Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those that have rekeyed your lock... where did you get your wafers? My local locksmith quoted me $65 and it seems pretty strait forward in watching the YouTube videos. A quick search on eBay shows a new door lock for ~$15 with extra wafers to adjust that to the existing key. My only concern is that the newest compatible model is listed as a 2011 Element. I don’t know if there have been any changes to the lock system over the years or are they specifically referring to that lock cylinder? Thanks!
This is the one I was looking at: Door Lock Cylinder Recode Rekey To Old Existing Key Fit Honda Accord Civic CRV | eBay

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
I was shocked. I just went to an awesome little shop in Medford, MA near me called ARTERY LOCK. I walked in a 4pm on a Friday and asked, "Eh you think you can do this?" The kid said, "How quickly do you need it?" I said, "Oh I was just hoping it was something that could be done quickly, I have everything ready for ya (target key, orig key, and lock cylinder)... all new and not even dirty. The lady locksmith came out from behind the back room and said, "Since you seem really nice, sure come back in 25 mins."

I went back in 20 and it was done, and she charged me $20. So, I gave her an extra $10 for simply being accommodating. Great little place I hope I can give more business to them somehow.

My lengthy point is, if you have another little shop around the area, ask another place. Could end up cheaper than the wafers and money for the swear jar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was shocked. I just went to an awesome little shop in Medford, MA near me called ARTERY LOCK. I walked in a 4pm on a Friday and asked, "Eh you think you can do this?" The kid said, "How quickly do you need it?" I said, "Oh I was just hoping it was something that could be done quickly, I have everything ready for ya (target key, orig key, and lock cylinder)... all new and not even dirty. The lady locksmith came out from behind the back room and said, "Since you seem really nice, sure come back in 25 mins."

I went back in 20 and it was done, and she charged me $20. So, I gave her an extra $10 for simply being accommodating. Great little place I hope I can give more business to them somehow.

My lengthy point is, if you have another little shop around the area, ask another place. Could end up cheaper than the wafers and money for the swear jar.
Wow, what a strange coincidence - I actually just installed the handle on my 2019 today. I live in Malden and went to Artery - they had it done in about an hour and charged me $25.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
Wow, what a strange coincidence - I actually just installed the handle on my 2019 today. I live in Malden and went to Artery - they had it done in about an hour and charged me $25.
Bummer they charged you more. Still a great price, I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems to be:

08Z07-T6Z-100D - lock - $75 @ bernardi
08Z07-T6Z-110E - handle - $63 @ bernardi

My guess would be that the handle comes unpainted, which is less than ideal. Unless there's different P/Ns for different colors, but the description suggests not.
Different colored handles have different PN. I got mine and installed it, tool less than an hour. No instructions but there is a good tutorial on Youtube that is easy to find.

·
Premium Member
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
99 Posts
I bought the tailgate lock assembly already painted for $115. Did the same as @RidgelineM*17 and went on YouTube. Great tutorial by the Drivers Only channel there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
Different colored handles have different PN. I got mine and installed it, tool less than an hour. No instructions but there is a good tutorial on Youtube that is easy to find.
@Pacman9270 @RidgelineM*17 .. One page prior to this at post 500 I list the best prices found. less than $85 vs your $115. That savings could pay for the rekeying. Just mentioning. I wish compilations would be the first post or sticky to help folks. Good job regardless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read through these posts and still need a little help. My Ridgeline is a 2017 and the dealer checked with Honda and said the tailgate lock mechanism will only work on 2019 (2020s are factory installed). From what I read above, this is wrong, it will work on 2018s and 2017s. Then I saw something about replacement rods. Do I need these also? Or just the lock and color matched handle? Thanks in advance for helping clear my confusion! >

·
Premium Member
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
99 Posts
I read through these posts and still need a little help. My Ridgeline is a 2017 and the dealer checked with Honda and said the tailgate lock mechanism will only work on 2019 (2020s are factory installed). From what I read above, this is wrong, it will work on 2018s and 2017s. Then I saw something about replacement rods. Do I need these also? Or just the lock and color matched handle? Thanks in advance for helping clear my confusion! >
Are you talking the automatic or manual tailgate lock? I bought and installed the manual tailgate lock from ebay. It comes with all the hardware you need. Ensure to purchase a prepainted one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The part numbers for the manual lock mech and the color match handle from page 1 in this tread work on the 2017-2019 RL.

08Z07-T6Z-100D - manual lock mech

Handle part numbers by color:
08Z07-T6Z-110E WHITE Diamond Pearl (NH-603P)
08Z07-T6Z-120E Lunar SILVER Metallic (NH-830M)
08Z07-T6Z-130E Crystal BLACK Pearl (NH-731P)
08Z07-T6Z-140E Modern STEEL Metallic (NH-797M)
08Z07-T6Z-150E Obsidian BLUE Pearl (B-588P)
08Z07-T6Z-160E FOREST MIST Pearl (G-537P)
08Z07-T6Z-170E Deep SCARLET Pearl (R-561P)

Instructions:

Attachments

Reactions: Pacman9270

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the help on ordering the correct part numbers. I think my question on the rods was not clear. Specifically, do I need to order these items:
"Replacement Control Rod Synchronizer "A": P/N 74870-T6Z-A01 - If gate is hard to open, a dealer installed issue required this replacement
Replacement Lower Cable: P/N 74867-SJC-A00 - if the gate is hard to open, a dealer installed issue required this replacement"
My tailgate has always worked okay, just needs a positive pull to open. Mine is an early 2017 (bought a week after the sales started) if that helps.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If your tailgate has no issues, I would not bother with the extra parts. The lock mech does not change any functions. My 2017 had no issues with the installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice effort from Honda. Makes me wonder if they are planning a tailgate lock as standard equipment in the future. Hopefully they will do one better than just a manual, separately-keyed lock like this and integrate it with the power locks and make it keyed to the physical locks, like with the trunk.
I had the self locking/unlocking tailgate and had it in to Honda 3 times to get them to unlock it for me. BIG RISK there!!!! They finally told me that they couldn't get the after market system installed by Honda when new repaired because the rods would keep bending, so they replaced it with a manual Honda lock with a giant key.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the self locking/unlocking tailgate and had it in to Honda 3 times to get them to unlock it for me. BIG RISK there!!!! They finally told me that they couldn't get the after market system installed by Honda when new repaired because the rods would keep bending, so they replaced it with a manual Honda lock with a giant key.
I re-keyed the lock to match the key in the fob, so no big key to carry around. You need to have lock cylinder in hand before installing or remove it again. There are instructions on how to reset a lock tumbler on YouTube. Best 90 minutes spent lol

Reactions: hondopark
501 - 515 of 515 Posts