Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'm thinking of using some type of glass polish too. I don't know what it is but the glass on my truck just doesn't seem right (aside from the cracked windshield). Even after washing and drying the truck, the glass feels rough, like it has something on it, and it doesn't look clean until cleaned with glass cleaner. In my unprofessional opinion, it seems like it wasn't cured enough before installation.

I don't know if it's related to the water spot issue mentioned by others but every time I wash my truck, I find tree needles (pine?) in the various seams and cracks of the truck. The needles aren't from around here and I wonder if the Ridglines sit under, or around, trees at the factory up in the great white north, post production, and get sapped. <shrug>

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
T Mac said:
Polish? I use Stoner Invisible Glass to get them clean and then follow up on the windshield w/ some Rain-X. Outside of that, I have never polished my glass.
That avatar really you Mr T? Cool! I've never used anything but windex before. I've never owned a pick up truck before either. The glass is so huge that the dirt is more obvious on my RL. I'll have to try one of this products for glass. :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
T Mac's avatar is Will Ferrell from Saturday Night Live when he supplied 'cowbell' to BOC's Don't Fear The Reaper. Classic skit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can do, a cleaner not a polish. I've tried numerous products over the years and this has got to Number ONE and it's very cheap $2.99 Cdn for 4 liters.It's called Rainx Plus Premium Windshied Washer Fluid (Spring Summer&Fall) with New Polymer Additive (that additive is also used in Contact Lens Cleaning Solutions) No Ammonia in contents safe for Tinted Windows,Streak Free. Also great for household windows and mirrors. PS: I use Micro Fiber Towels to apply and remove. I've also used it on other components on my Ridge (Hood & Moonroof Air Deflector, Black Running Boards, The Black steps on rear Bumper and Box Side Rails. And I even used it on my Retrax Tonneau Cover.
SEPHIROTH said:
Can anyone recommend a good glass polish?

·
Registered
275 Posts
ridged said:
I'm thinking of using some type of glass polish too. I don't know what it is but the glass on my truck just doesn't seem right (aside from the cracked windshield). Even after washing and drying the truck, the glass feels rough, like it has something on it, and it doesn't look clean until cleaned with glass cleaner. In my unprofessional opinion, it seems like it wasn't cured enough before installation.

I don't know if it's related to the water spot issue mentioned by others but every time I wash my truck, I find tree needles (pine?) in the various seams and cracks of the truck...
I was experiencing the same issues. The following is a response I posted yesterday regarding this:

The last couple washings of my Ridge I’ve been noticing water spots on my glass (not the paint, I believe the polish and wax is protecting that) and couldn’t get them off NO MATTER WHAT I DID. They appeared to have started etching I presume from something in the water. Last week I ordered “DP High Performance Glass Restorer” from AutoGeek. I received and tried it tonight and it worked extremely well. It’s like polishing your glass. You can feel the roughness on the glass as you are applying and it gets smooth and effortless as the gunk comes off. Then it’s a wipe with a clean cloth and the glass looks like new.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
jch said:
Last week I ordered “DP High Performance Glass Restorer” from AutoGeek. I received and tried it tonight and it worked extremely well. It’s like polishing your glass. You can feel the roughness on the glass as you are applying and it gets smooth and effortless as the gunk comes off. Then it’s a wipe with a clean cloth and the glass looks like new.
Thanks, jch. Based on your experience, I just placed an order. I also ordered some Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds good ridged. I just detailed the wife's Odyssey today and used the DP on the windshield and the stuff works.

L

·
0 Posts
ridged said:
Thanks, jch. Based on your experience, I just placed an order. I also ordered some Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner. :)
I did too. :D We should have the cleanest windows in Ohio. Thanks jch!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
When it comes to glass you need to know only two names - Stoner and Sprayway. The Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner can be found at WalMart for about three bucks or so. The Sprayway is a little more difficult to find but most Ace Hardware stores have it for the same price as the Stoner and you can always order it at their website.

Both come in 19oz. containers, both work very well but the Sprayway formula contains no ammonia (not sure about Stoner). The Invisible Glass sometimes takes a couple applications to do the job whereas Sprayway does really well the first go around. Both are equally good I would say but the really secret lies in the cloth you use - or no cloth at all as newspaper and steel wool (0000 grit) are even more effective cleaner "cloths". But for convienence and ease of use, microfiber cloths are hard to beat. PS-don't use Windex and paper towels!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hear ya' shortspark! I used Windex and paper-towel to clean inside and out for the first couple cleanings and besides a disappointing result, the wording on my Honda Care sticker started wearing off!!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
shortspark said:
When it comes to glass you need to know only two names - Stoner and Sprayway. The Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner can be found at WalMart for about three bucks or so. The Sprayway is a little more difficult to find but most Ace Hardware stores have it for the same price as the Stoner and you can always order it at their website.
I don't have an Ace nearby, but everyone has a Wally world it seems. Is this product in automotive or in house cleaning supplies?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Should I really trust a product named Stoner's??? :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
ladyridge said:
Only if you're straight when you do!! :eek: :D
Guess they'll never see a dime of my money, then. :D

Seriously, my wife's Pilot has a nasty film inside her windshield that Windex can't cut through. I'm going to try the michuacan, man. :)

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Invisable Glass. I have been using that on my vehicle windows for about 5 months now and it is, without a doubt, the best glass cleaner I have found.

Walmart used to carry some stuff, I forget the name of it but it came in a clear bottle, the stuff looked like water, but worked really well on the "gunk" on the inside of the windows. But, they quit selling it, I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I started looking for a good alternative. I tried a lot of things, including the various types of Windex, some other stuff sold through the local auto parts stores, and nothing seemed to work.

One day I was in a local auto part store, started chatting with the owner of the place, and asked him what he would recommend for glass cleaner. He told me he used nothing but the Invisable Glass. He warned me, though, to buy two cans, because his wife kept "borrowing" his can to do the windows in the house. He was right.

The only bad thing about IG is you have to wipe it a few times for it to fully clean the glass. What I do is shake the can really well (I think this is important...if you don't shake the can and spray it on the glass, the cleaner doesn't "foam" up. If it doesn't foam, it doesn't seem to clean as well), spray it on the glass, wipe it around with a clean paper towel, and then finish wiping it with some "industrial flannel" that I have at home.

You can tell when you have wiped the glass clean, because the surface becomes really slippery.....like when you remove the wax on a car, the surface becomes super smooth.....and it's really easy to wipe. I think you notice it more when you use a cloth to finish the job.

ONe nice thing about IG, is it leaves somewhat of a slippery film on the glass, which prevents some stuff from sticking and makes it easier to clean the glass the next time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts