Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

461 - 480 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Curious, does anyone with the White Diamond kit feel that the white is just ever so slightly brighter on the handle than the car? My dealer ordered 3 of the kits in after the first one was just slightly off in color. All 3 were basically the same, so not on them. I compared it to the platinum white and it's definitely not that color, it's just a tad brighter. It's almost like it's "in between" the white diamond and the platinum... wondering if Honda just shot a paint that splits the difference to have one sku.

Dealer said it's just due to the plastic... I figure it's just a slightly different batch of paint. You have to more or less stare at it to see it. Part of me thought about having a body shop take a shot at a match, but that might be more trouble than it's worth. But, I am going to take it apart to re-key it to match the valet key at some point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My WDP handle is ever-so-slightly green compared to my WDP tailgate.
Well, that certainly is interesting. Tells me that it's batches or thickness of paint etc...but who knows. Tells me not to chase this one down.

Speaking of green, I would love to see the Ridgeline offer the dark green on the passport currently. nice looking truck! (but with black interior... just don't want tan). I might have gotten the red, but I'm not a tan interior person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 2019 Ridgeline Black Edition for two weeks now. Bought it used with 7800 miles and had a Peragon bed cover already installed (along with black running boards and a few other goodies). Got my tailgate lock kit delivered today from HandA and just finished the install. Only took about 45 minutes.

However, I did have 7 round silver color washers/speed nuts that fell out that I couldn't find a place for. Any idea where these came from?
They came from the cap that from the tailgate. When you hammered off the cap, you must have knocked those washers off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just received my manual lock and replacement handle from College Hills Honda. $79.20 plus $11 shipping. All OEM Honda parts. Can't wait until in warms up to install. The truck came with a Revolver X2 cover that can only be opened with the tailgate open. Here is a line to the lock purchase page. Tailgate Lock

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just received my manual lock and replacement handle from College Hills Honda. $79.20 plus $11 shipping. All OEM Honda parts. Can't wait until in warms up to install. The truck came with a Revolver X2 cover that can only be opened with the tailgate open. Here is a line to the lock purchase page. Tailgate Lock
Since you have the time, many of us took the included lock cylinder to a locksmith to get re-keyed to the backup key from you keyfob. That way you won't have to carry a second key just for the tailgate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice effort from Honda. Makes me wonder if they are planning a tailgate lock as standard equipment in the future. Hopefully they will do one better than just a manual, separately-keyed lock like this and integrate it with the power locks and make it keyed to the physical locks, like with the trunk.
I believe the 2020 models have just what you suggested!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, my kit was more than $79 IIRC, from AutoNation Honda in Virginia. Got installed just a moment ago, Took about 45 minutes to do.
Will be interested to hear if anyone else has had any issues with malfunction. With the tonneau latched from the inside I am mildly concerned about getting locked out.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since you have the time, many of us took the included lock cylinder to a locksmith to get re-keyed to the backup key from you keyfob. That way you won't have to carry a second key just for the tailgate.
Ridge 17,
Looks like you have the same cover as I do. Am I reading the linked info correctly, that there are new, more secure hold downs for the cover?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took the fob key to a locksmith with the tailgate lock. $15.00 to change it. I just carry the fob and pop the key out when I need it.
I'm certainly hoping one of the three local locksmith's can do this. By my description to them over the telephone, I'm being told it can be done ONLY if the valet key inside the fob slides into the lock cylinder. The face of the cylinder can't be replaced.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm certainly hoping one of the three local locksmith's can do this. By my description to them over the telephone, I'm being told it can be done ONLY if the valet key inside the fob slides into the lock cylinder. The face of the cylinder can't be replaced.
It does. Took him 5 minutes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just rekeyd my tailgate lock cylinder to my key fob key. Took me about 10 minutes on youtube and an hour of cursing. Worth looking into for those who cant find a locksmith to do it for cheap.
Getting my upgrades tomorrow via UPS and does the re-keying process require any extra parts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting my upgrades tomorrow via UPS and does the re-keying process require any extra parts?
The valet key from my fob fits into the lock cylinder, so it's doubtful a locksmith would need any extra parts. I don't know this for certain, but it's doubtful. I'm currently under a stay-at-home order and can't travel to have my cylinder re-keyed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The valet key from my fob fits into the lock cylinder, so it's doubtful a locksmith would need any extra parts. I don't know this for certain, but it's doubtful. I'm currently under a stay-at-home order and can't travel to have my cylinder re-keyed.
I was looking to possibly trying it at home after watching YouTube demo's as there are no shops open.
We are back to the days when people fixed and did things themselves.

Reactions: hondopark

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was looking to possibly trying it at home after watching YouTube demo's as there are no shops open.
We are back to the days when people fixed and did things themselves.
I just did this myself. Changed the pins to match the key fob key. It was a bit tedious, but not difficult. Took maybe 1 hour.

It depends on the current tumbler setup and your fob key. If you're doing it yourself it may or may not require different pins. Mine did, but others might find they are the same pins, just in a different order.

here is the video that helped me

·
Registered
59 Posts
I re-keyed the tailgate lock and actually works (y)
I had one pin left over that wouldn’t work in set up.
No spring at back to remove on our cylinders.
They don’t actually go into each slot from old key.
I had the last pin that was not going down perfectly with key inserted, but only required a little filing to correct.
Just a tip I never saw Online, as the pins are arranged from keyhole to end of cylinder, Keep the key part way inserted partially so pins don’t fall out.
Never mind how I know that!
Patience always wins!
Another tip when installing camera on new handle, screws are very tight so put a drop of oil in each hole for easier screw tapping to happen.

Reactions: hondopark

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's what I did. Before installing, just take the lock along with your backup key. My locksmith in Tucson charged about $25.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed the hem honda lock but I just want to confirm if I did it correctly. Can you tell me which way the key sits when locked versus unlocked? Working fine but it seems backwards to me!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed the hem honda lock but I just want to confirm if I did it correctly. Can you tell me which way the key sits when locked versus unlocked? Working fine but it seems backwards to me!
My lock is vertical when locked.

461 - 480 of 515 Posts