Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Escondido Honda this morning seeking an odd ball part for a Prelude motor. On the way out, noticed this pair of late model Gen1's sitting side by side in the used car lot. Couldn't resist getting a photo of my beloved 06 commiserating with her sisters. As I was taking the picture, a hoard of commission hungry sales people were stampeding in my direction, so I hauled a$$ before they could stain my ears with sales pitches. :grin:

Sisters.jpg

Here's the asking price for 06's sisters. Seems as though the Gen2 intro hasn't driven Gen1 prices down - or perhaps I'm just skewed...

SistersPrice.jpg

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have to disagree, I think it has drove gen 1 prices down. Supply is at an all time high at least in my area. I have never seen 56 gen 1 RL's within 100miles listed on autotrader. In the last few yrs I have never seen more than 10 under 50k and I've never seen low mileage RTLs listed 24-28k either. Not to mention latest trade in value on kbb has droped over 4k in the last few months for me. Truck was coming up at 15k for trade in now 10.5-11

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
671 Posts
I've been watching 2014s with under 40K miles and they have gone down about 3K in the last 3 months.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I've seen my G1 drop $2500 or so in 6 months

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. Perhaps I've not paid enough attention. I actually thought Gen1's values would tank when Gen arrived. Those 2 used examples seemed high to me. But I'm not a shopper/seller/buyer. One thing for sure, there are more CPO Gen1's on local lots since Gen2 arrival, which presumably = Gen2 sales. Dealers walk a fine line with trade in's. Incentivizing Honda faithful buyers to go new by offering attractive trade in $ and simultaneously pricing them on used lots in a non-compete range with Gen2.

As a member the Cheap Bastard Club, a $34K 2-3 year old truck is out there, even with low miles. Then again, $45K/new as a *new normal* hasn't sunk into my aging brain. Personal perspective, of course.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Someone close to me recently bought a gen2, and looking out of his house onto both of ours, I really liked mine better. Honda quality and new sure are nice, but with the release of the gen2, it's clear to me that the gen1 is destined to be a classic. It is a unique pickup with a slanted bed and all the sudden the side view is a little more sporty looking than an pickup truck ever made that I can think of. In the short term I expect values to decrease, but it's now clear to me that the gen1 is unique and will become less of a commodity as time wears on. I'm keeping one forever now. I may replace mine that I bought in December of 2005 with a nicer example some day, but I'm pretty sure I will always own one.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
As time passes I think the prices on the G1 will drop but the newer ones will probably stabilize. I too think the G1 will be a classic and sought after by those that know them. For me all the g2 offers is a different look and lots more tech at a price well out of my reach. Much of the tech can be added after market on the G1 (most, not all). This was going to be my last truck. I planned on keeping it for a long time but now I'm thinking in a yea or 2 I'll find a newer G1 in a color I like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where I am in Florida there do not seem to be many in my price range, looking at years 2006-2008. A friend who sells at a Honda Dealer said the 2007 and up where waiting on airbag repairs and could not be shown or sold. Still only a few on his lot.
I finally found one that was a one owner locally bought and driven in very good condition. Had it about a month, it's fun to drive.
I have not seen a large drop in prices, although I no longer look at CarFax, Trader and the others every morning.
I probably asked over a dozen owners I would see at Home Depot, Gander etc how they like the RL, everyone was happy with their truck.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
There will likely be a "flurry" of inflated supply (via trade-ins) for G1s (and the minor price dip that accompanies increased supply) coincident with the front end blip of initial sales of G2. But after a while (a year maybe?) this will stabilize IMO, and normal values will return with unperturbed supply & demand. I doubt the "generation" issue will make any more difference than the normal evolution of any other model (Accord or Camry for instance).
In my case, I'm with the previous poster that "will drive it into the ground".... so macht nichts to me. She'll be 15 years with close to 300k miles when I'm pricing her out.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I was surprised when dealership offered me $24k trade-in for my 2012 RTL (~50k miles) a few weeks ago toward a new Ridgeline. I think the G1s are still selling strong, several people were looking at the used G1s on the dealership lot.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
IMHO Gen I prices won't drop. Who can afford Gen II? and there are virtually no Gen II used trucks out there. Gen I has a loyal following. Unless you can show me actual data, Gen I still commands a premium. Also consider Gen II vehicles have not reached the used market yet.

Reactions: Bob Heartthrob

·
Registered
244 Posts
Am still fetching over 29,000 cash for our 2012/2013's with max 10,000 miles or less on the odometer, all sold via Craigslist locally.

If anything, sales have been easier
Less than 10,000 miles on 4 to 5 year old trucks is pretty unusual. There are 442 2012-'13 Ridgeline for sale within a 300 mile distance with zero under 10K miles and 15 listed under 15K miles.

I would agree that market for G1 is weaker as many have come into the market as trades on newer Honda Ridgeline. IMO the valuation for G1 will strengthen in 6 to 12 months after the sudden surge of trade in inventory is gone.

Also, the buyer of a $25K Ridgeline is different than a $43K Ridgeline buyer. Quality used Ridgeline compares well in value against the new one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Less than 10,000 miles on 4 to 5 year old trucks is pretty unusual. There are 442 2012-'13 Ridgeline for sale within a 300 mile distance with zero under 10K miles and 15 listed under 15K miles.

I would agree that market for G1 is weaker as many have come into the market as trades on newer Honda Ridgeline. IMO the valuation for G1 will strengthen in 6 to 12 months after the sudden surge of trade in inventory is gone.

Also, the buyer of a $25K Ridgeline is different than a $43K Ridgeline buyer. Quality used Ridgeline compares well in value against the new one.
personally i would be checking carmax for odometer readings just to make sure that there was no tampering. Though its not definitive it can assist in the search.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Until I get used to the look of the new front facia of the G2, to me the value of my 2014 stands in my eyes. Love the upgrade tech, ride and fuel mileage, but can't get my head wrapped around the front look and the lack of center armrest console.

When my lease is up, problem is that there most likely won't be anything out there that suits my needs like the RL can. Looking at them on the dealer lots next to the new Pilot pisses me off as the front end not only looks better on the Pilot but also looks higher off ground without the rake. Be almost temped to replace the whole front of the G2 with the Pilot front facia. Curious if it can be done.

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 15 of 15 Posts