Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone happen to have any experience with these tires on their Ridgelines? I have an 08 RL and have kept using OEM tires (Michelin LTX M/S), but they just don't seem to perform for the occasional ski trips and camping trips. My Ridgeline is primarily driven in the New England area (Northeast US). Based on what I've read so far, it seems to be on par with OEMs, since they're both All-Season, but with the main advantage probably that these Good Years can grip the dirt/mud/wet roads better when I go camping. I think it will be decent as well on snow roads/highways.

Good Year Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had the Goodyear Wrangler's on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler (not sure which design/model exactly, but they were "all weather"). I also live in New England and drive 100+ miles a day in all weather, from areas ranging from the Cape to southern RI to Bangor Maine. My opinion is that the Goodyear tire did not grip the road and feel as sure-footed as the OEM Michelin's. I know it's not the same vehicle, but my three RL's (with OEM's) outperformed my Wrangler (with the OEM Wrangler's) in the snow. As a matter of fact, when my current vehicle needs tires I'm going to replace the all-weather Goodyear tires (not Wrangler's these are Fortera's or something like that) with the Michelin M/S if I can get the size I need. Plus, I was very impressed with the lack of wear on the Michelin's.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
No personal experience with the Goodyears.

OEM LTXs are all season highway tires, the Goodyears that you are asking about are on/off road tires. Different tire categories.

Take a look at Tire Racks ratings here if you like:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

These ratings are based on customer surveys so take the info as you will.

The top rated BF Goodrich's show much better snow traction reviews but I don't think they are available in the stock size for your 08.

The Firestone Destination ATs are highly (higher than the Goodyears particularly in the snow) rated and a good bit less expensive. Might be worth considering.

Keep in mind that an AT tire will probably not be as quiet as a good all season highway tire and in general its on road dry performance and ride quality will probably not be quite as good.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Had OEM Wranglers on my 2004 Nissan TITAN. At 24k when I traded it for my 2007 RL they looked about done in the next 10k. Looking at the price on the link you provided you may want to look at the Michelin LTX/AT's. Price wise they are about the same depending where you bought them, and my prior history with them is they lasted over 60k on my Ford Ranger prior to my TITAN. I put them on my RL recently after the LTX/MS tires went 72k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Currently I am on my 2nd of Michelin LTX M/S and my Ridgeline is just under 140k miles. I think I have maybe about 5-6k miles left on the 2nd set. Given the price point of the Firestone Destination A/T's, it's definitely worth considering. I will keep shopping around. Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
All the decades I've owned vehicles, I never purchased a Goodyear tire. In most cases the ones that were rated the best were also the most expensive against the competition.

·
Registered
385 Posts
From looking at the tread, it appears to be a fairly conventional all-terrain tire. With less siping and reduced tread area compared to the stock tires, I would expect it to perform better offroad and in mud, and worse on ice and in snow.

F

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I bought a set about six months ago after getting several flats in the oilfield in my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with Goodyear SR-As. Overall, I am quite pleased with the tires, and haven't gotten a flat since I put the Goodyear Wrangler Adventures on. IMHO, and I was a tire dealer at one time, I have to say that, for the most part, I haven't been fond of Goodyear tires. The Wrangers, in particular, were prone to quick wear and belt separation. Overall they were just not very good. My last four sets of tires on different vehicles have been the Michelin LTX MS2 tires. I have read a couple of reports here that people weren't satisfied with the treadwear compared to the original tires. In my experience, I have never seen the treadwear remain the same from the first set of tires to the second set. I believe, but I'm not certain, that the loosening/wear to steering and chassis components contributes to the less treadwear one gets out of a second set of tires, but this isn't scientific. I once got over 90k miles from the LTXs and still had tread when I sold the 4Runner. The LTX tires are the best tires in snow and ice I have ever used except for a designated snow tire. If you are looking for a winter tire, the Adventures probably aren't the way to go. Just after selling my Avalanche with LTXs and going to Adventures on my Ram, I had to drive 350 miles in snow and ice from CO to West Texas. I didn't think I was going to make it because of the lack of snow traction of the Adventures compared to the LTXs. The Adventures are by no means bad, but don't compare to the ice/snow traction of the Michelins. If you want all-terrain capability and very good wet and dry traction, go with the Adventures. If you want a M&S tire, with unbelievable treadwear and excellent winter capabilities, go with the LTXs. I have driven about 12k miles on my Adventures so far, and they have worn about 2/32" of treadwear at this time. I think they came new with about 10/32". If they keep wearing at this rate, I will probably get about 60k miles out of them. You do the math. I am running 275/60R20s. Of course, my Ram is much heavier than an RL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a set about six months ago after getting several flats in the oilfield in my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with Goodyear SR-As. Overall, I am quite pleased with the tires, and haven't gotten a flat since I put the Goodyear Wrangler Adventures on. IMHO, and I was a tire dealer at one time, I have to say that, for the most part, I haven't been fond of Goodyear tires. The Wrangers, in particular, were prone to quick wear and belt separation. Overall they were just not very good. My last four sets of tires on different vehicles have been the Michelin LTX MS2 tires. I have read a couple of reports here that people weren't satisfied with the treadwear compared to the original tires. In my experience, I have never seen the treadwear remain the same from the first set of tires to the second set. I believe, but I'm not certain, that the loosening/wear to steering and chassis components contributes to the less treadwear one gets out of a second set of tires, but this isn't scientific. I once got over 90k miles from the LTXs and still had tread when I sold the 4Runner. The LTX tires are the best tires in snow and ice I have ever used except for a designated snow tire. If you are looking for a winter tire, the Adventures probably aren't the way to go. Just after selling my Avalanche with LTXs and going to Adventures on my Ram, I had to drive 350 miles in snow and ice from CO to West Texas. I didn't think I was going to make it because of the lack of snow traction of the Adventures compared to the LTXs. The Adventures are by no means bad, but don't compare to the ice/snow traction of the Michelins. If you want all-terrain capability and very good wet and dry traction, go with the Adventures. If you want a M&S tire, with unbelievable treadwear and excellent winter capabilities, go with the LTXs. I have driven about 12k miles on my Adventures so far, and they have worn about 2/32" of treadwear at this time. I think they came new with about 10/32". If they keep wearing at this rate, I will probably get about 60k miles out of them. You do the math. I am running 275/60R20s. Of course, my Ram is much heavier than an RL.

Thanks Cochise111!! That is a very detailed experience. I may very well stick with getting the OEM's Michelin LTX M/S. It's just crazy expensive, so if I can find a cheaper alternative without compromising too much on performance with wet/dry/snow highway roads, that would be great. Some light off road would be good, nothing hardcore. I'll keep looking, only a few more days before I'm ready to go buy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow I was really looking to get those Goodyear adventures with Kevlar. I was going based on the comparison chart on Tirerack:
ImageUploadedByAG Free1443447991.103702.jpg
Maybe I'll consider the Michelins again. I was thinking of trying the Goodyears out because I will only be on track to get about 40,000 miles out of this first set of the Michelins. Plus I thought the Goodyears looked cooler and would be better for driving through fields to get to fishing areas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Wow I was really looking to get those Goodyear adventures with Kevlar. I was going based on the comparison chart on Tirerack:
View attachment 203946
Maybe I'll consider the Michelins again. I was thinking of trying the Goodyears out because I will only be on track to get about 40,000 miles out of this first set of the Michelins. Plus I thought the Goodyears looked cooler and would be better for driving through fields to get to fishing areas.

You used the comparision feature on the tire rack website? I don't think that comparing the numbered ratings between tires in DIFFERENT PERFORMANCE CATEGORIES gives you much meaningful info. The numbers are only scaled within their category. For instance the OEM LTX's snow rating is based on the customer survey results for all the included all season high way tires. It is not being compared to dedicated snow tires (for instance) or all terrain on/off road tires which are both in a different performance category. A snow performance rating of 9 in the All season category might be more like a 6 in the dedicated snow tire category. Just something to keep in mind . . .

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Thanks Cochise111!! That is a very detailed experience. I may very well stick with getting the OEM's Michelin LTX M/S. It's just crazy expensive, so if I can find a cheaper alternative without compromising too much on performance with wet/dry/snow highway roads, that would be great. Some light off road would be good, nothing hardcore. I'll keep looking, only a few more days before I'm ready to go buy.
If you are looking for something a little less expensive, Firestone's Destination line of tires is very good, especially for the money. I'm not sure if you're interested in all-terrain or M&S, but take a look at the Destination A/T and the Destination LE2. Firestone will match anyone's price, so print a price quote from Tire Rack, Discount Tires, Costco, etc. and Firestone will match it. That is, if you wanted to get the tires immediately. Tire Rack usually gets them to me in two or three days though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You used the comparision feature on the tire rack website? I don't think that comparing the numbered ratings between tires in DIFFERENT PERFORMANCE CATEGORIES gives you much meaningful info. The numbers are only scaled within their category. For instance the OEM LTX's snow rating is based on the customer survey results for all the included all season high way tires. It is not being compared to dedicated snow tires (for instance) or all terrain on/off road tires which are both in a different performance category. A snow performance rating of 9 in the All season category might be more like a 6 in the dedicated snow tire category. Just something to keep in mind . . .

I was comparing it to the other Michelin AT Tire. If the AT2 does better than the M/S2 in real performance in snow, than the Goodyear Adventure should do better than the other 2 per the ratings. But the other reviewer is saying they are not as good as the M/S2.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
I was comparing it to the other Michelin AT Tire. If the AT2 does better than the M/S2 in real performance in snow, than the Goodyear Adventure should do better than the other 2 per the ratings. But the other reviewer is saying they are not as good as the M/S2.

Michelin M/s2 is an all season highway tire. The other two (in your comparison) are all terrain on/off road. The number ratings between the two types are not on the same scale. Thus comparing the numbers for the M/S2 with the other two doesn't really tell you anything . . .That is all . . .

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
I have a new set of Firestone Destination LE2 (all season highway tire) on my truck currently. Compared to the stock Michelin LTX MS (not the ms2s by the way which are not available in the stock size for 17" wheeled Ridges) they are quieter with a better ride. They handle the snow about as well.

I would expect the Destination ATs to handle the snow and off road better than the LE2s but give up a good bit on road noise, dry traction / handling, and ride comfort.

My experience is that Tire Racks prices are not usually the best that you can do online (including shipping) When I bought the Destinations, Firestones price (sale price) was less than if bought from Tire Rack. I wasn't overly impressed with the service at Firestone and would only go there for a good deal on tires.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Michelin M/s2 is an all season highway tire. The other two (in your comparison) are all terrain on/off road. The number ratings between the two types are not on the same scale. Thus comparing the numbers for the M/S2 with the other two doesn't really tell you anything . . .That is all . . .

Oh ok I got ya. I figured since those were the consumers ranking and not the ones in each category that they were based off the users perceptions as how they handled in each of those situations.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have a new set of Firestone Destination LE2 (all season highway tire) on my truck currently. Compared to the stock Michelin LTX MS (not the ms2s by the way which are not available in the stock size for 17" wheeled Ridges) they are quieter with a better ride. They handle the snow about as well.

I would expect the Destination ATs to handle the snow and off road better than the LE2s but give up a good bit on road noise, dry traction / handling, and ride comfort.

My experience is that Tire Racks prices are not usually the best that you can do online (including shipping) When I bought the Destinations, Firestones price (sale price) was less than if bought from Tire Rack. I wasn't overly impressed with the service at Firestone and would only go there for a good deal on tires.
Worst thing about today's Firestones are the dealerships. I would never step in one again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned the Goodyear Adventure w/Kevlar for a year now. My OEM Michelin's wore out and I wanted something more "aggressive", and since I like Goodyear (don't know why, but that's all I've bought for years now), these tires fit the bill. It was almost pointless for me to buy them, 98% of my driving is in the city under normal conditions.

That being said, I think these tires are actually really good street tires, for being AT. I've pushed them hard in adverse conditions, to "test out" their capability, and overall I'm happy. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean these tires performed miracles, it's just that for AT's, I was pleased.

Snow; honestly, the OEM's might be a tad better. I never once had a real problem, I was only slightly disappointed when I pushed them hard. I never had a problem going straight, it was while turning. I felt like they should have bit into the snow better for having an aggressive tread.

Rain; not one problem.

Normal/Dry; more than fine for AT's. I've had a few panic stops, street & highway, I never felt like it under-performed. A few people expressed concern for excess road noise since they're AT's, but I've never noticed any difference between these and the OEM's.

Off-road; honestly, haven't done anything "extreme". The worst though was a couple weeks ago, I was at the family farm. The harvested wheat field was just disked, and they had been having drought like weather this year, the dirt was just like sand. I was worried I might have trouble, but the Ridgeline plowed right trough it. I was pleased.

Overall; I like the tires, no problems, but I think I would've been slightly better off with a more traditional tire.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think I'm still going to get them to try them out. Worst case I get the original Michelins again and just stick with them.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you want a decent Goodyear branded AT type tire go with their Duratrac.
I've got 30k left to go on my second set of Ltx/ms2 tires. They'll take me through to the spring of 2017.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts