Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Holy balls this new forum software is a no go.

Anyways, sorry if this was common knowledge to many but it is in fact correct that you can not see TFT with Bluedriver. Kind of a bummer since I already have that.

I am going to be towing at 5k lbs a few times a year in a more cool climate but still don't want to fry the transmission of course. @Last Train post does give me more confidence in the Ridgelines capability.
So maybe our towing experience this afternoon will bolster your confidence a bit. We have been towing our rig to and through West Texas (Davis Mountains - ~6000' ASL) and now into northern New Mexico (Sangre de Cristo Mountains). You can understand that we have been climbing steadily from the plains of the Llano Escatado of SE New Mexico ~4000'+ ASL to our present campsite in Red River, New Mexico. None of our numerous grades today presented a challenge to our '18 RTL-E, and our TFT ranged from the low 200°F to the low 220°F. Ambient temperatures were in the low 70°s and dropping into the 60°s as we climbed higher (it will be in the mid 30°s tonight).

For example, leaving I-25 we turned west on NM 58 and then US 64 headed toward Cimmaron Canyon State Park. This was a steady climb that took us through the park's winding US 64 at speeds as low as 25 mph to a maximum of 45 mph. The truck performed beautifully with TFTs as noted above - with one exception. There was one grade at low speed (due to the winding highway) when the TFT creeped up to 226°F, but it quickly dropped back to the lower 200°s after the grade was crested.

And in this afternoon's approach to Red River our truck was an absolute champion in its most difficult challenge to date: climbing and then descending Bobcat Pass. (Our travel trailer for this trip weighed 4650lbs with a tongue weight of 490lbs.) Heading north from Eagle Nest this pass has a 6%-8% uphill grade for 2 miles with curves with speeds varying from 25-45mph. The summit has a sign posting the altitude at 9820' ASL. No problem at all maintaining the posted speed limits on the way up, One interesting thing I'll note is that on the way up Bobcat Pass, there were two 1/2 ton pickups following me, and they were not towing anything, but I never held them up. There were multiple opportunities for them to pass us, but neither ever made the attempt.

Finally, the northbound downhill descent into Red River is about 4 miles at a 7%-8% grade with 30-35mph curves. I know that many have expressed concerns about the Ridgeline's brakes, but despite towing almost 4,700lbs on that downhill run I never had any sense that I was "on the edge" of losing control. I used the accepted mountain driving technique of cresting the summit at the target downhill speed, then as you accelerate, stab the brakes hard to slow down below target speed and release to allow the brakes to cool (both truck and trailer). And I dropped the tranny into Low. In summary it was a confident run both going up and coming down the pass.

Hope our experiences will give you a context for confidence in using your truck as you noted in your post.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised that the ScanGuage can pull up the ATF temp on a GenI! Its very odd the ScanGauge can do that yet no one seems to have been able to do it using a the Torque app, Bluedriver etc.
Do you happen to know if you can pull up outside ambient air temperature on the ScanGauge? My Sport doesn't have the outside temp but I do believe it actually has the sensor just not the capability on the instrument cluster to display it.
If I've tried to pull ambient, I've forgotten about it. IAT (intake air temp) is a good proxy for me, as I'm almost always on the highway. I subtract several degrees and that matches quite closely with a thermometer stuck out the window in most cases. Sitting in traffic messes this up, of course.

·
Registered
828 Posts
For any with ScanGauges and G1 Ridgelines, here's the code to get ATF temp:

TXD:1DF1222201
RXF:032400000000
RXD:2808
MTH:00090005FFD8
NAM:ATF

That actually came from someone on here about 5 years ago, who got it from the ScanGauge people.

This coding did not work for all G1 drivers back at that time. I cannot explain or recall why not. It works properly for me on my '13.

·
Super Moderator
22,666 Posts
For any with ScanGauges and G1 Ridgelines, here's the code to get ATF temp:

TXD:1DF1222201
RXF:032400000000
RXD:2808
MTH:00090005FFD8
NAM:ATF

That actually came from someone on here about 5 years ago, who got it from the ScanGauge people.

This coding did not work for all G1 drivers back at that time. I cannot explain or recall why not. It works properly for me on my '13.
I wonder if that has to do with CANBUS vs 9141-2 protocols? Up through 2008, Honda still used the older 9141-2 protocols instead of the CANBUS protocol which was supposed to be fully implemented by 2008. My RL still uses the 9141-2 protocol.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You may be right about the protocol.

I think I missed the point of the pics, though? That looks like the std OBDII connector, which is what my pickup has.

·
Super Moderator
6,847 Posts
You may be right about the protocol.

I think I missed the point of the pics, though? That looks like the std OBDII connector, which is what my pickup has.
I think the point @speedlever is making is what “pin’s” his ‘08 RTS has and is looking for confirmation that the pins are correct: 4-5-7-9-12-14-16

·
Registered
828 Posts
A-ha!
...I’ve no idea. :) I’ll try to get a look tomorrow, before it gets to a thousand degrees.

·
Super Moderator
22,666 Posts
According to everything I've read, beginning with MY 2008, all cars are supposed to be CANBUS. But as can be seen from the pinouts on my OBD2 connector, my 2008 is still 9141-2. Never have understood how Honda bypassed the requirement and Honda has not responded to my inquiries in that regard.

I suspect the difference in protocols factors into the information available in the data stream.

I think the point @speedlever is making is what “pin’s” his ‘08 RTS has and is looking for confirmation that the pins are correct: 4-5-7-9-12-14-16
Sorta. What I'm showing is that my OBD2 connector does not comply with the requirement that all MY 2008 and on vehicles sold in the US comply with CANBUS protocols.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Man, more and more threads about Gen2 transmissions overheating, here's the latest one: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/overheating-transmission-and-cylinder-4-misfire-on-2018.219505/

Because I tow a little over the limit with my Gen1 (much lest these past two years), with no issues other than frequent trans fluid changes, I am glad I am still driving my Gen1. This, the 2nd row passanger space (door opening), and the overall looks of the front-half have me questioning an upgrade to a Gen2.

I am looking forward to seeing what Honda does to the 2020 model. Granted, it's probably not going to be a radical change, but sometimes Honda will surprise us. When the Gen1 refresh occured for the 2009 model year, it was quite extensive (new engine, new trans gearing, new fascia, new bumpers and hitch, new cluster, etc.) that it make me take a second look at the Ridgeline and it eventually pushed me over the edge to by it vs a Chevy Avalanche (i.e. never say never).

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@McChizzle , can you point me to threads with G2 trans temp indicating a overheating issue?
I used the advanced search site for Gen2 filtering and although it did not filter as well as I had hopped, it worked well enough: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/search As I read some of these threads, others pile on with similar issues vs starting their own thread. It's all anecdotal but, like you, I've been on the ROC for a bit and don't recall, nor can I find, that many Gen1 trans temp problem posts (they do exist but not that many).

It makes me wonder if the slightly smaller/redesigned trans cooler, how the computer is programmed, and/or the design of the 6AT--with its extra gear--is contributing to this potential increase in reports on Gen2 trans temp issues.

Crawling slowing up a mountain pass with no weight (one driver) in the Gen2 and having the trans overhead while none of the other mid-size trucks have that problem is really telling to me and makes me keep an eye out for more signs of this issue.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Crawling slowing up a mountain pass with no weight (one driver) in the Gen2 and having the trans overhead while none of the other mid-size trucks have that problem is really telling to me and makes me keep an eye out for more signs of this issue.
Well maybe they shouldn't crawl then lol. ;)

We have been towing a 5500ish pound TT all summer long with our Gen 2. So far it has done absolutely nothing weird in the near 1k miles of towing now mostly always in D4. Even cruising up and over some of Washingtons largest passes.

If she blows she blows. I'll fix it properly and get rid of it.

Would be a damn shame though as we really love the Honda for all of it's aspects. Sadly it may be getting replaced next year though. We have it on a hybrid lease for our business.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Out of the 4 trucks, two have pro package ( Toyota and Nissan), so comparing them is unfair. The GMC on the other hand is similar to the Colorado and has low range. . It was a 4WD and drove just like the Wrangler Sahara with 4WD and low range.
I won't be surprised that on this demanding real off-road, the Ridgeline transmission started to overheat. Ridgeline, any of the trims, is not in the category the other trucks are in. This is an apples to oranges test.

I want to know under what circumstances the G2 Ridgeline threw a trans overheating warning under normal driving/towing condition. I recall one person here talking about it and having it resolved with some sort of trans software update.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Nice looking rig @Mr. Black, thanks for the video.

Noting your mention in the video of height comments by others …. looks like maybe your Fun Finder uses beam axles with leaf springs. Nothing wrong with that of course, but that'd account for some of the generous frame ground clearance / overall height (torsion axles allowing a trailer frame to sit a bit lower lacking need for axle 'bump clearance', which can be both good and less-good). You're sure not gonna 'drag your tail' on driveway ramps ! :D

Again, nice looking rig, hope it gives you lots of happy trailering smiles ! :)

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Out of the 4 trucks, two have pro package ( Toyota and Nissan), so comparing them is unfair. The GMC on the other hand is similar to the Colorado and has low range. . It was a 4WD and drove just like the Wrangler Sahara with 4WD and low range.
It's plenty fair for they were not running in low range up this trail and their packages do nothing to their transmissions. Mid-size trucks should compete with one another. Granted, they are focused on being good at different things and Honda has admitted that they are not trying to compete with other mid-sizers; the RL fills a niche not filled by others (according to Honda). Regardless, this is not a hard test and provides a sign that maybe there is a heat management issue that should be looked at by those that push their RL like Mr. Black and myself.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Man, more and more threads about Gen2 transmissions overheating, here's the latest one: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/overheating-transmission-and-cylinder-4-misfire-on-2018.219505/

Because I tow a little over the limit with my Gen1 (much lest these past two years), with no issues other than frequent trans fluid changes, I am glad I am sticking with my Gen1. This, the 2nd row passanger space (door opening), and the overall looks of the front-half have convinced me that the Gen2 is probably not for me.

However, I am looking forward to seeing what Honda does to the 2020 model. Given it's probably not going to be a radical change, sometimes Honda will surprise us. When the Gen1 refresh occured for the 2009 model year, it was quite extensive (new engine, new trans gearing, new fascia, new bumpers and hitch, new cluster, etc.) that it make me take a second look at the Ridgeline and it eventually pushed me over the edge to by it vs a Chevy Avalanche (i.e. never say never).
Still appreciating and following this thread along with the other 2G tranny threads, thanks @McChizzle :)

I hear what you're saying about the RL tranny 'evolution': 1G 5-spd > 2G 6-spd > yet to be seen 2020 (9-spd?). I'm not sure if the evolution is a good one for trailer-towing owners (that's one reason we're following threads such as this), but I certainly understand, and to a certain extent share, your 'concern'. In my case, the possibility that 2020 will bring a required 9-spd on upper-level trims (as with the current Pilot), or across the board, had a lot to do with me going ahead on the 2019 MY purchase (I'm just not confident that the 'advantages' of the 9-spd would prove to be a long-term advantage for me).

I might hope that more trailer towing 2G owners will install a TFT gauge as discussed earlier in this thread. While obviously that in itself won't reduce tranny temp ….
  • it might give owners an early warning so they can try mitigative measures on-the-fly such as selecting a different gear range
  • early warning might allow pre-emptive 'pull-over-and-cool-off', which while inconvenient and certainly undesirable, IMO may be more desirable than having the RL's 'forced' protective schemes kick-in at an inopportune time or place
  • it would support posting more quantified anecdotal experience here for the benefit of the community

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I would have to disagree; the reason is basically all three have low range. What I am getting at is that they are mechanically equipped to handle that and in many cases would have no issues. Maybe the drive mode was under the wrong selection when Roman was driving it? Since it does not have a traditional Low gearing, he may have spun the wheels too much to cause the overheating issue?

Below are a couple of videos I saw a while ago done by TFL with no issues.

G2 Super Ike Gauntlet using a 4800lb trailer and two occupants >>
(No transmission overheating)

G2 on Gold mine Hill (no overheating) >>

G2 being recommended for a common man >>

So if we are going to take one video driven by one driver and ignore two other videos driven by another, of the same automotive journal company/outlet, I would have to say that the determination of the G2's in-capability is premature.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
All true smufguy--I agree with your statement--but your missing the point. This and member posts about overheated trans are signs of something interesting going on. Potential buyers and owners that push their RL should be interested in figuring this out so we know where that limit is and under what conditions, not dismissing it. Every vehicle has it's limits. We are starting to see signs that suggest there is a limit with the Gen2 6AT; now to figure out under what conditions does that limit exist.

For me, this adds to my discomfort since I push my RL. As more post on this, I hope to see a pattern emerge so I can decide for myself if the way I drive I would be pudding my future Gen2 in the same predicament or not. My Gen1 is still running great, so I have time to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I believe I get the point, what I am struggling to understand is under what circumstances are these 'members' experiencing the transmission overheating issue. For example, when I encounter an issue, I hook up trusty and free Torque app and look at the following
  • Coolant temp
  • Engine Load
  • Intake air temp
  • MAF readout
  • Engine Revs
  • Short term Fuel Trim
  • Timing adv
  • Throttle position (throttle %)
This gives me an insight to what occurred and have a better ground to work from. If the members complaining of the overheating transmission could be a bit more detailed, narrowing an issue would be easy.

Anyway, My search only coughed up two relevant links (the search is indeed awful)

Mr. One-hit-wonder >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/transmission-overheated-while-towing.212800/#post-3006882

Ongoing & unresolved >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/overheating-transmission-and-cylinder-4-misfire-on-2018.219505/#post-3079846.

Below is a customer's review (Andreas Modl 06/2019)

Basically everything >> https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2017/honda/ridgeline/rtl-t-4x2-crew-cab-5-3-bed/consumer-reviews

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe I get the point, what I am struggling to understand is under what circumstances are these 'members' experiencing the transmission overheating issue. For example, when I encounter an issue, I hook up trusty and free Torque app and look at the following
  • Coolant temp
  • Engine Load
  • Intake air temp
  • MAF readout
  • Engine Revs
  • Short term Fuel Trim
  • Timing adv
  • Throttle position (throttle %)
This gives me an insight to what occurred and have a better ground to work from. If the members complaining of the overheating transmission could be a bit more detailed, narrowing an issue would be easy.

Anyway, My search only coughed up two relevant links (the search is indeed awful)

Mr. One-hit-wonder >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/transmission-overheated-while-towing.212800/#post-3006882

Ongoing & unresolved >> https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/overheating-transmission-and-cylinder-4-misfire-on-2018.219505/#post-3079846.

Below is a customer's review (Andreas Modl 06/2019)

Basically everything >> https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2017/honda/ridgeline/rtl-t-4x2-crew-cab-5-3-bed/consumer-reviews
Yes, 26K miles (42K Km) on a 2018 AWD Sport Ridgeline pulling an 8' wide travel trailer weighing 4200 pound fully loaded for 1/2 of that odometer reading and I need to replace the ATF. It's burnt and the truck is exhibiting Judder (Google Honda TSB 17-025 and 17-026). Honda disregards the swaying RPM that I showed them as the torque converter fails to stay locked up hopefully just due to the degraded ATF. BTW, those TSBs listed here are not honored in Canada, so I will be doing the 3x drain and flush next week on my own dime. I'm concerned and not very happy. To monitor things, I bought, installed and entered the custom codes into a Scan Gauge II to clearly see the ATF temp. The next time I tow the travel trailer will be revealing.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts