Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was looking into either a gibson or magnaflow exhaust... i was leaning twords the gibson i thnik..... now im reading about resonator's.. what are they and what do they do? im looking for a deep loud throaty sound. any suggestions...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a Gibson cat-back exhaust, minus the last cat. I added an additional resonator to mine as there was a really bad drone around 2000rpm that was horribly annoying. You may not notice it driving around the city, but traveling for 8hrs at 60-70mph it can put you in the loony bin. The resonator works to cancel out exhaust pulses that create this sound, but also quiets down the louder rumble that you are looking for. My exhaust system is really close to stock sounding, but with less restriction. The best thing to do is to install a system like Gibson (they have a really nice exhaust tip), then drive it and see how you like the sound. Then you can either add a resonator or take out the supplied resonator and try it again. The resonator that I had installed had no baffles, they were just a chamber with some "fins" in them, you could look straight through them with no restriction, so they shouldn't impede the exhaust flow. Just be conscience to listen for the highway drone at around 2000rpm. Here is a link to explain resonators a little bit:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm

:hol002:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the somewhat moded factory exhuast. I took out the resonator and put a straight pipe in its place, then i had a dual made from the factory muffler. Yes you will get a little drone noise, but you will also notice a better sound and performance. From what i hear though the mangnaflow is better on 4 and 6 cylinder motors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had the Magnaflow and I sold it, It was to load and it moved a lot of the truck power to the top end, I lost all lower end power, Really annoying as the truck was constantly changing gears,,,

I replaced it with the gibson and it is a lot better, A lot of resonator noise but I replaced the resonator with a Magnaflow (lol, go figure!!!!)

Thios combo works really well and it sounds good.

More info here http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27159&highlight=gibson&page=2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts