Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, about 3 weeks ago I hit a deer (full size doe) in my RL going around 85 on the hwy. RL took it like a damn champ! Deer was knocked straight down into the middle of the fast lane, airbag deployed and car shut off. Really wasn't much impact for me, nor deceleration (even with the truck off). My chest just barely hit the airbag. Eased her over to the left shoulder and she wouldn't restart. $9k in damage before they even looked at the engine damage, which was estimated at a bare minimum $3500. So my RL was deemed totaled (75% of value in NC). Sad day, had so many good times with the RL. Going to miss it. She really helped me out though. First by not letting the deer come over the hood and second by being worth more than I thought (or what dealers were offering me 9 months ago). I was able to pocket $5k and how I have a new car with no payments.

So thanks for the good times RL and for basically saving my life.

Hope to own another someday, especially if the 2nd gens are a tad bigger inside. Loved my truck trunk to death.

I'm new to the forum and really here to sell my softtopper truck cap (will post an ad when I have privileges if anyone is interested).

Also if you are in NC or near by there will be a RL with practically new nitto terra grapplers (maybe 1k miles) at a auction house near you. PM me if you want the name of the auction house.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Your RL definitely sacrificed itself to keep you from harm, glad that you are OK.

Good to know your insurance did right by you and you have another vehicle, but I've got a feeling you will be back behind the wheel of an RL sooner than you think. :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
Sad to See, but Glad to hear it sounds like it worked out for you.

Good Luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, about 3 weeks ago I hit a deer (full size doe) in my RL going around 85 on the hwy. RL took it like a damn champ! Deer was knocked straight down into the middle of the fast lane, airbag deployed and car shut off. ...
Too bad for everything: You, the RL and ... the deer.
I never felt comfortable driving above 60mph on any road... let alone 85 mph on a 65mph road/highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you are ok. Was the deer totaled? I bet it was a mess.
Oh yes. It hit just a little to the passenger side of center. The bumper mount (unmoved in the photo) cut her in half. The tow truck driver said he gets at least one deer call a night and usually is able to get the backstrap or similar to cook, but no luck with my deer. Deer never stood a chance. Not the best lighting on that section of the highway. I had pulled ahead into a void of traffic and didn't see it coming until a split second before impact. If I had been in a car it might have been a totally different situation. The hwy I was on is the outer loop for the RDU, NC area, so it goes through some semi-rural areas. Still hard to believe she made it across 4 lanes of traffic to get to me, but I was in a void, with the closest cars 100 yards behind me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only problem you have now is waiting until you renew you insurance, good luck with that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We will see. Already have insurance for the new car, so that wasn't a problem. I'll see what happens at renewal time. It is state farm and they are pretty good. No accidents on my record at all. We had a washer hose burst and flood the 1st floor with 10 inches of water around 4 years ago. Somehow we didn't even have to pay our deductible. Insurance did go up 200 a year, but that included some NC policy changes as well. State farm has been really good to us.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
This is NOT a diss.
Every weekend I come home from the bush I see at LEAST 2 to 3 deer hit by vehicles. And its never mentioned on the news that someone has died because of hitting a deer, and it would make the news.
The RL is great but most vehicles that get a direct hit on a deer are totaled and everyone is fine. Just be aware when drivin this time of year and most of all the hours of the day. Them things are everywhere and when theres one theres another one or ten. :act018:
Glad your ok and have that new vehicle with some change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is NOT a diss.
Every weekend I come home from the bush I see at LEAST 2 to 3 deer hit by vehicles. And its never mentioned on the news that someone has died because of hitting a deer, and it would make the news.
The RL is great but most vehicles that get a direct hit on a deer are totaled and everyone is fine. Just be aware when drivin this time of year and most of all the hours of the day. Them things are everywhere and when theres one theres another one or ten. :act018:
Glad your ok and have that new vehicle with some change.
Yeah there aren't many fatalities from deer, yet they are the animal responsible for the most human deaths, at least in the US. ~200 a year.

This was the only one I saw, maybe its friends got scared at turned around. I've avoided 3 deer already this rut, but those were at slow speeds on surface roads. Going 85, in the fast lane, on an 8 lane highway is not really the place you would expect them. However they do have signs up on other sections of said highway this time of year. I'm a defensive driver and if it was light I might have seen it in time and avoided (slowed/sped up) as no other car was around me. But at this poorly lit section of hwy I would have had to been looking hard and probably still wouldn't have spotted it. However I wasn't on my A game either too many 16-20hr workdays for the past month before the accident. So I'm sure that played a part.

New (to me) car is a 2005 Subaru Outback XT limited 5sp. Stoked to be back in the turbo, manual game. Was looking at some FJ 60/80/100 land cruisers as well but ended up with the subie.

BTW, I still don't have posting privileges in the trading post section. I understand the policy to some extent (not wanting spam), however the part about not wanting people on here just looking to offload parts is a little one sided. This causes people to not post parts that members would be interested in and maybe get first crack at. This seems like a disservice to the forum members, especially in cases like mine where I have an awesome product that I loved but can't use anymore and will sell at a nice discount. I guess I'll just post the softtopper on ebay, that is where I purchased it when I got my RL.

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, I did lurk on this forum previous when I had questions/problems with my RL you guys were a great help. The dead cat, the phantom HVAC controller issue (oh the tech didn't plug it back in), etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
This thread and my wife's van getting totaled by a deer recently have me considering some deer protection, like a grille guard.
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Bull-Bars-Grille-Guards/Steelcraft-Grille-Guard?set-vehicle=1
IMO: "grill guards" are nice cosmetic additions, but offer little in the way of collision protection. Except for "brush" and very low speed parking maneuver protection - where it might prevent a scratch of deformation of the plastic bumper cover, they do almost nothing for on-the-road impacts. That is, unless one believes that more folding metal in a serious collision = protection. At that point, the vehicle is likely a goner anyhow, but I suppose a guard could add a very small degree of crash "protection" to human life in a serious incident.

Very happy to hear the OP author survived this!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,602 Posts
Grill guards are very bad for humans. Nice soft plastic is much better if you hit a human. I know, I was hit by a Buick. (OK, it was only a Skylark)

·
Registered
157 Posts
To Coffey: what was the "dead cat" issue you had with your RL ? Was this "cat" of the feline variety or was it a catalytic converter? The reason I ask is the code I get periodically on my RL indicating the catalytic converter has an issue, even after replacing the O2 sensor and AF sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To Coffey: what was the "dead cat" issue you had with your RL ? Was this "cat" of the feline variety or was it a catalytic converter? The reason I ask is the code I get periodically on my RL indicating the catalytic converter has an issue, even after replacing the O2 sensor and AF sensor.
Yeah, catalytic converter, no felines were harmed. I lost the bank 2? (between engine and firewall) cat at about 88k. Of course it was right around the time for inspection and in Wake county NC we have emissions testing. Seems to be a common issue with hondas, especially bank 2, maybe as there is more heat back there? That is part of the reason for the lower valuation ($11k vs the 16k from insurance) when I was thinking of trading in it about 9 months ago.
I actually put a spacer (2 drilled spark plug arrestors from auto parts store) on the downstream 02 sensor (one before the last cat) and this stopped the check engine light so I could get it inspected. Was planning on switching the cat out at a later date (was laid off at the time). Gas mileage went down to like 11ish mpg on the highway (85mph though).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts