Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Okay, Springs finally shipping to customers TODAY. Thanks to all for waiting. Our popular Dual Exhaust System also currently shipping and time to focus on our next Ridgeline G2 item....

Since we had a lot of delay on the springs, decided we would knock out another item.....REAR SWAY BAR UPGRADE. As noted before, I already put more rate in the rear springs compared to the other choice on the market and that was for better balance than the other choice, and a bit more support when towing. That 400 pound rear spring rate helps, but I would have gone further if the stock shocks/struts would handle more and we wanted to stay within what the stock dampers would handle. So, to get the handling even more flat in the turns and even better balance we are doing just a rear sway bar upgrade with more rate than stock. This sort of reminds me of my old 08 Dakota Sport that I factory ordered with rear sway bar upgrade and I have not regretted that a bit as I have run down slow driven sportscars in the twisties with a truck, but Honda won't do that sort of factory option. If you want your Ridgeline really neutral in the corners and not the usual truck plowing/understeer, then our springs and this sway will be the way. Springs finally shipping next week, this sway is a final prototype and I am going to put some hard miles pushing on it before it can possibly get a green light for production. That means if the Sway Upgrade goes to production it is many months from now, this is just a sneak peak.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, there are many different ways to measure the rate of a bar setup and most companies do the naked bar rate and that is not very helpful in my mind because bars are ONLY used as translated through the mounting and too often the mounts are left to do all the flexing that the bar is not doing. So, we test in a rig with the mounting hardware. That means we put a lot more work into the mounting stiffness and you can see here the gusseted brackets and that we sandwich a steel plate at the attachment to the chassis. Result is much stronger than stock mounting. The bar is 28.5mm solid, and if the stock bar has a rate of 100# as mounted with stock mounting, here you are getting 200# and 234# (depending on attachment point of the endlinks). Yes, we are neatly doubling rear sway bar rate and a bit more...and the difference is instantly obvious on freeway ramps. Long before this gets a green light I will make a dedicated thread for it, but for those who want to watch the progress we put it on the site at THIS LINK and you can sign up there for notifications. These Anti-roll bars are cold-formed using custom-built precision bending equipment. Laser-cut and CNC bar ends are MIG welded in place using a precise fixture for an exact fit that is more durable than alternatives used by some other choices.

First Freeway 270 degree ramp with this was pure love, truck is so much more flat in the turn and much of the remaining stock understeering plow as you approach the limit is finally gone in favor of a much more neutral truck. I had to special order from 08 Dakota from the factory as a "SPORT" version with upgraded rear sway to get decent balance in that machine and Honda won't do that sort of customization at the front end so here we are doing it ourselves to get a more sporty driving G2 Ridgeline.

Yes, we color match it to the springs with same super durable finish.

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Awesome news on the sway bar!! How will this work on a non-lowered and front leved kitted truck? Still worth it?
You get even more sporty with the springs added, but certainly not required to enjoy the sway upgrade. Either way the sway is a big help with the balance and you will instantly feel the truck more flat in the turns

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, the key question: How is the ride with both the springs and the sway bar? I really want a truck that corners like my Miata on the "mountain race course" near my home, but the Princess loves the truck so does not want a rough ride ... :)

271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So, the key question: How is the ride with both the springs and the sway bar? I really want a truck that corners like my Miata on the "mountain race course" near my home, but the Princess loves the truck so does not want a rough ride ... :)

My wife loves the Ridgeline, drives it daily. It is heavy enough that it will never feel like her own supercharged Miata. But for a truck our Ridgeline now handles far beyond stock levels and still rides plenty plush.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts