Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 287 Posts

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
As much as ITBs are cool, my question is, what is the point?
F#@king right they are cool. That's my point. >:)

This is not a racing truck or a truck that will be raced frequently. I would imagine this is a full fledged daily driver with full interior and all the stock creature comforts.
You are 100% correct. This will not be a designated racing truck. However, if I can improve on the 8.0 second 0-60 and add 50whp... that would be sweet.

raced frequently... No. I will probably take it down the 1320 once or twice just for FUN. Because I can!

The investment of $$ and time made into the ITBs and ECU programming/piggy-backing, wont it be easier and efficient to go with a forced induction via centrifugal blower or a turbo?
I wouldn't say bolting on a turbo would be easier. Sure the power increase would be easier, but where is the challenge in that?

With the range of power that I'll be putting down, I'm pretty sure the stock ECU will work. Just need a few runs and a few quick tweaks with KTuner and I should be good to go. Only reason I am thinking of running a stand alone or piggy back EMS would be if I use the secondary set of GSX-R injectors. It would be easier just to tap and plug the GSX-R throttle body injector ports and stick with a single stage fuel injection using the stock J35 injectors and ports. If I use the single stage FI I will probably have to increase the fuel injector flow rate/pressure. Then make a few tuning tweaks. 30-60 minutes, 2hrs tops.

Realistically, all this work would add what, at most 50hp at the crank with some crafty fuel and ignition mapping on pump gas even with the proper exhaust, intakes and cams? How much of that would be usable at the wheels?
I'm not sure of the end result, but I'm hoping for more like 50WHP. And all of it will be put to good use. This beast is AWD and more than capable of putting 400 ponies to the ground. So 270-300whp should be no sweat. And fun as hell on the street. Hoping to put some of those over compensating, jacked up, never see the dirt, straight pipped, V8 super trucks in their place with ease! :surprise:

Dont get me wrong, a decade ago, I was hell bent on getting a forced inducted A20 motor with ITBs and a straight up CF plenum.
So why didn't you go through with it?

Your build is surely one of a kind and you have my admiration for having some serious steel balls to do this.
Thank you and really do appreciate your constructive criticism. It is food to fuel me to the finish line.:domokun:

· Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,934 Posts
Problem was, I was trying to build up a '89 Accord with a very inefficient motor, for which no one made any parts for. All that work would have been for a self gratification and satisfaction. One accident would have put years worth of work down the drain. So I ended up getting a '08 Accord and two years later got my RL. Now with a 10-month old kid and in two years give my '17 Civic and get an Odyssey. At that time, I would have to seriously think of the fate of the RL. It would be pointless to have two big gas guzzling vehicles, when I could have an Accord or a civic. Maybe if my life progresses good enough, I may keep the RL as a work horse and get a smaller car for day-to-day commute.

I have to force myself to refrain from buying things and doing stuff to make the RL go faster. I think I will approach it as a need-to-replace-broken-part and go aftermarket, than OEM (like an exhaust system). I had a lot of fun and it did give me great satisfaction modifying cars, but its no fun when you have to choose life vs fun.

To wrap up my sob story, I will be keeping an eye on your build and take satisfaction in that. lol

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey that's life and it happens. It's always best to put family first.

I am a bit further on in my life now. I am able to take some money and put it toward working on my cars. As well as tend to the needs of my family. I wasn't always able to drop money on these sort of builds. We lived pay cheque to pay cheque. And as far as vehicles went. We had to make due with just being able to barely keep a car on the road. I have always done my own wrenching so that has helped keep a lot of the costs down. :wink:

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Finally two nice sunny days in a row. All the snow is gone so now it's time to start adding some parts!

Out with the old

by Chappy, on Flickr

in with the new

by Chappy, on Flickr

Added a set of yellow DRL bulbs while I had the bumper off.

I also took a few minutes to add my splash guards. Figured in this climate that these would be standard equipment. Guess not with the Value Package!

by Chappy, on Flickr

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,896 Posts
Looking forward to seeing engine parts installed ;)

And on the "Drop" springs, are those "Progressive Rate", just curious?

Looks Good, So Far!

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Unless I missed it, your build thread doesn't say what brand / spec wheels those are??
No you didn't miss it. I did forget to list the specs. :frown: I'll update that post now, thanks.

TSW® - Valencia
Gloss Black with Mirror Cut Lip
• 20" x 8.5"
• +35 Offset
• 5x120.65 Bolt Pattern
• 76mm Hub

They require a centering ring as they are hub centric wheels. The rings for these wheels where included as part of the install kit option that came with the wheels.

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Exhaust Weekend

Got a few free minutes this afternoon to start ripping into the exhaust upgrade.

Figured the best way to do this was to drop the entire exhaust from the down pipe back. Rather than trying to unbolt the cat. Those nuts are rough!

by Chappy, on Flickr

Then it was on to the pre-cats...... Front one was fairly easy.

by Chappy, on Flickr

The rear was not as easy. There really isn't much room back there. If you have any size to your forearms this job will be a challenge. I was only able to get it out and it was BBQ time. Will get back to it tomorrow to finish the rest of the install.

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Ugraded Exhaust

Here is the before stock exhaust video,

https://youtu.be/BnoLxtL7GpQ

I think the 3.5" intake has a lot to do with how this sounds stock.

and the after modified exhaust video,

https://youtu.be/siCOOAHeiv8

RV6 P Pre-Cat delete
RV6 P J-Pipe
Modified (2.5" inlet and outlet) Magnaflow higflow cat
2.5" Borla Cat back exhaust

Did the idle relearn and took her out for a good 30 min rip on back country roads and a 20 min cruise on the highway. Love the sound and there were noticeable ass dyno gains. :wink:

by Chappy, on Flickr

After I get the cams installed at the end of the month. I'll put her on the dyno and see what the actual difference is.

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just out for a Rip!

Out for a back country rip and stopped to take a photo!

Anyone else find ripping through the back country in D3 as relaxing as me?

The back roads around here are amazing. You can go from sea level to 250-300ft 4 or 5 times in the span of 5 miles. The twists and turns demand a lot of attention. Most of the back roads are rural routes, so they are usually not asphalt, they use a chip seal process. Makes for some unexpected, yet exhilarating, whoops. Then, when you need a rest, there is a 5-10minute ferry ride. The route I take has 4 ferry crossings. Makes for a beautiful days drive. I will have to stop and take some pictures next time. I'm usually way too busy loving the drive to stop and look at the scenery. :wink:

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just out for a Rip and some Seafood!

Ended up installing the smoke DRL and yellow fog Lamin-X tints. I really like the look.

We decided to go out for a Bay of Fundy cruise. The Caves @ St.Martins NB was a great stop for a photo and a bite to eat. Love their World Famous Clam chowder, it was deadly as always.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,896 Posts
I love the look you've added to the Headlights, DRL & especially the Fogs. ;)

Reactions: HondaPower

· Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Headlight covers!

I love the look you've added to the Headlights, DRL & especially the Fogs. ;)
Thanks, it really gives it that JDM look...lol

For $60 it does change the look of the front end.

Appointment booked for timing belt and camshaft install this Thursday. I am in the midst of doing a bunch of home renos. So doing the install myself is not an option if I want it done any time soon. I'll run it with the cams for a while then work on maybe getting that intake setup installed later this summer.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Batman Superhero Fictional character Hero Justice league

CRIMONE! That's one bad a$$ hyrdocarbon powered ground pounder!

Thanks for inflicting a serious case of hardware envy and a heightened sense of automotive inadequacy.

Must be nice to live in a state where the nazi tail pipe inspectors haven't infected government yet.

Very nice work!

21 - 40 of 287 Posts