Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Alright ebrit I bought the whole deal. We'll see how it works.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Panavise has 3 options

http://panavise.com/pdf_indash/751171106.pdf
http://panavise.com/pdf_indash/751171306.pdf

One of them can be mounted on either side.

I will be doing the left install for my phone.
Here is the cell phone cradle I use, cheap, low profile, simple, fairly adjustable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056G142G/ref=oh_details_o06_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is how I attach it to the VSM bracket:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BA503Y/ref=oh_details_o06_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like I said above there are phone specific cradles, and a million universals to choose from, but this one does the job well, and the price is just right
I'll be curious how your install goes. Initially, I'm a little concerned about the gear shift lever interfering with the mounted phone. That Arkon adapter and Arkon holder look like they may protrude into the operational area of the gear shift lever. The left side of the radio is where I prefer to locate the phone.

Is that bracket from Amazon a universal design that works either left or right side of the radio? I don't see any way to specify left or right on the Amazon page. Is there any vertical adjustment with it? I'm guessing not.

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'll be curious how your install goes. Initially, I'm a little concerned about the gear shift lever interfering with the mounted phone. That Arkon adapter and Arkon holder look like they may protrude into the operational area of the gear shift lever. The left side of the radio is where I prefer to locate the phone.
I am a little concerned about the gear shift as well, but the good thing about the 1106 model is that I can use it on the right side if all else fails. I mounted one in my RAV4 in the same place as the left side pic, and I was initially concernerd (granted there is no gear shift); it ended up be much further from the steering wheel than I thought it would be. None-the-less I will get some pics up when I finally get mine installed next week. I have had it sitting in the dining room for a good while now - LOL

Is that bracket from Amazon a universal design that works either left or right side of the radio? I don't see any way to specify left or right on the Amazon page. Is there any vertical adjustment with it? I'm guessing not.
The one I linked to on Amazon is the 1306 which is a right side only. I didn't see any 1106s (either side) on Amazon today, but you can always buy direct from PanaVise. The 1106 just flips over and works on either side depending how it is flipped no need to specify a side.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I bought the little stuff on Amazon but the bracket on eBay. The eBay auction looks like it works either side. I plan on putting it beside the radio on the right. Amazon says it's not prime and would get here in January. EBay says 5 days.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That is the right one Slider, and a good price. Back-in-the-day there was an eBay seller that only sold VSMs, and they were all that price.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
OK I put this thing in. One of the more frustrating things I ever installed but didn't spend a ton of time on it. I put it on the left side of the radio and it is awesome. The angle is perfect and you get a good view of the radio and retain most of the vent.

The problem is when you put the first bracket on and snap the dash back in (I had to trim it a tiny bit with my aftermarket setup) there's not enough room to get your fingers or a socket behind the second one to tighten. Then you have to secure the plate to the second one and it's tough too. So I took it apart and assembled it then bolted it back in. The problem with this was you then couldn't get the dash back on. I finally just bent it while hooked up, slid the dash on and bent it back. It's very forgiving and resilient.

Worth every penny and adjustable if you get a bigger/different phone. Perfect for my needs.Thanks ebrit.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Post up some pics of your install Slider. Does the shift lever conflict with the mount?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I am way too important for this

Thurston Howell III says...

I have two cell phones and can not be limited to just one telephonic device. My assistant places the devices on the center console on either side of the locking mechanism and my driver proceeds ever so carefully.

The phones are secure and can be easily answered by determining which ring tone is emanating from the specific device.

Please pass the beluga.

:act030:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It seems close at first but after shifting lazily and normally I haven't come close to hitting it. 20131222_094549.jpg

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, nice of the forum to magically flip two over but you can fix it or flip your screen over. :act060:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Drove around with it some now. It's the way to go. You can also see who's calling/messaging or whatever without looking down or fumbling with your phone. It is real close to the shifter but I don't hit it and after a week I'm sure anyone would get used to it. Love it.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
I'm liking how that works. Thanks for the pics. And thanks to ebrit for the tip.

Not sure what you mean about the fitment issues. I won't get around to this project anytime soon, but definitely want to try this out.

Is the phone easy to get in and out of the holder? Is the back of the holder sufficiently open to allow cooling from the dash vent?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The top two posts are fixed and the bottom two slide down and retract on a light spring. Just pulls right out and push down on bottom with phone to flip it in.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Great. I thought it likely that it operated that way.

I hope the back is open enough to let cooling air in. I run a GPS app nearly all the time and my GS4 runs a bit warm to suit me with the screen on all the time and the quad-core processor chugging away.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yep I do too. It's an inch narrower than my S3 but you can also slide the phone right or left within those posts to expose more of the phone to the vent. I don't worry about the battery getting too hot though. I can't imagine it would get hot enough to damage anything.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Agreed. I'm not worried about the heat, but would like to take advantage of the location and make use of the cool air.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Worth every penny and adjustable if you get a bigger/different phone. Perfect for my needs.Thanks ebrit.

Sweet! Glad it worked out well, and it looks good!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts