Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ridgeline Dual Exhaust with Adjustable Sound.

Thanks to all who made pre-orders, those shipped today and FEDEX will send you tracking by morning. After today we are shipping daily! And first local customer had their install here today and that meant a good opportunity to do more pictures and finish installation instructions. See the link above for lots more pics and details and videos.

290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great. Is this just for sound or are there any performance gains? If so, would you be able to share the results?
Sound, fun, and performance. Factory converter has a 2.5 inch outlet but factory Ridgeline exhaust chokes down to just about 2 inches after that point. If we look in the Acura applications where folks have done dyno work with the same exact motor and moving to freeflow 2.5 inch setups like this the gains are over 10hp. The dyno we usually use still closed for COVID reasons so we will have that bit of testing fun later but we know a mere 2 inch exhaust is a choke on this 3.5 inch motor, just 2 inches is the size of exhaust pipe we see on motors less than half that size.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My initial impression is this quality system that is well engineered and much consideration to the driver experience by having the options.

My one concern - towing with this setup. Towers are well in the 3000-6000 rpm band for extended periods of time, especially up long sloped hills. The stock setup is already quite loud in this scenario. My concern is that this setup would be unbearable noise in this use case.

Would love to hear from someone who has towed with this exhaust. Anyone?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,233 Posts
Sound, fun, and performance. Factory converter has a 2.5 inch outlet but factory Ridgeline exhaust chokes down to just about 2 inches after that point. If we look in the Acura applications where folks have done dyno work with the same exact motor and moving to freeflow 2.5 inch setups like this the gains are over 10hp. The dyno we usually use still closed for COVID reasons so we will have that bit of testing fun later but we know a mere 2 inch exhaust is a choke on this 3.5 inch motor, just 2 inches is the size of exhaust pipe we see on motors less than half that size.
Acuras probably have a larger throttle body and different intake manifold.

·
Administrator
23,755 Posts
At least in the case of the 2.0T, Acura uses not only a higher-flowing exhaust system, but a higher-flowing intake system as well as software differences to gain 20 HP and 7 lb-ft in the RDX over the Accord.

"Exclusive changes for the RDX were in flow for both intake and exhaust, to make sure we get the performance that we need, and ECU tuning for premium fuel—recommended but not required.”

I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar differences between the 3.5L V6 in Hondas and Acuras as well.

290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At least in the case of the 2.0T, Acura uses not only a higher-flowing exhaust system, but a higher-flowing intake system as well as software differences to gain 20 HP and 7 lb-ft in the RDX over the Accord.

"Exclusive changes for the RDX were in flow for both intake and exhaust, to make sure we get the performance that we need, and ECU tuning for premium fuel—recommended but not required.”

I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar differences between the 3.5L V6 in Hondas and Acuras as well.
I was talking same 3.5 liter V6 as used in other applications.
The RL in their video is right hand drive :)

Ha, just the camera phone doing a flip of the image.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It may fit but what would you gain?
Truthfully, the 2021 has the dual pipes already so the "look" is there. And I know in modern engines there is little horsepower to be gained and certainly little useful horsepower to be gotten from such an exhaust. But unlike a lot of engines the Honda V6 makes "a very nice sound" under acceleration, and a little extra volume and throatiness from it would be nice. A little aural pleasure before we are forced into the lifeless, soulless electrics ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds as if someone has already addressed the making of a muffler replacement for one of the 4 on the 2021 Ridgeline that can enhance sound of the V-6 may be what I am looking for? Low sound decibal, modest noise (otherwise wife will kill me !).......but who, where ,address, order info ??? Please print it out plain and simple....thanks...

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T FWD
2,740 Posts
I would certainly think the Good-Win Racing system would be the quietest "straight-thru" Ridgeline system out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would certainly think the Good-Win Racing system would be the quietest "straight-thru" Ridgeline system out there.

The Good-Win folks did reply however the dual kit they market is for 2017-2020 Ridgelines ...not for a 2021, and they do not have an after market muffler/kit to alter the 2021......seems as though it might be relatively simple to make up such a kit with the option of a low decimal modest sound to a nosey rapt sound muffler with clamps and install instructions .......heres hoping they do!

290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any thoughts of producing a version without tips for people who want to put their different tips on?
it seems a waste to cut off the tips to change them out.
No plans for that at this time, basic economies of scale dictate that getting a decent price means we do 100 at the same. Making a limited run of kits without tips would actually make them cost a lot more...like $200 more per kit. Again, that's economies of scale...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ridgeline Dual Exhaust with Adjustable Sound.

Thanks to all who made pre-orders, those shipped today and FEDEX will send you tracking by morning. After today we are shipping daily! And first local customer had their install here today and that meant a good opportunity to do more pictures and finish installation instructions. See the link above for lots more pics and details and videos.

Is that short capped pipe thats sticking off to the left (In the photo) have a bracket holding it up or is it just supported by the weld where it connects to the mail exhaust pipe in front of the muffler?

290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that short capped pipe thats sticking off to the left (In the photo) have a bracket holding it up or is it just supported by the weld where it connects to the mail exhaust pipe in front of the muffler?
I think you are talking about the Helmholtz pipe, it doesn't have a dedicated hanger, double welded into main pipe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts