Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have had trouble finding a good solution to putting your phone or gps in the Ridgeline have a look at this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-gps-dash-mount-rf-dhmnt/10126443.aspx?path=fdb560238025310da8602a4016e8af0fen02

It's a Canadian site but I'm sure you can get it in the US. You need to supply the actual holder.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bUVRXxY1rRE/UTepyI224RI/AAAAAAAAJc4/Ns7lC8AThwo/w675-h683-p-o-k/1.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-G-8JtVp7wlA/UTepyKPVCZI/AAAAAAAAJc0/ijHNkHcHLws/w409-h307-o-k/3.png

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi , would you mind elaborating a bit on how you mounted your GPS, I have a 7 inch nuvi that I'm trying to mount in my 2010.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Are vent mounts worthy?

I like the concept for a couple of reasons. When I use my GS4/Waze for navigation, I keep it plugged into the charger. The back of the phone gets warm, so being on the cooling vent (for summer) means it will stay cool during operation/charging. Also, mounting on the vent just to the right of the steering wheel means it's just about perfect positioning for viewing too.

Are there any worthy vent mounts out there?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are vent mounts worthy?

I like the concept for a couple of reasons. When I use my GS4/Waze for navigation, I keep it plugged into the charger. The back of the phone gets warm, so being on the cooling vent (for summer) means it will stay cool during operation/charging. Also, mounting on the vent just to the right of the steering wheel means it's just about perfect positioning for viewing too.

I purchased a Garmin Air Vent Mount - it will NOT work with the air vents in my 2007 Ridgeline. I will search some more, I like the location of the GPS on a vent.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Are vent mounts worthy?

And will get HOT winter time?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, guess, for what I use my Galaxy Note 2, which is as HUD and to stream music when driving, I found the best to be a sticky pad on the dash. Couple bucks and works great. The only issue is, if I hard turn, G-sensor in the phone will flip the screen to the side, but I found easy fix - accelerate and hard brake, and it goes vertical back again.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
And will get HOT winter time?
Umm, hot air doesn't come out the central vents, only cool, conditioned air. ;)

The cooling effect from the vent will be mainly beneficial in the warmer months anyway.

The positioning should be about right for the vent just to the right of the gauge cluster and left of the radio.

If there is a worthy vent mount, of course. I have my doubts, though. And frequent insertion/removal could be problematic too.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
In mine anyway the vent you want to clip it to is the inside one. Honda went for max versatility and put a vertical vent in front of it. It will only work if you find an adjustable one that you can vice onto it. I use my phone for a GPS and it's hell trying to find somewhere to put it. I think I'm going to put the disk on the dash with some 3M velcro or something.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
BTW...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I use the Rocketfish Mobile Vehicle Mount. You can mount it to your window or vent. It was a little tricky to get the vent mount to not sway back & fourth on turns but I did. There's a piece on the back of the vent mount that pivots back & fourth. Once I positioned it correctly I cut down the flopping back & fourth.

It does get in the way of the shifter lever going from park to drive when my phone is in it. You can slide it up & down the vent, twist it out the way, wait until you put it in drive & then put your phone in it, etc... As you can see there are multiple ways to do this.

There may be better ones out there but this is the one I bought & I'm making it work. I run Waze on my phone like you do.

This is what it looks like. The vent mount is smaller image.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
You're right the Ridge does lack a good place for the phone. All you need is a Vehicle Specific Mount (VSM) brother. They are about $30. They make them for the left, and right side of the bezel. You pop the bezel off, and the bracket is designed to screw into an existing bolt hole behind the bezel. The pop the bezel back on, and you have a bracket with infinite mounting hole options. Once the mount is installed buy a cell phone cradle to attach to the mount - you can get an universal Akon on amazon for $5-10, but some companies make specific cradles for the popular phones. Two companies make VSMs Pro-Fit International, and Panavise. I have used these in the past in Range Rovers, F-150s, Cougars, RAV4, Land Cruisers (you get the idea) to install cell phone cradles, external satellite radio receivers.... I have a left side mount for my Ridge that I will be installing sometime in the next few days. Here is an image for reference (Not my Ridge). I'll post up pictures of my install next week.

Link on Amazon

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
That looks pretty cool ebrit, if it can be positioned where I want it.

·
Registered
770 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
^^Be warned once you put one in one of your cars, you will put one in all your other cars...and then your friend's cars...they spread like wildfires^^

·
Registered
770 Posts
Here is the cell phone cradle I use, cheap, low profile, simple, fairly adjustable:

Here is how I attach it to the VSM bracket:

Like I said above there are phone specific cradles, and a million universals to choose from, but this one does the job well, and the price is just right

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Ebrit, that looks awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
770 Posts
No problem.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts