Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the fence not sure if i want navagation or not,my work has me finding addresses on a daily bases,wondered if i say the address will it show me exactly where im going..to the front door ,,or is it difficult to work with and not worth the money...thanks ,,cant find house ## in the dark on night apt...... : :confused:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
bart said:
I am on the fence not sure if i want navagation or not,my work has me finding addresses on a daily bases,wondered if i say the address will it show me exactly where im going..to the front door ,,or is it difficult to work with and not worth the money...thanks ,,cant find house ## in the dark on night apt...... : :confused:
I don't have an RL yet, but i do have Nav in a form of a PDA by Dell. Since i use my PDA alot and use different types of vehicle. Don't usually drive my own sometimes, anyways, i use my PDA alot and decided to use my PDA for Navigation. You can transfer your PDA if you don't decide to get the RTL nav. The feature that i have seems similar to what honda has for the NAvigation. Voice activation, voice direction for turn by turn, alternate routes if missed turns, tells you nearest location for gas, restaurant, hotels, motels, etc. All i need is a DC outlet and your set. Granted the screen isn't as big as the RL, but it does the job and upgrading the map is via computer or laptop usb connection.
its just personal preference of what toys to get when you get your RL. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am a salesman by trade and have used the Magellian GPS system. It is dash mounted on a failry sturdy stand or it can be suction cupped to the windshield. It uses memory cards to stor the maps, tho one unit has a hard drive that will hold the entire USA. The unit I purchased last year was about $900.00, I think it is less now. It talks to you, shows where things are like gas, restaruants and the like. The Roadmate Series of GPS is featured in Hertz cars as the Neverlost system.

While not voice activated, it is quite a bit less expensive than the built in. Plus it can go from car to car or car to motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
my gps through PDA is a software with a module that i install throught the expansion slot or IR/RF module and a seperate module receiver inside the car. I have a separated SD chip of 1.0 gig that has the maps of U.S. and Hawaii, also some MP3 files. Purchased my PDA from dell Axim X50V and used it as a PDA, MP3 player and GPS, i've looked through other GPS like the magellan and others and didn't like one task toy. So i opted to use my PDA since i carry this anywhere i go. my $0.02 in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My old truck had XM radio and GPS navigation. I got tired of all the power wires and XM audio output wires everywhere. I was always worried about someone seeing a big GPS on my dash and stealing it. I also didn't like the GPS cooking (black plastic) in the sun.

I prefer the clean lines of everything intrgrated and was happy to pay the premium for it. I also find the rear camera useful and the additional radio information useful, both of which display on the GPS screen.

It's a personal choice on a cheaper portable solution or built in. Both systems will get you from point A to point B and both system will annoy you with warning screens regarding blindly following the directions.

-W

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I am the navigator of the family and I was sold on the system, though I've never owned any type of GPS before. I also just bought an iPod and do not want to go back to hauling dozens of CDs around, especially since the rig doesn't have a player that plays MP3s. I hate the idea of paying a $2,000 increase to get the silly AUX jack. The jack and an MP3 player should be stock or at least an affordable upgrade for every trim model. This is a major misfire by Honda.

We did not have a NAVI system available in the whole state, or a blue Ridgeline at our local dealer, so we drove to one of their competitors south of here. That salesperson was much more knowledgeable about the rig and he put us in a Pilot to play with the NAVI long enough for my husband to love it too.

I win on all counts: NAVI, AUX Jack (with an ideal location that holds the iPod perfectly), moonroof, roofrack, running boards, rear mud guards, back up camera, and of course the tow package. My husband is not at all broken hearted that I want to get the top model and trick it out a bit (unfortunately, it's his vehicle) so I didn't have to twist his arm much.

Our Blue is on order with about a one month delivery time. We are both filled with anticipation.

Go play with the NAVI, even on the Pilot, to see what you think. The voice command recognizes male and female voices, so it is not one person specific. The driver has the speaker button on the steering wheel, but the passenger can do all the on screen touch pads to get by. The integration and looks are what make it worth that high price tag, plus we need it for the back up camera.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just got the rtl with navi this week. It is terrific. I had been using a garmin Ique PDA and am happy that I got the navi built in. It has the US built in unlike the garmin which requires downloading the region you are travelling to in the PDA. Also, while driving you can say "find nearest ATM, restaurant, gas station etc" and it will find it for you. Also you can say "Display" these items and see them on the navi screen. I also like that it is harder for me to break since I have a tendency to break PDA's. I also like the Megellan 700 system which has the entire US in the hard drive. It works very well, but I worried that the kids might knock it off the windshield and am happy that I spent the extra for the navi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the Navi... You will be glad you did. It is really nice. Plus you get a moon roof, XM radio and Voice control for the same proce (or at least I did). It will take you door to door in all but the most rural areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts