Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess this belongs here since it's an "How-to" question.

1) For changing the VTM-4 fluid. Is there anything special required to add the fluid to the differential, such as a pump? Seems I read that, but not sure. I'm aware of the new gaskets needed for the 2 screws that have to come out.

2) Has anyone noticed that Maintenance "A" is only for the oil, not the oil filter? The RL schedule is basically like the Pilot, change the oil every 7,500 miles and the oil filter every 15,000 miles. I change the oil filter every time I change the oil, but was wondering why Honda would recommend changing it only at 15,000 miles and if anyone actually follows this recommendation?

3) Looks like the air filter and cabin filter require changing at 30,000 miles. I suppose this is a look and see filter, as in if it looks dirty, then replace it. Has anyone replaced these filters yet and how many miles did you have on your RL when changing them?

4) The maintenence minder didn't recommend the tire rotation until B6 (about 13,300 miles for me), but the service guy at Honda told me I shouldn't go over 10,000 miles, especially with the weight of the truck. Any opinions on this?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions, but a lot of the RL maintenance seems to be very different from everything else.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know much about the oil questions, but #4 regarding tire rotation is an easy one. We change the oil in our Ford delivery vans every 3,000 miles. I ordered my drivers to go to the Firestone tire store where we purchase our tires to get them rotated (it is free as long as we buy from them) every OTHER oil change. Basically every 6,000 miles. But, of course, that is all in-town driving. So, it might be different for your application. I will probably rotate mine before 10,000 miles (likely 6,000).

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For the filter, I don't think I have really been given much choice on this in the past, I generally service my cars about once a year. So with each service I have them do B service not A service. This matches up pretty well with what is recommended by Honda in the service book with the Civic. I generally don't drive enough to need to service my cars more than once a year. The Civic is 32 months old and only has 14700 miles on it, the service window for it is 10k miles or 1 year which ever comes first. The same goes for the Ridgeline, it is when the service minder tells you or 1 year which ever comes first. If I make it to the 1 year mark I always do the B service, it costs more but since I go in so infrequently it is worth it. The thing I find interesting is the engine coolant in Hondas seem to only need to be replaced replaced after 120k miles.

By the way, I am using the Civic information to figure out what additional things I should do because the Ridgeline manual doesn't come with much information. It would be nice if it knew enough to figure out when the last time it was serviced and to set up the appropriate list of things to service if it was for a year. Although the book says I only need to do A schedule after a year.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The rear differential fill plug is in a rather awarkard place to add fluid ... I bought a hand pump at a local auto parts supply to actually pump the oil into the differential. The pump was less then $15.00 and I can use it over so it will come in handy. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts