Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the factory cover installed on my '17 Ridgeline. Only after the fact did I realize that it's not secure !! Something I didn't think to ask, and they didn't mention.

At any rate - the local dealer quoted me just over an hour to install the locking tailgate assembly, and the parts guy told me OVER $400 just for the parts. I asked to see the schematic showing what's included and he turned the screen to me - I looked towards the bottom of the screen and the highest "list' price item was something like $65. I pointed out the lower price, he spun it back around to him, clicked a couple buttons and said (along the lines of) "no, it's $4xx.00". I said I'd need to think on it. They told me that if I didn't want the cover, they'd take it off (no restocking fee on the parts), and that I already paid for the labor...

After I got home, I called another dealer in our county and was told "no, that lock assembly is only for '18 and newer, NOT the '17".

I proceeded to call a dealer in another county, who told me yes they could get the part for my '17 next day, and about an hour to install, and ~$150 for the parts.

Then I found the part online (College Hills Honda) for $79 !!

... Then I found this forum and thread.

WTH ?? !!! Why do I get a different story everywhere I call??

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
By now I think that you have figured out that there are actually two parts to purchase:
08Z07-T6Z-100D - lock
08Z07-T6Z-XXXE - handle, (The XXX determines color)
But you total cost is correct.
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
By now I think that you have figured out that there are actually two parts to purchase:
08Z07-T6Z-100D - lock
08Z07-T6Z-XXXE - handle, (The XXX determines color)
But you total cost is correct.
Bill

Thanks.

Anyone out there know if I purchase "genuine" Honda parts on my own (online), if most local Honda service departments will install them? I'm sure I can easily pull off the job myself, but I'd like to have a fall guy if there are issues getting the thing to open down the road.

And, just to be extra sure -- this works on '17 models (which a local parts department said was a definity "no")? Not sure they they said only '18 and '19's !!

·
Administrator
17,208 Posts
Thanks.

Anyone out there know if I purchase "genuine" Honda parts on my own (online), if most local Honda service departments will install them? I'm sure I can easily pull off the job myself, but I'd like to have a fall guy if there are issues getting the thing to open down the road.

And, just to be extra sure -- this works on '17 models (which a local parts department said was a definity "no")? Not sure they they said only '18 and '19's !!
What you might find is that the labor will be higher if you bring your own parts effectively making the total price the same as if you would have purchased the parts from the local dealer.

There were no changes to the tailgate mechanism from 2017 to 2019 - the tailgate lock accessory works on all three model years.

Technically, the tailgate lock and replacement labor is covered under the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty only if it's installed at the time of purchase of a new vehicle. Otherwise, only the tailgate lock itself (excluding labor) is covered for one year so you might as well install it yourself at this point if you have basic mechanical skills.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just an added note where we had our dealer install the lock and boy are we glad that we did, it appears that getting everything adjusted just right is more of an art than a science. After the installation we had to return twice to the dealer because the tailgate would refuse to unlatch and open where the dealer ultimately had to order/install additional replacement parts, (all on their dime.) It is better than new now but if it had been me who had to go back and disassemble the tailgate, purchase the parts, there would have been much cussing and swearing.

Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did mine this last weekend, it was a breeze after watching the YouTube video. Less than an hour. The hardest part was probably the camera screws in the new handle. Not sure why some have latch issues, not much really changes to the stock setup really, the new handle has a different rod but that's pretty much it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the OEM tailgate lock for my 2017 Ridgeline. The Honda dealership won’t install it because they say it’s only meant for 2018 and after.
Any reason for this?
It should work if I install it myself?
Has anyone installed one of these successfully on a 2017?

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it's OEM then it will fit 2017-2019. 2020 already has one. Takes about 45 minutes to install the first time. (being careful, walking back and forth to get tools) Not difficult to do at all.

For an extra perk take the lock to a locksmith and have them change the tumblers to read your fob's key. It's almost like a custom car.

·
Administrator
17,208 Posts
I bought the OEM tailgate lock for my 2017 Ridgeline. The Honda dealership won’t install it because they say it’s only meant for 2018 and after.
Any reason for this?
It should work if I install it myself?
Has anyone installed one of these successfully on a 2017?
Your dealer is incorrect.

As state above, the tailgate lock accessory is for ALL 2017-2019 Ridgelines. The 2020's tailgate can be set to lock and unlock with the doors, so no accessory tailgate lock with a key is necessary.

Yes - 2017 owners have successfully installed it. You'll find mention of it in this thread including this post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Just installed yesterday. One small issue was the small screws used to attach the camera didn’t fit right- leaving the camera a little loose. I might try just using a waterproof sealant to tighten it up.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks. Just installed yesterday. One small issue was the small screws used to attach the camera didn’t fit right- leaving the camera a little loose. I might try just using a waterproof sealant to tighten it up.
I believe that this is a nature of the beast, I asked about our camera having something like 1/8" movement in and out and was informed that this is normal. We checked the other Ridgelines on the lot and found them to be the same, we are not concerned.
Bill

·
Administrator
17,208 Posts
The camera should not be loose if it is installed properly. The camera mounting screws fit very tightly in the untapped holes. I applied wax to the screw threads before installation and they went in all the way. Be sure to use a well-fitting screwdriver to avoid stripping the heads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, you just really need to work those screws in tight with the right screwdriver. Nice and snug, don't strip it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got mine installed in about an hour and no regrets. With the top secured I can now keep my fishing gear and so forth in the bed and not worry about it in parking lots or the driveway

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've recently purchased a 2017 Ridgeline EX-L, and so far, very satisfied with the truck. I ordered the tailgate lock and handle from my local dealer, with the parts coming in the day after. Disassembly was rather straight forward, especially after watching two Youtube videos. Not having received any installation instructions though, required me to be vigilant and to observe how the handle mechanism worked, and to ensure that I replaced the correct components (pinkish plastic pivot). Once I was done, I tested the opening and locking of the tailgate, without having closed it up inside the bed. All in all, worked out ok. I figure about 45 - 60 minutes to make the mod. If there's a way to rekey the lock to match the trunk key, I'd be right up for that as I now have an extra key on my key ring.
Chris
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

·
Registered
79 Posts
I didn’t rekey myself, but a lot of guys did do that. Feedback was it wasn’t a big deal for the locksmith

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Alternative is to keep the key in your glove box, attached to a small carabiner. On the rare occasion that you need to lock the tailgate, clip the carabiner and key to your regular keychain, then return to glove box when done.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
Here's all of the compiled, most relevant information for this. It may be handy if the OP consolidates the info in the first post. Hope it helps.

Genuine Honda Ridgeline G2 Tailgate Lock
Compatible with G2 models 2017 ~ 2020 (2020 comes installed)

Two parts are needed (costs are at the bottom)
Part-1: P/N 08Z07-T6Z-100D - Internal lock mechanism
Part-2: The appropriate matching color Handle (part numbers below)

P/N 08Z07-T6Z-110EL = White Diamond Pearl (paint code: NH-603P)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-120E = Lunar Silver Metallic (paint code: NH-830M)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-130E = Crystal Black Pearl (paint code: NH-731P, includes Black Edition)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-140E = Modern Steel Metallic (paint code: NH-797M)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-150E = Obsidian Blue Pearl (paint code: B-588P)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-160E = Forest Mist Metallic or Pearl (paint code: G-537M or G-537P)
P/N 08Z07-T6Z-170E = Deep Scarlet Pearl (paint code: R-561P)

Tools Needed:
  • Rubber Mallet or Hammer and Rag (to lightly tap the bulkhead cap [top edge of tailgate] for removal)
  • T30 Torx Bit (for 7 Torx screws holding inner-side gate cover-panel. 4 at the top, 3 at the edge under the top cap [top edge of tailgate])
  • 10mm Socket with Extension (for 2 recessed bolts inside the gate that hold handle, and 4 bolts for the lock)
  • Phillips Screwdriver (4 screws in top cap of tailgate, also 2 screws to swap the Camera)
  • Needle Nose Pliers (to help remove the rod/cable clips... I also needed it in my case to remove spring clip on my lock and rotate the latch)
  • Hand towel or cloth for scratch prevention (to lay camera/new handle on while swapping)
  • Magnet screwdriver or retriever (If you are clumsy & lose the bolts inside the gate, otherwise be careful)
Instructions
Honda PDF of full instructions [attached at bottom], they are detailed and good.

Installation Video Example 1:

Installation Video Example 2 From @Toolferone:

General info Video, Recoding a Honda Keylock:

Notes/Tips/Preparation:
  • Kit includes 2 new, independent keys, before installing decide optionally to have your new lock cylinder recoded by a locksmith to match current keys [Approx. $25~$65]
  • The lock you will be installing is a "manual only" lock, not actuated by electric locks
  • Installation is intermediate-easy, takes about 1 hr. If you work at a slower pace & follow along with a video
  • Mistakes I made:
    • I have a tendency to over-tighten... do not over-tighten on these (except maybe the screws holding the camera if needed. The threads everywhere are aluminum and will strip pretty easy if you try to "crank em". The instructions say only 6lbs to 7lbs of torque. So don't overdo it.
    • The locksmith I used to recode the lock made a very simple error putting the latch-post (where the rod connects) on 180 degrees wrong, I could not figure out why I couldn't get the handle installed correctly and it was an easy fix. just need to remove the retaining-clip (spring clip washer) and rotate the latch 180 degrees and squeeze the clip back on (pic below).
    • I didn't trust the instructions. I was an early Ridgeline owner and fought with instructions on the bed cover, replacement bumper at one time, and some other things. So, when I thought the instructions were starting to get strange, I watched the video instead to see how the others did it. But this time Honda made the instructions correct and the steps are accurate. They even indicate the pounds of torque for the screws. They didn't indicate any of the clips by color, but you can still figure it out. (Hint: White Clips are for new rods, one Purple clip replaces the existing long-neck cable clip, and you will detach the yellow rod clip momentarily)
  • Some other folks reported breaking the "NEW" 5mm Purple Rod Clip when installing, it cannot be ordered separately (the orig-old Purple Clip is too weak and will break if used)
  • The new camera screw holes are not tapped very well on some units and are extremely tough to tighten enough to secure the camera, they may need wax, graphite or oil. Mine was just fine though.
  • If you discover mysterious washers laying around, they were jarred out of the gate top rail-cap when removed (Middle Bottom) from @daktruckie99

Replacement parts (thease are only needed if you find you must repair something additional to the kit above, the kit you order has everything you need):
Replacement Torx screws: P/N 90108-SJC-A00 - If you strip those in the the gate cover panel:
Replacement Control Rod Synchronizer "A": P/N 74870-T6Z-A01 - This is only mentioned as an issue by one person with an install from a dealer. It is not necessary unless there was damage or an issue if the gate is tough to open.
Replacement Lower Cable: P/N 74867-SJC-A00 -This is only mentioned as an issue by one person with an install from a dealer. It is not necessary unless there was damage or an issue if the gate is tough to open.
Replacement Purple and White Rod Clips: Cannot be ordered separately at the time of this writing, they only come with the kit. Try not to break them.

Parts Retailers: (Cost-Lock, Cost-Handle, Cost-Shipping)
  • HondaPartsNow.com ($32.47, $42.43, $10) - Least Expensive at the time of this writing
  • OEMpartsource.com ($34.87, $39.19, $12)
  • Conicellihondaparts.com ($36.51, $41.16, $9)
  • Cheaperhondaparts.com ($37.10, $41.69, $14)
  • Hondapartswholesaledirect.com ($39.37, $44.38, $12)
  • Bernardiparts.com ($42.40, $47.65, $?)
  • Amazon.com ($110, n/a, $)
  • Collegehillshonda.com (n/a)

Attachments

481 - 500 of 515 Posts