Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
I returned the InfiniApps Slyde and ordered the Mountek Snap v2. It should be here Tuesday. Hope that one fits properly.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I AM SORRY FOR NOT RESPONDING!!! I am not the best at staying active on some forums. And im only on when I have free time at work. I have the same one mykwalkr posted except mine has a little stop at the bottom to keep my phone from falling out. I have the original one they first started selling... It has been awesome. Keep in mind if you remove it a few times it will mess the felt up in the cd player a little bit. I will have pictures here shortly. I have a gs4. With the commuter case on it, it fit perfectly but now I have a commuter wallet and it is a little wonky, but still holds.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Thanks S.T.U.V. I'm not worried about the felt. I rarely use the CD player anyway.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yea exactly...same here. And with my grom BT setup it wont work. But you will be happy with the mount. I tried to be a supplier of them because it seems amazon or the site is the only places but they wanted a pretty high minimum order qty.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Update to my CD slot mount saga. I received the Mountek v2 nGroove Snap the other day (just before the snow). It fits my CD slot fine. And even with my Speck CandyShell Grip case on my Galaxy S4, the Mountek held my phone without issue, as I pounded over the rough snow and ruts. Actually, I was surprised how well it did.

InfiniApps sent me a thin blade version of their Slyde mount. I kind of like the round magnet better than Mountek, but again, it would not fit in my RL CD slot. It does fit in my Pilot's CD slot, go figure.

I measured (via digital calipers) the original Slyde tabs to be 2.90 mm thick. The thin blade version InfiniApps sent me measures 2.5 mm at the blade edge, and 3.0 mm at the base of the blade.

In contrast, the Mountek v2 Snap has a much more pronounced taper and measures 2.5 mm at the base and 1.8 mm at the blade edge. The Mountek fits my RL CD slot just fine.

I do find a bit of up down movement, even when it's locked it place. That's only noticed when I attach the phone to the magnetic mount. I don't see any movement when the phone is in place.

I've had a couple of times when I go to remove the phone, the entire mount comes out of the slot. But that has really not been a problem to this point.

InfiniApps original blade: (2.90 mm)

InfiniApps thin blade: (3.0 mm -> 2.5 mm)

Mountek nGroove Snap v2 (2.5 mm -> 1.8 mm)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried a few of the adjustable/suction units but they all felt cheap and flimsy. My mom grabbed me this for xmas at Staples (Canada) I believe, called a "Dash Crab" (not the duo version). It works great, and holds my Galaxy S4 perfectly. I have the suction mounted directly to the textured dash (not the window), above the vent area and it holds great (has never let go on me).

Or, if you want to have fun and save bucks - this looks like a good option as well!

http://lifehacker.com/5747897/how-to-build-a-car-mount-for-your-cellphone-from-office-supplies

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am thinking about ordering the magnetic version here soon because I have the new wallet case for my s4 and it tends to fall out on hard bumps/offroad. Now my question is.. Do you think the magnet in the mount will demagnetize my cards? I have read it doesn't really matter the size of the magnet it is the duration of the exposure. Do you think through the plastic and the foam cover on the mount it would be close enough?

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
You ask a very good question that I do not know the answer to. I still like the Mountek and it works very well. However, if I punch the screen too far off the magnetic mount, I can dislodge the phone and it falls off the mount. That is a rare occurrence thus far.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I tried a coworkers out today and it worked surprisingly well. I am going to take a chance on the magnet issue...after reading a bit i think it will be fine.Took a good smack to remove it unintentional. I put the metal tag on the inside of the case in the test. I might have to put it on the outside to get a better hold on it. Well to amazon I go!!

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Which one do you plan to get? I prefer the round (and seemingly stronger) magnet of the InfiniApps Slyde, but for the fact that it doesn't fit in my RL's CD slot.

Still, I've have no complaints on the Mountek Snap (v2). It's held my GS4 in the case (thicker metal plate inside the case) with no issues... and I gave it a pretty good torture test in the recent snow (rough ride). The Mountek came with 3 plates... 2 thick ones and 1 thin one... all with adhesive on one side. I just left the adhesive cover on and placed it between the back of the phone and the case, metal side facing out. Works fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have some questions about the friction mount and what appears to be a GPS on the dash in your pictures @speedlever
It looks to be a Garmin, is that correct?
How stable is it?

I'm considering this setup for a Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S which has a built in Dash Cam and a bunch of features like lane assist where stability is important.

Were you happy with it?

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
as i recall, i was happy with it. but i haven't used it in years having moved to a magnetic vent mount for my cell phone. the garmin has been retired for years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have some questions about the friction mount and what appears to be a GPS on the dash in your pictures @speedlever
It looks to be a Garmin, is that correct?
How stable is it?

I'm considering this setup for a Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S which has a built in Dash Cam and a bunch of features like lane assist where stability is important.

Were you happy with it?
This is a general reply as the post reply button kept leading me to facebook google login.

Anyway, this is the mount I use.

It does not mount to any CD player or vent. Keeps the dash the way it was intended.
Line of sight is exceptional - don't have to take my eyes off the road to see my GPS or phone.

Have one in all my vehicles.

Very sturdy mount. All metal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyway, this is the mount I use.
Thanks for the suggestion.

It would work if it came with a Garmin ball mount. The GPS I'm looking at has the Dashcam in the middle of the back. The mounting clip flips so the ball can be either above or below the camera.

So something that attaches to the mirror like yours would work. A Garmin ball mount that you could glue to the windshield like a mirror would be ideal.

This is a combo unit that includes GPS, Dashcam and a wireless back up camera. Garmin makes it difficult to hard wire because they put the receiving antenna into the power cord.

On edit: Based on your suggestion, I found a modular mirror mount system that just might work.
Plan A - suction mount
Plan B - friction dash mount
Plan C - Mirror mount composed of:
Which would cost ~$32.50 USD

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bit the bullet today and bought the Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S with the BC30 backup camera along with a couple of friction mounts from amazon.ca. I tried to price match amazon with gpscity.ca but they would not meet the $9.96 CAD difference for each with free shipping on a $500+ order. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll be able to report how it all went.

Plan C will come into effect if the other mounts leave something to be desired.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
21 Participants
Roy Ridges
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing