Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read and watched (YouTube) a handfull of Gen2s having issues with their 6ATs overheating in different situations. I struggle to find many reports on the Gen1's 5AT overheating, but I'm sure they are out there.

Does anyone have information that would suggest the 6AT has more temperature management difficulties than the old 5AT?

Overheating.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts
Happy Memorial Day, @McChizzle . . . and good question. You perhaps recall that we've been towing our travel trailer with both our previous G1 (2011 RTL) and our current G2 (2018 RTL-E). Neither truck ever displayed the overheated transmission message. However . . . earlier this year we took our current Ridgeline in for a B12 service and while there I asked the mechanic to check out the buzzing sound that I'd been hearing for over a year. (Turns out it is the VCM.) But the mechanic noted that he detected a "stick and slip" condition in the tranny that led to a new torque converter. I posted about this back in March noting that the tech could not positively state a cause for this other than "maybe" the tranny fluid getting hot. Or, "maybe" a faulty torque converter. No one at the dealer knew what the actual maximum acceptable transmission fluid temperature was for the Ridgeline (surprise, surprise), but the shop foreman contacted the Honda Tech Line folks . . . who (naturally) had to run that factoid down and get back to him. So after a couple of days he reported that Honda says the maximum temp allowed for tranny fluid temperature is 263°F. And I can't imagine that any fluid would last long at that temp, so staying well below that is the goal.

Like I said, we've never had an overheating message, and when I asked him if my fluid showed evidence of shearing, he said "no" just normal wear. So who knows? We towed this same rig (consistently weighing 4600-4700lbs with tongue weights of 480+lbs) for 12,200+ miles with our G1. Never a hint of a problem. We were aggressive with rear diff fluid changes and oil changes - getting ahead of the Maintenance Minder (sorry @zroger73). And we towed with that truck in some fairly hilly areas with nary a problem. But, absent the ability to know what our transmission temperatures were, I haven't any empirical data to offer - just experiential. And our G1 experience was rock solid.

But having a new torque converter installed in our 2018 spooked me a little bit, so a couple of months ago I installed a Scanguage II that allows me to dynamically monitor our transmission fluid temperature as well as a wealth of other data points. It has been a good confidence builder. When not towing and from a cold start, the max TFT might get to 175-180°F on a hot Houston day in traffic. And it is a dynamic number that will vary with the factors you would expect: acceleration rate, speed, ambient temperature, terrain, etc. When towing our rig, the absolute max TFT I've seen so far was a brief spike to 224°F on a very long uphill grade on I-10 westbound from Junction, Texas day before yesterday. Factor in that we were experiencing 20mph winds with higher gusts and on a steady climb from South Llano River State Park in Junction to that grade that took us to well over 3000' ASL, and I actually was pretty pleased. And very quickly the TFT then settled to a range of ~208°F to 218°F. It varied and moved quite dynamically. The rest of last Friday's run to Davis Mountains State Park continued the climb to where I am sitting at our campsite at just over 5200' ASL. TFTs were never over 220° and mostly well below. Of course, we had slowed to view the stunning scenery out here with lots of sharp turns as we climbed on SH117 to the park.

If I had installed a Scanguage II in our G1 I might have messed in my pants knowing the TFTs that truck endured, because we put that thing to the test. Maybe the most extreme was the southbound drive from Houston to the Rio Grande Valley 3 years ago; 15-18mph headwinds and ambient temperatures of 110-113°F. Absolutely no indications of any kind of overheating - transmission or otherwise. We loved that 2011 RTL.

That said, we do appreciate the expanded capabilities of the G2, and in this 21 day camping journey we will continue to make use of the truck. From the Davis Mountains in West Texas we head north to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in northern New Mexico. We will climb to elevations in Red River of almost 9000'. Bobcat Pass ought to be a fun challenge on the approach to Red River as we tow our rig to our campground. We'll see how things go.

Apologies for the long discourse, but you've asked a salient question that really needs some empirical data. Maybe somebody out there has installed in their G1 some ability to monitor their TFT. But given our qualitative experiences I thought I'd chime in. Regardless, we are still happy Ridgeline owners who happen to take advantage of the full scope of the truck's designed capabilities.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a ScanGauge in my '13 and it pulls ATF temp right up. Your experience in TX won't have taxed the tranny in a later G1, Last Train. The ATF temp _will_ run up under temperatures like those, but you have to add in a long uphill grade towing a trailer with your foot on the floor. On the flat the G1 is pretty stable even towing a moderate load in very high temps.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the screen shot from TFL above, the Gen2 transmission overheated while slowly climbing up a dirt road on the backside of a mountain. That slow crawl with no load was enough to cook the DW-1 fluid. So I can conclude that heavy loads at speed is not always a factor in transmission torture.

·
Registered
828 Posts
For sure. The ultra-sloppy torque converters in modern cars heat ATF very quickly if their clutch is not locked up. Add in no cooling because of the slow crawl and you have a recipe for quickly-escalating temps. I can heat my ATF quickly at the end of a 40-mile drive at speed by simply backing slowly up my steep driveway.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
@Last Train, when you say you installed a SG II, do you mean a permanent installation?

Does anyone know if the SG II will pull the trans temp from all models of the G1 years? Or just certain years? That's the one scan tool I never bothered to buy. ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not Last Train but I've got an older SG II I used on my Fords - it's a non-permanent tool that plugs into the OBD port. You can make it 'permanent' leaving it connected all the time and mounting the (hard wired) display with a patch of Velcro if ya want ;)

As to Honda compatibility and outputs (including tranny temps) for various years, check out this page on the SG website: https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/honda-acura/

Looks like I need to send my old unit in for the $25 firmware upgrade to be able to use it on my '19 RL :surprise: :smile: .

Not saying the SG II is better or worse than other similar devices but it is compact, relatively easy to use, seems rugged, and the support seems good. Mine has held-up since 2009 and $25 for the upgrade to gain the latest/current features strikes me as reasonable.

Thanks @McChizzle for starting this thread and to contributors - subscribed and following with great interest.

·
Registered
398 Posts
@Last Train, when you say you installed a SG II, do you mean a permanent installation?
Well as permanent as my wife will let me leave it "installed." Seriously, fortunately the Scanguage II display fits perfectly fine sitting in a cubby just below the G2's A/C controls and just above a cubby/tray immediately in front of the shifter. (See attached pic.)

We didn't use that space for much of anything, anyway. The instrument's cable runs neatly in the same gap as I previously had run the cable for our Tekonsha Primus brake controller; i.e. between the trim piece on the lower dash and the trim framing the console beside the driver' right knee. There is plenty of Scanguage cable to reach the OBDII port under the left side of the dash. I just dressed the excess cable behind the trim that is under the steering wheel.

The brake controller has stayed "permanently" mounted in place with heavy duty Velcro, and so far we have just left the Scanguage in place where you see it. But either/both could be quickly removed if needs be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as permanent as my wife will let me leave it "installed." ...
You know what they say, "happy wife, happy life." Looks good Last Train.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Oooh, what a source of inspiration you are @Last Train , thank you !

Without a doubt there's another mod to my 'not a CD player cubby' coming down the pike to incorporate my old (soon to be firmware updated) SGII, 'permanently' filling the rest of the space next to my Redarc brake controller. I won't miss the cubby at all, never use 'em, hate stuff rattling in cubbies in my cars.

Pic from my brake controller install post showing remaining space for the SGII (aka tranny temp monitoring gauge ;) ):

And having pulled that cubby to drill/route the brake controller wire, I'm now confident I can drill / route the SGII cable hidden from behind without any dash disassembly :)

Sorry for the tangent, got a bit excited by Last Train's inspired idea - back to the real topic ….

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, CentexG2 was a bit more industrious in pulling that cubby out and drilling to run his cable(s). This afternoon I showed my wife this thread to show how I was publicly grateful for her support in my faux "installation" of these two devices. So I made some points with that. However, that was before CentexG2 has shared his more professional, true installation! Not sure she will go along with that approach! 😳

On the SG2, it does come pre-installed with a wide array of data points that I've had some fun playing with. However, returning a TFT is not a factory installed data point. But a cool feature of the device is that it allows you to customize a number of additional data points, and these vary with vehicle make. Fortunately, they do offer the TFT for the Ridgeline as well as some other available data.

You will need to go to the web site for Scanguage and drill down in the support area to find available additional codes required to generate such returns as a TFT. The programming is not hard at all, but it is a bit tedious. Seems I recall the entry screens on the device time out pretty quickly, so after a couple of aborted tries, my wife sat beside me in the truck and read the 4 lines of data required for the TFT so I could more easily get through the procedure.

There are lots of other features that I'm finding valuable - especially while towing - as I use the Trip function, for instance, to monitor specific items. Don't want to turn this into a commmercial, so I'll just stop there and hit the sack. We will be hitched up and ready to depart the Davis Mountains State Park by no later than 7AM for a five hour run to SE New Mexico. Winds will be gusting up to 30mph in the afternoon, so we need to put some miles behind us quickly.

But back to the Scanguage II, since winds obviously affect mpg, I'll be watching the Gallons per Hour and similar data points to see how the truck is performing in those conditions. At least it breaks some of the monotony of driving and towing in the desert!

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I have a ScanGauge in my '13 and it pulls ATF temp right up. Your experience in TX won't have taxed the tranny in a later G1, Last Train. The ATF temp _will_ run up under temperatures like those, but you have to add in a long uphill grade towing a trailer with your foot on the floor. On the flat the G1 is pretty stable even towing a moderate load in very high temps.
How is the SG pulling ATF temps in a G1? If so, can a free software, such as TorqueLite, pull those as well with some PDIs?

This has been discussed in many threads that I have read, but with no result for a G1.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am going to try and do this with the Blue Driver module.

I see no reason why it won't be viewable.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I thought the same but have not been able to find the transmission temperature. Please report back if you can find it.
Holy balls this new forum software is a no go.

Anyways, sorry if this was common knowledge to many but it is in fact correct that you can not see TFT with Bluedriver. Kind of a bummer since I already have that.

I am going to be towing at 5k lbs a few times a year in a more cool climate but still don't want to fry the transmission of course. @Last Train post does give me more confidence in the Ridgelines capability.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
Holy balls this new forum software is a no go.

Anyways, sorry if this was common knowledge to many but it is in fact correct that you can not see TFT with Bluedriver. Kind of a bummer since I already have that.

I am going to be towing at 5k lbs a few times a year in a more cool climate but still don't want to fry the transmission of course. @Last Train post does give me more confidence in the Ridgelines capability.
Yes @Mr. Black we're all struggling, and the struggle is real, some of the discussion is contained here: We are now Live - Community Feedback Thread

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I have a ScanGauge in my '13 and it pulls ATF temp right up. Your experience in TX won't have taxed the tranny in a later G1, Last Train. The ATF temp will run up under temperatures like those, but you have to add in a long uphill grade towing a trailer with your foot on the floor. On the flat the G1 is pretty stable even towing a moderate load in very high temps.
I am pleasantly surprised that the ScanGuage can pull up the ATF temp on a GenI! Its very odd the ScanGauge can do that yet no one seems to have been able to do it using a the Torque app, Bluedriver etc.
Do you happen to know if you can pull up outside ambient air temperature on the ScanGauge? My Sport doesn't have the outside temp but I do believe it actually has the sensor just not the capability on the instrument cluster to display it. If it possible to display outside temp on the ScanGuage, I might just have to pull the plug on one, particularly with all the other data that it can display.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised that the ScanGuage can pull up the ATF temp on a GenI! Its very odd the ScanGauge can do that yet no one seems to have been able to do it using a the Torque app, Bluedriver etc.
Do you happen to know if you can pull up outside ambient air temperature on the ScanGauge? My Sport doesn't have the outside temp but I do believe it actually has the sensor just not the capability on the instrument cluster to display it. If it possible to display outside temp on the ScanGuage, I might just have to pull the plug on one, particularly with all the other data that it can display.
WelI believe only later G1’s can use that as the early ‘06-‘08 either don’t have the output or it’s not in the same place (CANBUS) changes/requirements are what makes it available for later G1’s. Don’t get @speedlever started because the requirements are for ‘08 (for CANBUS) if I recall correctly but his doesn’t have it and he’s never gotten any better answer from Honda.

·
Registered
902 Posts
WelI believe only later G1’s can use that as the early ‘06-‘08 either don’t have the output or it’s not in the same place (CANBUS) changes/requirements are what makes it available for later G1’s. Don’t get @speedlever started because the requirements are for ‘08 (for CANBUS) if I recall correctly but his doesn’t have it and he’s never gotten any better answer from Honda.
The 'explanations' seen by clicking the "+" on each of the year ranges on this ScanGaugeII Honda-specific webpage, and further text down the page, may provide a small bit of enlightenment about changes pertinent to the topic during the life of the RL: https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/honda-acura/

Just FYI

1 - 20 of 82 Posts