Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The owner of my local dealership had his stock wheels black chromed on his Ridge. Wow, I liked it so much I'm getting it done too. It's $200/wheel and takes a week or two. I guess I'm just going to leave my Ridge on jack stands in the garage and just bring in the wheels to them. Probably be easier just to buy new wheels but I've never seen any black chrome ones before although I've never looked that hard. Also, I like the stock wheels so this works out good except the whole being with a truck for a week or two.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is there a place where I could go to see what they look like? It really sounds great. Anyway I have admired from afar the things you have done to your ride.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JulesK said:
Is there a place where I could go to see what they look like? It really sounds great. Anyway I have admired from afar the things you have done to your ride.

Here's a pic of a different wheel from their site, they call it Black Pearl, I call it black chrome, same thing. However, the pic doesn't come close to doing in justice but for what it's worth here it is and the link to the place that does it locally for me. It's a physical vapor deposition process they call PermaStar:

http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/

Attachments

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I can't wait to see the pics of these new wheels on your truck. I agree that it is hard to tell how they would look from viewing a picture of a single wheel.

Definitely keep us posted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looking forward to the pics.
I thought about chroming the wheels a while back, also.
Black chrome is even better.
You guys have all the good custom car shops in CA. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too am looking forward to some pictures. I love black chrome, kind of like a gunmetal color. $200 per wheel sounds a little pricey though, the guy on eBay doing regular chroming is only charging $450, and this PermaStar thing is supposed to be more economical?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The guy on eBay could be dumping his chrome process toxic waste illegally. Waste disposal and EPA and OSHA regulation have driven the price of plating skyward.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Update Vertrkr?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DoctorJ said:
vert, I assume the wheels will be stripped and polished before the permastar process?

A bit of delay happened but I should have them installed by the 15th. They had trouble getting the take off wheels shipped to them. They are in the process of doing them now.

Yes, they strip the wheels first then sand blast them. Then they get a clear powder coat and then the chrome and finally another protective clear powder coat.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
DoctorJ said:
Cool. Looking forward to the pictures.
I am with you, I want to see pictures if only to live vicariously through others ;). My wife would never let me do anything just to 'fancy' up the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
captmiddy said:
I am with you, I want to see pictures if only to live vicariously through others ;). My wife would never let me do anything just to 'fancy' up the Ridgeline.
Hehe, can't wait to post the pics. I'm kinda keeping this one under the wife's radar using the money Honda gave me :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
vertrkr said:
Hehe, can't wait to post the pics. I'm kinda keeping this one under the wife's radar using the money Honda gave me :D
For my wife, there is no such thing as under the radar. I think she knows when I buy a candy bar. Not that she doesn't let me spend money, just that it usually has to be a justifiable expenditure. Which chroming the wheels, just not easy to justify. Now a nice cargo net, backup camera, nose mask, those are all justifiable expenses.

·
Registered
311 Posts
vertrkr said:
Picking them up today. Will post pics soon as I remember to charge the camera battery and take pics of the window molding silicone job I did too.
It's been eight hours - where are the pics? :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts