Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
They don't show differences in oils, either. They're not that type of tool.
I’m going to modify this. They can show certain kinds of differences, but NOT the kind everyone thinks. They’re not that kind of tool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've done oil analysis on all my vehicles for years. You will typically see wear metals in the early changes, but they taper off after awhile and those are the "golden miles" when your engine is running at its best. Once those wear metals make their return, it's probably time to sell 'er off and get another one. That said it may be 100,000 more miles before the engine requires major work, but why take chances unless you don't drive many miles.

It my experience, wear metals aren't usually the tell tale sign as much as oil dilution from ring failure. That's nasty, and it's time to divest yourself of that vehicle or save up for a repair.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
195 Posts
It's common to see fuel dilution if the engine hasn't been run for awhile. I'd suggest taking the sample after at least a 1/2 hour run to get a more accurate sample.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you are all missing the point on oil testing... The goal should be to find the best oil /filter combination, so you can extend the life of your engines... For 45 years, I've used Castrol /Fram on all my vehicles because a neighbor when I was a kid raced dragster and did the wear /tear testing and determined that combo was best... Has anything changed in the last 4 decades? I was hoping to find out here...

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
195 Posts
I think you are all missing the point on oil testing... The goal should be to find the best oil /filter combination, so you can extend the life of your engines... For 45 years, I've used Castrol /Fram on all my vehicles because a neighbor when I was a kid raced dragster and did the wear /tear testing and determined that combo was best... Has anything changed in the last 4 decades? I was hoping to find out here...
Are you aware of any major brand oil that has caused premature wear? I think regular changes is the best we can do.
Nothing wrong with Castrol, nor any of the others, IMO.
IOOT (in on oil thread.) 😉

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, Castrol Fram are just brands. Each big brand tends to have multiple versions of oil. I think quite a bit has changed in 45 years. I just use Supertech from Wally World because it's inexpensive and has a good Noack %. Anything that meets Hondas specifications should work fine for engine life as long as you follow the recommended maintenance and nothing unusual happens to your vehicle. It's always a good idea to pay attention to any new drips or such you might find where you park and do the occasional look around.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Raise those hoods once a week, have a look around, won’t hurt a thing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts