Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great tire choice!
We are big fans of Continental tires, light weight, high grip, and great ride quality too. With these wheels and tires coming in 5 pounds lower than stock 18x8 combo the ride feels nonetheless the same...which is pretty amazing given we are about half an inch more width for rim and tire and jumped from 18 inch combo with taller sidewall to 20 inch combo. No regrets...and I love the look.

With the brake upgrade the plan is to further improve ride quality with another big reduction in unsprung weight (factory calipers are very heavy cast iron lumps) while we also massively improve brake modulation with a modern 6 piston caliper.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We are big fans of Continental tires, light weight, high grip, and great ride quality too.
This is the setup on wheels and tires, I was considering, but have been told ride quality suffered horribly. Is this a true statement or not? Please let me know if there is a rubbing issue and anything like that? Also, does the truck feel more stiffer with your ride quality? Thanks much on your feedback.
Ride seems good as stock so far, including over the railroad tracks we have next to our shop, so I doubt that other guy had the same setup (particularly since this version of the tire is brand new, 'EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS'). I have the tire pressure a little high right now rather than per the door frame factory recommendation, when I lower it to factory it will be smidge nicer still. And this wheel is also pretty much brand new, Enkei XM-6 20x8.5. No rub found thus far.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I too am running the same wheels and tires on my 2017. I lowered mine 2". Rides great!

View attachment 410965 View attachment 410966
Love that look on the white Ridgeline!

Lowering ours 2 inches soon too. Thanks for posting the pics, gives me better idea of how ours will soon look with the same wheels. And our 6 piston calipers going on the front are RED, so the fact you painted yours gives me some idea how that will look too.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not so much about the specific tire as the tire size. Less sidewall = less cushion, in general. Whether or not you can actually feel a difference is largely up to suspension tuning. 17s vs 20s on an otherwise stock VW GTI is very noticeable. The 20s have crisper turn-in at corners, but noticeably rougher ride over washboard-y pavement. No idea about the Ridgeline, as I haven't swapped wheels/tires.
And yet there is a lot more to it than just the sidewall profile, which is why we picked that Continental in particular, and wheels that combined with the lighter tires drop unsprung weight by 5 pounds per corner. Such a big drop in unsprung weight can and often does counter what otherwise would be the impact of shorter sidewalls. Here it seems to be about a push from my time behind the wheel so far, the sidewalls are shorter but the unsprung weight reduction has made the job of the suspension in controlling the jolts over potholes significantly easier, and the Continentals have comparatively soft sidewalls helping a well earned reputation for ride quality.

Will there be a production run of the upgraded calipers if all goes well?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That is the plan. I always start with doing what I want on a project, and if it works out positively enough it may indeed go to production.

I have not weighed the factory cast iron calipers, but from unbolting them and supporting them by hand while still attached by the brake lines we know they are seriously HEAVY. Once we get them off the Ridgeline will do precise weight comparison with the planned upgraded 6 piston calipers, but I expect at least another five pounds per corner of unsprung weight reduction at the front end per corner. That reduction which will further help the suspension do it's job, giving both faster front end response and ride better too. And we hope to get a lot better brake modulation, particularly when towing (all the car magazines have the weak Ridgeline brakes as one of their few beefs ..and I agree).

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian - will you be upgrading the shocks as well with the lowered suspension, or is that not necessary with the RL? I am curious as I have read of others lowering the RL, but there is no mention of the shocks. Thanks
Just doing springs for now, though I have reached out to friends at KONI about potential to do more. That's all pie in the sky for now, but perhaps down the road.

@Brian Goodwin at GWR regarding the wheels, have you confirmed the load ratings are equal to or better than the OEM wheels? Since this is a truck and may be subject to carrying heavy loads, wheel load rating could be an important factor a prospective buyer should consider.

I don't know about the G2 Ridgeline, but the G1 Ridgeline had a load rating of 902 kg per wheel (1989 lbs)

Yes, as already noted in our other thread we have sufficient load ratings and the tires chosen here actually a bit higher than stock load ratings. Enkei makes the optional HPD wheels under contract to Honda, same process used to make these here, Enkei rates these for this vehicle and we have a few decades of working relationship with Enkei. In brief, Honda trusts Enkei and so do we.

Meanwhile today....more milling about. Somewhere in there is our first set of brake brackets. :)

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Exhaust Configuration 23, which is radically different than where we started, literally everything has changed a few times from main muffler to helmholtz. Our Team Principal Ryan Passey welding up the latest layout today. Love it.

Most companies just weld up stuff that fits and call it a day, we like to really experiment with the configuration until we really dial in exactly what we want. Final test this week is a road trip! Over 1000 miles to do this week on the new tires, new wheels, new springs, and with the new exhaust. Wife and dog in the Ridgeline and Wednesday morning we will do over 500 miles before lunch!

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
And finally....LOWERED 2 inches front and rear with the springs from Jason! Had more fun on freeway ramps testing the full combo of new springs and wheels and tires than anyone should have in a truck. Ultimately rear springs could use a bit more rate for the Racer in me but the difference from stock is night and day...yet ride seems no worse, very happy with results so far. I get why these are popular, good balance between ride and performance....and it looks so much better to my eyes too!

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Will the brakes setup be able to take the stock wheels in a Honda Ridgeline G2?
That was the original goal, but stock wheel just doesn't have clearance for even the narrowest choice opposed piston caliper we looked at...which is the one we are using. So, in the end I now expect stock wheel would need a thin spacer, how much I don't yet know.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Would be willing to cut a bit of the back bumper to tuck in the dual exhaust a bit. Any spots underneath there to pull up the tailpipes a bit if someone wanted to in the future?
We are not going to make an exhaust that requires cutting bumpers, which dooms any such final product to a very small niche of customers willing to do that. If you look under the stock 2017-2020 bumper there is already a nice little cutout in the bottom of each side that we used for alignment of the setup.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just out of curiosity, how come you chose the 8.5" wheel width, instead of the 9" width? For the life of me I can't find a scale reading on the 9" but see Enkei advertises the 8.5"....Safe to assume the weight savings were the driving factor in choosing the 8.5" wheel?

Cheers.
In that Enkei XM-6 in 20 inch diameter the choice is 20x8.5 or jumping to 20x9.5, there is no 9 inch wide. Though the same 255mm tire we used could spread on 9.5 wide, result would ride rather harsh, with a high risk of curb rash. We do fitments of 255mm tires on 9.5 and 10 inch wide wheels for our sports cars for racing, but this a daily driver truck and I don't want to worry that my wife will curb rash the wheels every time she drives it, and I don't need it to ride like a brick.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I knew about the 9.5" width, but for whatever reason, came out as 9". Gah. Heh. One last question, visually, does the 8.5" wheel sit flush with the top of the fender, or does it still sit inboard a bit from the top edge.

I'd like the look of a more "flush" appearance, but not sure if I'd really need to go that extra width, or if the 8.5" wheel fills that void.

Thanks again.
I didn't see your last post until now but it sits as flush as I want it, going much more out would result in a constant spray of road debris that eventually removes a lot paint from the side of the truck and I have no interest in doing that so we are far enough out to give a much more aggressive stance while still letting the mud guards and plastic fender lip extensions do their protective job of the paint. See the many pics posted so far in our online store listing for those wheels....AND the listing for our Springs where there are a bunch more pics like this one:

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Okay, Springs finally shipping to customers TODAY. Thanks to all for waiting. Our popular Dual Exhaust System also currently shipping and time to focus on our next Ridgeline G2 item....

Since we had a lot of delay on the springs, decided we would knock out another item.....REAR SWAY BAR UPGRADE. As noted before, I already put more rate in the rear springs compared to the other choice on the market and that was for better balance than the other choice, and a bit more support when towing. That 400 pound rear spring rate helps, but I would have gone further if the stock shocks/struts would handle more and we wanted to stay within what the stock dampers would handle. So, to get the handling even more flat in the turns and even better balance we are doing just a rear sway bar upgrade with more rate than stock. This sort of reminds me of my old 08 Dakota Sport that I factory ordered with rear sway bar upgrade and I have not regretted that a bit as I have run down slow driven sportscars in the twisties with a truck, but Honda won't do that sort of factory option. If you want your Ridgeline really neutral in the corners and not the usual truck plowing/understeer, then our springs and this sway will be the way. Springs finally shipping next week, this sway is a final prototype and I am going to put some hard miles pushing on it before it can possibly get a green light for production. That means if the Sway Upgrade goes to production it is many months from now, this is just a sneak peak.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, there are many different ways to measure the rate of a bar setup and most companies do the naked bar rate and that is not very helpful in my mind because bars are ONLY used as translated through the mounting and too often the mounts are left to do all the flexing that the bar is not doing. So, we test in a rig with the mounting hardware. That means we put a lot more work into the mounting stiffness and you can see here the gusseted brackets and that we sandwich a steel plate at the attachment to the chassis. Result is much stronger than stock mounting. The bar is 28.5mm solid, and if the stock bar has a rate of 100# as mounted with stock mounting, here you are getting 200# and 234# (depending on attachment point of the endlinks). Yes, we are neatly doubling rear sway bar rate and a bit more...and the difference is instantly obvious on freeway ramps. Long before this gets a green light I will make a dedicated thread for it, but for those who want to watch the progress we put it on the site at THIS LINK and you can sign up there for notifications. These Anti-roll bars are cold-formed using custom-built precision bending equipment. Laser-cut and CNC bar ends are MIG welded in place using a precise fixture for an exact fit that is more durable than alternatives used by some other choices.

First Freeway 270 degree ramp with this was pure love, truck is so much more flat in the turn and much of the remaining stock understeering plow as you approach the limit is finally gone in favor of a much more neutral truck. I had to special order from 08 Dakota from the factory as a "SPORT" version with upgraded rear sway to get decent balance in that machine and Honda won't do that sort of customization at the front end so here we are doing it ourselves to get a more sporty driving G2 Ridgeline.

Yes, we color match it to the springs with same super durable finish.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Awesome news on the sway bar!! How will this work on a non-lowered and front leved kitted truck? Still worth it?
You get even more sporty with the springs added, but certainly not required to enjoy the sway upgrade. Either way the sway is a big help with the balance and you will instantly feel the truck more flat in the turns

1 - 20 of 23 Posts