Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone posts an issue they had. If that gets re-posted in 6 different threads or possible multiple forums, that issue is now searchable a half a dozen different ways by Google. Then someone can write a review siting an issue that was searched and confirmed by multiple sources and can say something stupid like "A widely reported issue with the new Ridgeline". They don't have to track the story back to the fact that it was only one login ID that the issue originated from, that's not important or news worthy.

The more it's talked about the bigger the problem is perceived.

So you have to ask yourself, who would do this and why; maybe they are just haters and trolls whose only goal is to get a rise out of people and cause turmoil. Maybe it's the competition trying to make their product look better. Maybe it's someone who can't purchase one and it's just a case of sour grapes.

The flip side is there are some of us who are here to learn, get legitimate feedback and share a common experience. Of course there is going to always be issues with mass produced items and the more complex the more issues, especially with new ones. It's aggravating when you spend 30 to 40 thousand dollars on something and it isn't perfect, such is life. We spend more on houses and the same thing happens. As long as Honda backs up their product we should be fine, if not put out a bit.

I have been a part of this forum for a few weeks now, and I have seen some problems brought up in so many threads in so many different ways by the same people and it gives the impression that it is a wide spread issue. Than someone comes a long and says Honda has real problems with the new Ridgeline, it's a load of crap if you ask me. I understand why people post an issue different times, we are trying to inform each other, but when someone else sites that problem and blows it out of proportion now it?s not informative information it's headline generating for their own purposes.

Just my 2 cents, waiting on change.

· Registered
328 Posts
Agreed, this happens on all forums of course, but this one seems to be particularly bad. I think it's because there aren't that many Ridgelines in the world. Plus, the new model has been highly anticipated (here) for a few years and was just released after a long and boring gap in production, so lots of folks out there ready to chomp. I mean, there were long threads about "issues" well before a single vehicle even hit the dealership. Pile on top of that this "Joe" fellow who is an "industry insider". I've been following his posts and he strikes me as an ex worker who is hanging on to his glory days. He talks to his buds who still work in the plants and they gripe to them about the "new engineers" who don't know how to do anything worth a damn. I see this type of talk at my own job, folks who don't like change and look at the past with rose colored glasses. They criticize every flaw they find while ignoring all of the good things that are going on. I don't mean to slander someone completely, it's possible I'm wrong, and there's truth to be found everywhere just as much as there are exaggerations, misguided intentions, and lies. I've just seen a few things that glow on my skeptic radar. For instance, Joe ranted that the G2 was a "parts bin build" from the Pilot and it was not "engineered". The G2 was obviously planned off of the Pilot which was planned off of the MDX. The MDX chassis was designed from the ground up and is spectacular. All automakers build cars from existing platforms, whether it's proactively or retroactively decided. If Honda didn't care about quality they would've shoved the 8spd tranny in the RL. It's genuinely weird to read Joe's posts, they're all such doom and gloom I've got to think he has an agenda.

To add, my favorite was the post in this forum was where someone asking about a potential problem with a wire in their engine bay. Turned out that it was just the color of the connector used. Some people have too much time to worry.

If there are truly serious issues with the G2, we will find out, don't worry.

· Registered
581 Posts
Pile on top of that this "Joe" fellow who is an "industry insider". I've been following his posts and he strikes me as an ex worker who is hanging on to his glory days.
I too have been following his posts. He is revered by many on this forum as an oracle, but he continually posts vague, negative things that offer no meaningful information. Most of it appears to be rumors being passed along by "insiders" who may or may not know what they're talking about. When I have asked for factual bases for his posts, he has consistently ignored them. This is not helpful in my view. He definitely spends a lot of time here talking Honda down.

· Registered
90 Posts
Sour-grapesters can be a serious drag, I whole-heartedly agree.

In the interest of putting my grain of sand on the other side of the balance, I can unequivocally say that I'm in love with my new Ridgeline. Every time I get in it, I feel like I'm wrapped in future space man technology and luxury. It drives nicer than any car I've owned, and is constantly turning heads on the road and in parking lots. I haven't had this many conversations with total strangers about my car since I drove an old '65 El Camino in high school (3 on the tree 4 eva)!

Zero regrets here. :)

· Registered
84 Posts
I too have been following his posts. He is revered by many on this forum as an oracle, but he continually posts vague, negative things that offer no meaningful information. Most of it appears to be rumors being passed along by "insiders" who may or may not know what they're talking about. When I have asked for factual bases for his posts, he has consistently ignored them. This is not helpful in my view. He definitely spends a lot of time here talking Honda down.

I totally agree. At least 2 times I've requested more details on vague issues Joe has mentioned and never received a response. Others responded for him indicating that he has a non disclosure agreement. Well if that's true then it's better to not say anything at all since these vague posts have no purpose. Oh I guess some could say they vindicate his position that you don't by a G2 until 10,000 have been produced ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
328 Posts
I totally agree. At least 2 times I've requested more details on vague issues Joe has mentioned and never received a response. Others responded for him indicating that he has a non disclosure agreement. Well if that's true then it's better to not say anything at all since these vague posts have no purpose. Oh I guess some could say they vindicate his position that you don't by a G2 until 10,000 have been produced ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I've seen that NDA crap too. Kinda funny to have an NDA and spend your days on a forum spewing "insider info". I even saw him "leak" a picture of a G1 prototype saying "hurry and get a look because I'll have to take it down soon."

To me, that is just odd.

· Registered
971 Posts
It's aggravating when you spend 30 to 40 thousand dollars on something and it isn't perfect, such is life. We spend more on houses and the same thing happens. As long as Honda backs up their product we should be fine, if not put out a bit.
This part is true, for me its actually more like 40-50K on same truck so in that respect quite bit can be expected imo, however for the masses in NA its reasonable amount of money to not sweat too much on a financial basis for a new car or truck. It would be hard to expect an F-150 Lariat or Platinum like finish in a 30-40K RL. I think that is just simply unrealistic and that has nothing to do with which truck works best either.

My only beef is, that the Honda simply doesn't consider a lot of budget to overwhelm us with useful options for a great deal of different tastes and buyers needs. They consider their idealism to work with one crowd that is estimated in their eyes to be the majority. With a wider budget this may have been able to be accomplished but of course the attitude would have to match the potential. I don't think they could care about that, its more our way for a niche market take it or leave it. If its good and works for you thats who they are targeting and happy with. Otherwise find something else and for many thats just what they end up doing. The bad press part is mostly and internet thing. In whole with this truck its magnified a bit due to what we just talked about as well its long absence from gen 1 which was 10 years ago!! a lot seems to be expected when we wait to see what this thing will look like and what else can it do way better.

· Registered
581 Posts
Comparing Reliability

Maybe look at it this way: Consumer Reports’ reliability survey ranks the Toyota Tundra as much better than average. They rank the Toyota Tacoma and F-150 as better than average. They rank the Ram 1500 and the Titan as worse than average. They rank the Colorado, Canyon, Sierra, and Silverado as much worse than average.

Their highest ranking used are the Ridgeline (G1) and the F-150.

My father in law’s $60,000 Ram has had the electronics go out twice, and each time he’s had to wait six weeks with a dead dash.

The stuff that’s been reported here so far is peanuts in my view.

· Registered
182 Posts
I just take it all in and try to look at the big picture. I'm not even sure who these people are or if they even own and daily drive a ridgeline? I know I do, and my experiences are real-world. In the end, i never believe what i hear, and only half believe what i see :)

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This part is true, for me its actually more like 40-50K on same truck so in that respect quite bit can be expected imo, however for the masses in NA its reasonable amount of money to not sweat too much on a financial basis for a new car or truck. It would be hard to expect an F-150 Lariat or Platinum like finish in a 30-40K RL. I think that is just simply unrealistic and that has nothing to do with which truck works best either.

My only beef is, that the Honda simply doesn't consider a lot of budget to overwhelm us with useful options for a great deal of different tastes and buyers needs. They consider their idealism to work with one crowd that is estimated in their eyes to be the majority. With a wider budget this may have been able to be accomplished but of course the attitude would have to match the potential. I don't think they could care about that, its more our way for a niche market take it or leave it. If its good and works for you thats who they are targeting and happy with. Otherwise find something else and for many thats just what they end up doing. The bad press part is mostly and internet thing. In whole with this truck its magnified a bit due to what we just talked about as well its long absence from gen 1 which was 10 years ago!! a lot seems to be expected when we wait to see what this thing will look like and what else can it do way better.

I believe I understand what you are saying, but that's not the world we live in anymore. Apple basically has 1 phone (now 2 sizes) for everyone, and they sell a whole lot of phones.

The mid-sized truck sector took a big hit a few years back, but then again, mid-sized trucks where a lot smaller than. It seems full sized trucks are now huge and mid sized are almost what a full sized truck was 15- 20 years ago.

Honda didn't do so well with the Ridgeline the first time around, they changed things up a bit and are seeing if they can gain some traction with what they are offering, which in reality is a pretty great truck all around. I suspect if this offering takes off, they will widen their scopes a bit more, but until then they are going to target a specific audience and wait and see.

No one, not even Honda knows what the Ridgeline options may be in a few years because the market place will determine which way to pivot.

I went all in with the RTL-E and I keep spending more money on it with truck stuff add ons (I'm coining that one) and I do expect a lot, but there also has to be a place for being somewhat realistic.

· Registered
970 Posts
In the interest of putting my grain of sand on the other side of the balance, I can unequivocally say that I'm in love with my new Ridgeline. Every time I get in it, I feel like I'm wrapped in future space man technology and luxury.
Zero regrets here.
I agree 110% (OK, my math skills are not that great). I just got back from driving to an appointment and was thinking as I drove to town. "This is F'ing cool and I love it!". I am sure that given enough problems I could change my mind, but so far those have not appeared. Right now I would not trade this truck for any other vehicle I have driven, period.

If the "doom and gloom, I hate this thing" crowd do not like that, well, I will leave that to your imagination. >:)

· Registered
971 Posts
I just take it all in and try to look at the big picture. I'm not even sure who these people are or if they even own and daily drive a ridgeline? I know I do, and my experiences are real-world. In the end, i never believe what i hear, and only half believe what i see :)
Its a good way to live imo because frankly some of the info after buying new car or truck can simply depress one if they take it too seriously. Some of it may be true but one opinion or one thing maybe might have happened, but what about the masses of people who buy these trucks.

I have heard of certain problems with almost every company our there. I was researching Ford Ecoboost and there were some early problems for some owners then others were fine. Then there are recent studies on 2015-16 owners who are reporting no issues that were problems back in 2012-13. A new product in general will always have some issues that slip in to place and take us by surprise. When they fix them the internet has a funny way of always remembering them and not letting them slide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.