Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting, From Ontario Canada
I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I currently own a 2009 Tacoma and fully intended to trade for a new Tacoma, but after a test drive in a new Ridgeline...I think this is the route I will take.
My local dealer is giving me a good trade in for the tacoma and has found the colour I want, so am going to talk bizzness tomorrow night after work.

I want to sweeten the deal either cash wise or accessories...so...are them some extras I should be dickering for.... tonneau cover, bug/stone deflector, towing package, aftermarket tailgate lock, snow tire package. Any thoughts from the forum would be awesome.

These are some serious nice vehicle for sure, from my short time hanging out here I can tell you people are passionate about them.

· Registered
741 Posts
Just remember to be comfortable with whatever price (trade-in, purchase, monthly payment) you are able to get when it's all said and done. What trim level are you looking at getting? Unlike the day they came out, you should be able to get a few grand off MSRP these days. I was able to get around $3200 off plus I got another $500 for being military. Just be aware of all the incentives you qualify for, the MSRP v Invoice prices, etc.. and be well-informed w/ your numbers before you go it.

And lastly... Don't let the "emotion" of getting a new car cloud your judgment at the negotiation table.

Good luck!

· Registered
3,228 Posts
My advice for what it's worth:

Don't show any passion for the truck. Act like you're in no particular hurry to buy it. Decide now what Honda accessories you definitely need or want, and do your homework on Edmunds.com so that you know what the dealer pays for them compared to MSRP. If the dealer isn't going to give you a meaningful discount on the truck, you can insist on getting all accessories at dealer cost. Even if they're discounting the truck, ask for dealer cost on the accessories you want. The installation charges may not be negotiable, but some accessories are easy to install by yourself.

Dealerships vary, but I don't think it's common for them to stock aftermarket parts from other companies, such as a tailgate lock from DynoProducts or Pop-N-Lock (there is no OEM tailgate lock for the RL). Therefore, I think it will be hard for you to negotiate price on non-Honda accessories even if the dealer carries them.

If you have decided that you want a spare set of wheels for snow tires, now is the best time to negotiate for those, especially if the dealer has a supply of "take-offs" from 2016 Pilots or 2017 Ridgelines. Ordering OEM alloy wheels from Honda is VERY expensive, but sometimes there are basic steel versions available if you don't mind the plain look. You're more likely to haggle successfully for a discounted price if the dealership has a supply of stock wheels that were swapped off other vehicles they upgraded. However, with winter approaching, dealers may be low on take-off wheels as other customers buy them up for snow tires.

It never hurts to mention that you are also talking to other dealerships or looking at some other bids. The last thing you want is for the dealer to treat you like a captive customer. It goes without saying to avoid financing offers that muddle up the deal and make it difficult to understand how much you are really paying for the truck. Same goes for inflated offers for any trade-in you might have. These guys are professionals who are experts at selling cars for the highest price they can get every day of the year. Most customers are complete amateurs in the art of the deal. Take it slow and best of luck!

· Registered
37 Posts
Just purchased mine last Friday. I used the Costco website to get the factory invoice and would not pay more than that. When dealing I was upfront with my price that I wanted to pay and would walk out if they gave me something different. I went to 4 dealers and was surprised when the first one visited emailed me back and accepted the price they even offer free oil changes and inspections for life. Good Luck and as stated above take your time. Its worth it to save 1k.

· Registered
385 Posts
Remember supply and demand can dictate price in your area, also models can be a factor as well. Don't expect to get as good a deal off list price as you can get on other trucks, it's not the way Honda sells their vehicles, but in the long run the Honda should over take other vehicles in both value and dependability. Can't answer financing questions as I paid cash for my new RL, but good credit gives you a lower interest rate. Hope you find the RL you want, I'm on my second one.

trainman

· Registered
26 Posts
Don't buy the extended warranty or any of the other ridiculous add-ons. My dealer pushed a key fob replacement plan for the low, low price of $500. I kid you not. Just buy the truck and say no to the other nonsense. You will probably have to say "NO" 3 or 4 times as they upsell this junk hard.

Dealers are making up the money they are losing on the sale price with these extras that you will most likely never use. And if you do use them you probably lose money as the warranty costs more then the repair/replacement you need.

· Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
14 Posts
Get your price online and don't waste time negotiating in person. I set up a one time use email and requested quotes from 12 dealers. Winnowed down to a few that would negotiate and finally going to the closest location after the deal was struck. Never spoke to anyone until I called the dealer to confirm I would be there in 20 minutes to finish the deal.

· Registered
20 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. Had a 2006 Tacoma and loved it. Went onto the Tacoma forum and was horrified. I test drove a 2016 to verify all the short comings and could not run fast enough from that gutless wonder.
Followed the ROC forum for a while then test drove a BE. That was the clincher. I've had my Ridgeline Sport for a week and love it. Just do the deal.

· Registered
15 Posts
Forget about the accessories and deal with it afterwords. You will save more $ and really know what you want before prematurely buying. Make sure you really want/need them. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Like Red Light says, just buy the vehicle and THAT's IT! Not sure what model you are buying but I wouldn't pay more than invoice for the vehicle. I paid $700 under invoice for mine..Also, you may think they are giving you good $ for your trade in but think otherwise as thats where they make their $ too. Rethink about selling first than use the $ for a down payment. Like longboat also said, get your financing figured out first before going in. The dealer offered me 9% when i got there and I got 3.24% from my bank. Have fun. Know your $hit before you go and they will know what they are up against!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey all
Thanks fror all the great advice,
I did go ahead and finalized a deal and brought home a new Lunar silver sport last night. (cant believe Im on this computor and not out driving)
The local dealership proved to be a very laid back and good place to shop.
They gave me a great deal on my trade-in and a few other perks as well.
Since it was dark by the time left the shop I pretty much only drove home...so today I will get out for a nice ride.
I will probably go in search of some good heavy winter floor protectors, and have been doing the search and wait for the perfect tonneau cover as well.

Sorry I have not snapped a picture of it yet, but the look of these trucks grows on me even more every day
Thanks again for help, Im sure I will be pestering for your knowledge and advice many more times
Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.