Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a tire with a soft, quiet ride with reasonable handling and wear. I have Michelin LTX M/S with 20k miles but would like something with more of a car-like ride. Someone has offered me $350 for mine....if he shows up. :)

Any suggestions? Consumer Reports rated the General #1 and the Cooper #4 with the Mich a close #5. $ matter....and the price really makes the General #1 in my book unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Rookie, I've burned through plenty of tires over the years with different vehicles. Others can support that the Michelins are better than any of the other tires you're looking at. With only 20K miles on them, they have plenty of good meat left. I sold mine with 40k miles for that same price as you stated. In my opinion the Generals are junk I don't care what consumer reports state. The Coopers would be the better of the two. My .02 is there is a reason why the Generals and Coopers for that matter are a fraction of the cost of the Michelins. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you, no offense pls, just giving my opinion, that is what this board is all about...

What ever you decide, please make sure to come back and tell us and show us pictures!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only got 45k on my OEM Michelins and they seem to be wearing very well. I fully expect 70k plus. I am sorely tempted to purchase the same ones. I'm sort of looking at the MTX2(?) or whatever the next gen is.
I've read about the Generals and they sound impressive. But (and this is stupid, I warn you) they are the most butt ugly, generic, big box brand, found it on a used import vehicle tire I've ever seen. But...on the other hand I've read some really glowing reviews of how well they handle.
Look around and do your research.
I think Cooper is or was actually made by Kelly Springfield. Hankook and Kumho may bear looking into as well. I always try to get in mind what I want to buy pretty far in advance so I WON'T be STUCK buying junk just to get home. And my last bit of advice...buy tires before you HAVE to buy them. If you show up somewhere with steel belts poking out of all four tires you are at the mercy of whatever imbecile is behind the counter. And at that point you WILL pay more for whatever tire you buy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Cooper Discoverer CTS on my ridge. I love them. They are every bit as quiet as the stock Michelins were. I have done some light offroading with them as well and they do great. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I just put a set of General HTS on. I'm having a vibration problem that seems to be out of round tires. I balanced them myself the first time, then took them to a higher speed balancer to have them balanced. Still have the same problem. There is a definite flat spot on two of the tires that I can feel when driving over 65 mph. Other than that, the tires are quieter than OEM and seem to ride better also.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I just put a set of General HTS on. I'm having a vibration problem that seems to be out of round tires. I balanced them myself the first time, then took them to a higher speed balancer to have them balanced. Still have the same problem. There is a definite flat spot on two of the tires that I can feel when driving over 65 mph. Other than that, the tires are quieter than OEM and seem to ride better also.
Update: Well, I had the tires "road-force" balanced. One of the tires was still slightly out of balance specs. The ride is much better, but still the OEMs had less vibration. Most of the higher speed vibration has disappeared, but I still feel a little "resonance," for lack of a better term. Around highway cruising speeds I still feel a little highway vibration that comes and goes. It's most prevalent on new asphalt paving. Even with the slight vibration, the tires produce less road noise than the Michelins, and the ride is good also.

·
Registered
442 Posts
How are the Cooper CTS tires in the snow??

I don't see any siping on their tires so I really want to know how they handle the winter weather.

I don't see how tires that feel like they are flat spotted ride better than the Michelin tires. Mine were loud when I took them off but they handled very well.

I just didn't like the sidewall and tread cracking I had and the Michelin dealer telling me it was normal when the other two dealers told me it was dry rot.

I put on Nokian WR SUV tires and overall like them but they are louder than stock and a little harsh riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts