Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up yesterday as much as it would take so the gauge was over full and now this morning at -7 here in Ontario on my way to my kids hockey game that is 10 minutes away I watched my gas gauge drop to below full in disbelief. There is no way I should be going through that much fuel in my 06 ridgeline. Cold start injecter is what I'm thinking, is there a way to tell. Anyone else have the same problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't think the RL has a separate cold start injector.

What mpg are you getting? Short trips and very cold temperatures will cause any vehicle's mileage to plummet as the the engine consumes more fuel while before reaching operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I go through MPG drops in winter months all the time. In Canada, I run my RL 10 to 15 min to warm it up by using my remote starter. To add to that, I run snow tires which also affect my mileage. So I do see my fuel gauge drop as well like crazy and it bugs the heck out of me but learned to live with as I'm getting 525 km per tank average right now. In summer months, I can easily go above 600km per tank. One thing you could check if you haven't done so is change your air filter, plugs. I use Premium fuel Shell 91 octane which helps a bit. At least we're getting a break at the pumps these days but not sure how long that will last.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get that its winter and mileage on most cars drops but this is ridiculous, I don't even want to drive it because its so bad. My buddy has a 07 Ridge and his doesn't seem to be as bad as mine is. I have had a string of bad luck with this truck and am convinced I bought a lemon, unfortunately I have to suck it up for now. I recently had the head gaskets done and another thought has come to mind that maybe the valves need to be adjusted. Maybe im grasping at straws.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Just filled up yesterday as much as it would take so the gauge was over full and now this morning at -7 here in Ontario on my way to my kids hockey game that is 10 minutes away I watched my gas gauge drop to below full in disbelief. There is no way I should be going through that much fuel in my 06 ridgeline. Cold start injecter is what I'm thinking, is there a way to tell. Anyone else have the same problem.
Looking at the fuel gauge does not tell you much. Do the math or do like many of us and use the on line Fuelly to calculate your MPG. Cold weather and short trips will be in the neighborhood of 14 MPG. After 18 months my 2013 is averaging 18 MPG; that is what it should be on average.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,502 Posts
Yes, basing fuel useage concerns on a surprising movement of the fuel gauge is really not a good idea. If you are concerned, take the truck to a gas station and fill it back up. Best bet would be to take it to the same station / pump you did before and fill it up in the same manner. Calculate your mileage based on actual fuel used. Short trips in exceedingly cold weather will net poor gas mileage but if its less than 11-12 MPG you might want to have it looked at.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Do you smell gas inside or outside the RL?

I once did a tune-up on a Toyota, new oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, points and condenser, cap and rotor and fuel filter I bought all the parts at big chain auto parts store.

Within a week my gas milage started dropping rapidly, at one point I'm driving down the highway and I can actually see the fuel gauge moving down. Turns out the new fuel filter had a leak.

You should check all components in fuel system to see if you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The short of it is just got the truck back from the dealer about a month ago to have the head gasket, head and timing belt done all with Honda parts along with recommended plugs. I've had the truck about 4 months and to be honest couldn't tell you what I'm actually getting per tank just because of circumstances.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,567 Posts
The short of it is just got the truck back from the dealer about a month ago to have the head gasket, head and timing belt done all with Honda parts along with recommended plugs. I've had the truck about 4 months and to be honest couldn't tell you what I'm actually getting per tank just because of circumstances.

You can see that I "kind of like" Fuelly for tracking my mileage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What "circumstances" prohibit you from calculating your mpg? It's difficult (impossible) for anyone to tell you whether your fuel economy is abnormal if nobody knows what it is.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
What "circumstances" prohibit you from calculating your mpg? It's difficult (impossible) for anyone to tell you whether your fuel economy is abnormal if nobody knows what it is.
Just wait until "common core" math kicks in; MPG will be impossible to calculate. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the day i bought this truck its been in and out of the shop with the #4 cylinder issue and to top it all off thecluster is FUBAR as well. I always track my milliage with the trip meter but unfortunately mine doesn't work most of the time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't put much faith in the gauges if your cluster is FUBAR. Sounds like you need to figure out what's wrong with your electrical system before deciding you're using too much fuel.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Simple way to calculate

Substitute Kilometers for Miles as desired

Calculating Your Car's Miles Per Gallon (MPG/KPG)

1. Fill up your car's gas tank all the way.
2. If your car has a trip odometer, reset it, or record the master odometer mileage.
3. Drive your car as you normally would, and let your gas tank deplete to at least a half of a tank of gas.
4. Get to the gas station and fill your tank again.
5. Record the amount of gas it took to refill the tank.
6. Record the elapsed trip miles or new odometer mileage.

Calculate
Get the miles traveled from the trip odometer, or subtract the original odometer reading from the new one.

Divide the miles traveled by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank. The result will be your car's average Miles Per Gallon yield for that driving period.

e.g. 312miles ÷ 16gallons = 19.5mpg

You can repeat this procedure every time you refill your tank to continue to monitor, and attempt to improve, your gas mileage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks henni
I will give that a try. My milliage readout has a fix that I found on this forum just trying to find time to do it.
Those little Bugs of yours freaked me out a little, nice little trick ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts