Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Gen 2 Tranny Flush From ATF Cooler Outlet Advisable?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
I'm considering an ATF flush from the ATF cooler outlet on my '18 BE as more efficient that 3X dump/fill. I would drain fluid out of drain plug, refill (about 3-4 qts ATF). Then remove the filter and before completing install of new filter place the coolant outlet line in a container, run the engine until a quart comes out, then add another quart and repeat until only new ATF comes out. Am I overlooking anything as to why this is not a viable procedure? Thanks.
Human body Slope Organism Font Parallel

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe that this has already been discussed?

Bill

#3 ·
Thanks. I searched for such a thread but obviously did not find it. My proposed method (which I saw for another vehicle here: ) doesn't try to use the suction line as proposed by ChrisP but to drain the pan, fill (with the 3-4 quarts that drained out) and then just take out a quart at a time from the ATF cooler exit line and refill that quart into pan until mostly clear fluid comes out of the exit line from ATF cooler. I'm not saying this method is perfect but seems like it would get similar results to the 3x drain/fill more efficiently. I guess my diagram above does not show exactly where the filtered ATF re-enters the system. Do you know if the filtered ATF re-enters into the drain pan? If it does, then I believe this process could work reasonably well.

#6 ·
I'm considering an ATF flush from the ATF cooler outlet on my '18 BE as more efficient that 3X dump/fill. I would drain fluid out of drain plug, refill (about 3-4 qts ATF). Then remove the filter and before completing install of new filter place the coolant outlet line in a container, run the engine until a quart comes out, then add another quart and repeat until only new ATF comes out. Am I overlooking anything as to why this is not a viable procedure? Thanks.
From TSB 17-025:

ATF Flush Procedure
NOTE: The term “flushing” refers to repeatedly draining and filling the transmission with Honda Genuine ATF DW-1. Other aftermarket flush systems are available, but American Honda strongly recommends that you avoid using them on any Honda vehicles.

From Honda's position statement.

Transmission flushing: This procedure is not necessary, except in very rare instances (for example, to remove improper fluids). Transmission fluid replacement (as opposed to flushing) is recommended only at the mileage intervals specified in the Honda owner's manual.

Reactions: Tommy4eyes
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.