying "Honda" branded oil filters, I'd buy the A01, and more importantly, I'd certainly spend the additional buck or two -- think about that for a moment; that's all we're talking about, a buck or two, max -- and buy them from well-known, reliable source such as HandA, Majestic or Bernardi rather than taking a chance with what's clearly (to my eyes) a counterfeit filter of unknown quality.

Don't ya just love oil filter threads? :wink:
So how can you jump to the conclusion that the filters I bought are counterfeit. And who would bother to counterfeit an oil filter?
There's not much money to be made on something that is supposed to get changed every other oil change. Not that I would ever do that. I change them at every oil change. The only reason I bought the Honda filters is due to avoid any warranty issues, otherwise I'd use Purolator Gold. What I can't comprehend is why these japanese brands use such small filters. The filter on my Subaru was also small.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So how can you jump to the conclusion that the filters I bought are counterfeit. And who would bother to counterfeit an oil filter? . . . .
Please excuse the delayed response. I don't log on every day.

Map, as I said, to my eyes the filter in your photograph does not look like an OEM filter for several reasons. First, neither Filtech nor the Rank Group use the "H" symbol on OEM A01 or A02 filter canisters. Instead, the word "Honda" appears in capital letters on OEM filters, but not the "H" indicia. Regarding the canisters themselves, OEM filters have distinct ridges on the end of the canister. (Honda sells a "cap" filter wrench that fits the filter canister perfectly.) Those in your photograph appear "soft" or somewhat rounded (here again, to my eyes). Additionally, the indicia and wording on the canister appear somewhat fuzzy in the photograph. On OEM canisters the text and markings are crisp.

Finally, why would the Chinese manufacture counterfeit filters? Because they can sell tens of thousands of them worldwide, and the cost of manufacturing them in China is next to nothing. Simply stated, counterfeiting OEM products is a lucrative industry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ratchet, what do you think about the use of an S2000 filter? I have been using them for about 3 years now. I . . .
Robert, based solely on an advisory HMC disseminated many years ago, it's my understanding that, owning to S2k filter's construction and intended use, it works best at the higher engine speeds (6k-9k rpm) at which the S2k engine was designed to operate. Whether that means that less oil is circulated through the filter at lower engine speeds, I don't know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Please excuse the delayed response. I don't log on every day.

Map, as I said, to my eyes the filter in your photograph does not look like an OEM filter for several reasons. First, neither Filtech nor the Rank Group use the "H" symbol on OEM A01 or A02 filter canisters. Instead, the word "Honda" appears in capital letters on OEM filters, but not the "H" indicia. Regarding the canisters themselves, OEM filters have distinct ridges on the end of the canister. (Honda sells a "cap" filter wrench that fits the filter canister perfectly.) Those in your photograph appear "soft" or somewhat rounded (here again, to my eyes). Additionally, the indicia and wording on the canister appear somewhat fuzzy in the photograph. On OEM canisters the text and markings are crisp.

Finally, why would the Chinese manufacture counterfeit filters? Because they can sell tens of thousands of them worldwide, and the cost of manufacturing them in China is next to nothing. Simply stated, counterfeiting OEM products is a lucrative industry.
Then all of us Gen2 buyers have serious problems . That pic of the filter with the "H" on it is the original filter still installed on the oil filter adapter. The markings and legibility of markings matched the one I bought exactly, except for the "A" number. I will buy some filters at the dealer at some point to compare but I'm not too concerned. I'm currently on a roadtrip and have logged ~800miles so far. No issues. Highest MPGs per the dash is 25.8mpgs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Regardless, I'll buy a dumb ole WiX at the local parts store and see if she blows after the first 20 oil changes. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Then all of us Gen2 buyers have serious problems . That pic of the filter with the "H" on it is the original filter still installed on the oil filter adapter. The markings and legibility of markings matched the one I bought exactly, except for the "A" number. . . .
What's with the hostility? If your point is that I confused the two oil filters pictured, you are correct. My defense is simple enough: I saw the cellophane A02 wrapper and assumed it had come off the filter mounted on the block. I knew that filter could not be one manufactured here -- and it's not -- so I thought it was a counterfeit A02. That filter -- i.e., the one installed on the oil filter adapter -- is probably a Tokyo Roki filter supplied to American Honda by a Japanese supplier. It's not a brand sold here by American Honda to retail customers.

However, it's still my opinion that Filtech's A01 filter has better construction and much better media than Rank's A02. Are there still better filters available? Yes, several. I agree with Mr. Black (above) that Wix's 1356 is a better filter than either the A01 or the A02 -- again based on construction and media. It's also my humble opinion that Fram's Ultra Synthetic XG7317 is in a class by itself.

Bottomline: Whatever filters you choose and where you choose to buy them are matters entirely within your discretion. I don't have a dog in the fight.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
What aftermarket filters are available for use ? Are any of them better than the Honda filters ? I would imagine that this point is moot anyway if you only change your oil every 3 or 5k mi anyway like I do. I usually just wait till it gets dirty somewhat and when the oil life gets down to around 50% and usually it gets used a little on the dipstick I just change it. And while I'm at it I look over the underside of the car for leaks and other things (missing fasteners, scrapes from the curb, etc). It's easy and then you know the condition of your car all the time.

Steve first oil change coming up sooner than later.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Wix 57356
Napa Gold which is basically the same.

Hell, in all honesty if I don't run the Wix I'll probably just run a Motorcraft FL822.

I'm not a big believer in Boutique Oil Filters. An oil filter should not cost 14 bucks unless it's in a big Diesel. If that's your thing though, K&N, Mobil 1, RP all have filters that will fit this engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What's with the hostility? If your point is that I confused the two oil filters pictured, you are correct. My defense is simple enough: I saw the cellophane A02 wrapper and assumed it had come off the filter mounted on the block. I knew that filter could not be one manufactured here -- and it's not -- so I thought it was a counterfeit A02. That filter -- i.e., the one installed on the oil filter adapter -- is probably a Tokyo Roki filter supplied to American Honda by a Japanese supplier. It's not a brand sold here by American Honda to retail customers.
No hostility intended, I just don't understand how you are coming to your conclusions. Now you're indicating that the filter on the truck couldn't have been manufactured here and must have been supplied by a Japanese supplier simply because you don't recognize the markings. But the filter is clearly marked " Made in USA". It may be that the markings on new filters have changed. The markings of the filters I bought and those on the truck are identical. The size and shape of the filters are the same as well. I just finished a 2k mile road trip. No issues. I have 4 filters left. I'll keep using those till I run out then switch to WIX.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,920 Posts
I'm not sure what the numbers on the side mean but your filters are good, no worries. There are the A01 filters that don't have cardboard ends that are supposedly better but are mainly available out on the western part of the country. I get those from H and A accessories. The differences in numbers may because of the A01 and A02 filters.
I talked it directly to Bernardi about this. They consider the A02s to be the automatic replacement for the A01. I told him that I wanted the A01, and he told me no problem. So I ordered it and they put a note on it. And then I got an email saying that they were shipping me the A02s. I had to call them to get it changed. So because I tend to be picky about such things, I will not be buying oil filters from Bernardi again. But I took your advice and ordered them from H and A. The price was reasonable and I got a set of six. The part number was not listed on the set of six so I was taking a bit of a chance, but they arrived today. The part number is 15400-PLM-A01. They are made in Boston, USA by Filtech, which as far as I can tell is a subsidiary of Japan's Toyo-Roki. It appears that Roki has roots in Thailand. The 15400-PLM-A02 is manufactured in Canada by Honeywell. I found a teardown video that cuts open both filters and compares them without analysis. It's clear that the Filtech A01 is a product made with much care and attention. It has a seemingly superior set of parts and the case is thicker. The Honeywell is very similar but it's clear that its design focused on cost savings. But is the Filtech over-engineered? After all you'll only be using this for 6 to 12 months. Honeywell may well have the better design for the expected life of the product. I couldn't say that either of these filters did a better job than the other one. The "cardboard ends" that everyone talks about concerning the Honeywell oil filter is not that big a deal assuming that it holds up. The used example that's shown in the video looks fine. Here's that video.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, the A01 just looks to be a little better. I don't know if it means anything in the end though. If I remember correctly, shipping wasn't that much more coming all the way from Calfornia. I love Bernardi though, most of the stuff gets to me within a day or two. I purchased all of the RL accessories through them with price matches no problems with anything. Over the years, all of my online purchases have been from H and A, Bernardi, Majestic and Honda parts deals (Saccucci). For price matching, I have used accessories-honda.com. I usually wait until Bernardi or H and A have a Christmas sale and spend big. On a side note, I see that H and A and my usual other suspects do not have the Tonneau listed yet :frown:.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,920 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, the A01 just looks to be a little better. I don't know if it means anything in the end though. If I remember correctly, shipping wasn't that much more coming all the way from Calfornia. I love Bernardi though, most of the stuff gets to me within a day or two. I purchased all of the RL accessories through them with price matches no problems with anything. Over the years, all of my online purchases have been from H and A, Bernardi, Majestic and Honda parts deals (Saccucci). For price matching, I have used accessories-honda.com. I usually wait until Bernardi or H and A have a Christmas sale and spend big. On a side note, I see that H and A and my usual other suspects do not have the Tonneau listed yet :frown:.
I'm a big Bernardi fan too. But its shipping prices aren't just covering the cost, they are little profit center all their own. I understand their prices are low but $127 for the UPS shipment of the OEM tonneau, when it probably costs $60 or $70? Online customers can't pick up their products either. Why not? Because the in-store price is probably $999 for the Honda tonneau, while the online price is $699. As if the online and in-store worlds exist on two different planes. Plus they still have to stick you for the delivery charge. I've purchased from a lot of online Honda parts places too. Generally speaking, I purchase based on price for the specific part or accessory I want. So, for example, while I love College Hills for their descriptive copy, photographs and policies, I just never found their prices to be competitive even when you factor in delivery charges to the price comparison.

Reactions: SouthernVet

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm a big Bernardi fan too. But its shipping prices aren't just covering the cost, they are little profit center all their own. I understand their prices are low but $127 for the UPS shipment of the OEM tonneau, when it probably costs $60 or $70? Online customers can't pick up their products either. Why not? Because the in-store price is probably $999 for the Honda tonneau, while the online price is $699. As if the online and in-store worlds exist on two different planes. Plus they still have to stick you for the delivery charge. I've purchased from a lot of online Honda parts places too. Generally speaking, I purchase based on price for the specific part or accessory I want. So, for example, while I love College Hills for their descriptive copy, photographs and policies, I just never found their prices to be competitive even when you factor in delivery charges to the price comparison.
Just a bit more off topic but the dealer chain where I purchased the RL from (Lia) has an online parts website now and they have a code for an extra 15% off. The kicker is that shipping is free or you can pick it up at a dealership. It's still more expensive than Bernardi with the shipping but I haven't called anyone yet about pricing. Another local dealer was retail plus 20% or so. Then they have the nerve to sometimes offer a coupon on accessories. I understabd these dealers have to make money.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,285 Posts
Where's this Discount Code, I'm good with Free shipping over $60, and I really appreciate that they still list the "Del Sol", even if the parts available are limited, sometimes just finding the part number helps with the search.

LiaParts.com - Genuine Honda Parts & Accessories

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hate to revive an old thread, but I was looking for the same info for my 2017 RT AWD.

Part Number: 15400-PLM-A01 Filter, Oil (Filtech Toyo Roki) is for 2006-2014 Ridgeline
Part Number: 15400-PLM-A02 Filter, Oil (Honeywell) is for 2009 - 2020 Ridgeline

So obviously there is some overlap with G1 and G2, with the A02 filter being backward compatible to G1, but the A01 filter isn't stated as being forward compatible to G2. Maybe they look the same, but it has something not visible to the eye? Finer filtration media, different pressure relief valve, anti-flowback valve or pressure burst rating?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The A02 part number replaced the A01. The A01,made by FilTech, is generally considered higher quality than the A02 made by Fram. A01 is no longer manufactured. A01s and A02s are interchangeable but good luck finding an A01.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts