Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was petting our rabbit, Truman, and noticed his fur was generating a bit of static electricity and he'd get zapped every so often. This reminded me that with the dry winter air in many places this time of year it is the time of getting zapped when sliding out of cars on cloth seats.

I used to buy the static guard spray and use it on the seat but then found a cheaper option (that also smells better than the spray) just wiping a fabric softener sheet across the seat fabric where you contact it will also stop the problem for several weeks.

Honda had a great write up on static electricity in cars: http://handa-accessories.com/staticshock.pdf

Of course if you have leather it isn't an issue.

I can't rub fabric softener on the bunny so I just hold one hand on his ear at all times to prevent a charge from building up :)

No bunnies were harmed in the production of this post.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Cute bunnie! I have a little hedgehog so the static on fur is less of an issue for him and I :D !

Man I get shocks left right and centre up here. It is -36 right now. Dropped the girl friend off at work today and when she got out of the Ridge she kissed me and we got a massive shock. That woke me up.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hedgehogs are way too cute.

Spot would always move her ears as my hand would come up to pet her to keep from getting shocked. So far Truman just gives me the "what the heck?" look.

The fabric softener sheet trick doesn't work if you just have a lot of electricity in your relationship

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks for the tip...and the cute story! I'll keep this in mind when I'm driving my car (RL has leather). That electric zap drives me nuts and doesn't do much for my mood on my way into work. :D Didn't realize there was such an easy way to avoid it!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
This morning I was petting our rabbit, Truman, and noticed his fur was generating a bit of static electricity and he'd get zapped every so often. This reminded me that with the dry winter air in many places this time of year it is the time of getting zapped when sliding out of cars on cloth seats.
This time of year, it don't matter if you have leather or cloth seats, because you'll get zapped either way. I have leather seats and I get zapped all the time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Easiest & simplest 'fix' I know of is to grab the metal of the door (around the window is easiest for me) before you pivot your torso or slide your legs around to start getting out. Grab it firmly and hold it until both feet are firmly on the ground. The electricity still moves, but it doesn't arc so you don't get the shock sensation. Sometimes I can still sort of feel a series of almost-shocks, but it's basically nothing compared to the lightning bolt I'd otherwise get!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This time of year, it don't matter if you have leather or cloth seats, because you'll get zapped either way. I have leather seats and I get zapped all the time.
I guess it depends on what you are wearing and just how dry it is out. I've never been shocked by cars with leather seats; but it probably doesn't help though that most automotive leather is vinyl coated.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are wearing and just how dry it is out. I've never been shocked by cars with leather seats; but it probably doesn't help though that most automotive leather is vinyl coated.
I have leather in my 00 Acura never get shocked.
Nephews 09 Ford Focus with cloth seats I get zapped each car is parked next to each other in back yard. I had cloth seats in 90 Accord got zapped many times. When I got 94 Accord had them put leather in car week after I got it did not get zapped.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I always got shocked in my RL with leather. It was a rare occurrence when I did not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts