Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to put out a owner request petition to Honda for a low 1st gear with the new 9 spd tranny.
It's my opinion that Honda could greatly increase their credibility as a true truck by simply addressing one of the biggest weaknesses in the Ridgeline (No low range). However I don't think it is necessary to put a low transfer case, as this would add unnecessary cost. All that is needed is a low 1st gear (granny gear). Re-gear the the ratios 2nd to 6th the same as current 1st to 5th with 6th being the 1to1 for towing and 7 through 9 being the overdrive. I believe 8 drive gears are plenty for normal driving.
Under normal driving the system would start in 2nd. putting it in off-road mode or manual shift would allow the use of 1st. This would reduce the stress on the transmission for many users that might push it's capabilities off road.
I have seen the Ridgeline in many situations where traction and torque vectoring is not an issue but trying to get the wheels to turn required a lot of throttle and trans overheating can be an issue.
I would love to hear anyone who thinks that would be a welcome addition or why it is problematic for Honda. I personally don't think this would be a difficult thing for Honda to do with minimal cost and maximum benefit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
In "S1" isn't that like a 20:1 crawl?
Having a more difficult time finding the rear diff numbers for the Ridgeline so I couldn't tell you. 2015 Toyota trd is 34.5 crawl ratio in1st 4 lo with a 3.60 1st and 13.4 in 1st hi. so Honda having a 4.7 1st you might be right on the 20:1 Not bad but I think they need to be in the 30s to be competitive and have good control in the rougher stuff. Jeeps are 40:1
Info on AT9 current Hondas 2020 Ridgeline Specifications & Features

Registered
2017 Ridgeline AWD RTL-T
Not enough to earn the credibility that you speak of. The next complaint from truck purist will be that it isn't a box on frame design, no solid rear axle and on and on....

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Not enough to earn the credibility that you speak of. The next complaint from truck purist will be that it isn't a box on frame design, no solid rear axle and on and on....
Oh believe me I know! I've already caught hell from my buddies for getting one haha. Credibility is something earned. I would never think that a low range would make this a rock crawler, but just shoring up one of its weaknesses to make it an even better than expected truck. Although I have not yet seen any testing of the new zf9 with the 4.7 1st (TFL Gold mine hill). I had made a bad assumption that the previous 6 speed had the same 1st ratio so maybe a 20:1 in the new tranny will solve some old issues. Mine is a lease with all seasons on it so I wont be doing any testing myself.

Registered
Oh believe me I know! I've already caught hell from my buddies for getting one haha. Credibility is something earned. I would never think that a low range would make this a rock crawler, but just shoring up one of its weaknesses to make it an even better than expected truck. Although I have not yet seen any testing of the new zf9 with the 4.7 1st (TFL Gold mine hill). I had made a bad assumption that the previous 6 speed had the same 1st ratio so maybe a 20:1 in the new tranny will solve some old issues. Mine is a lease with all seasons on it so I wont be doing any testing myself.
TFL tested the 9-speed 2016 Pilot with a 4.7 1st gear.

Administrator
Having a more difficult time finding the rear diff numbers for the Ridgeline so I couldn't tell you. 2015 Toyota trd is 34.5 crawl ratio in1st 4 lo with a 3.60 1st and 13.4 in 1st hi. so Honda having a 4.7 1st you might be right on the 20:1 Not bad but I think they need to be in the 30s to be competitive and have good control in the rougher stuff. Jeeps are 40:1
Info on AT9 current Hondas 2020 Ridgeline Specifications & Features
4.713 first gear ratio X 4.33 final drive ratio = 20.407 overall drive ratio for the front wheels

The rear "differential" (which technically isn't a differential because it lacks epicyclic gears) is overdriven by 2.7% with respect to the front wheels so the overall drive ratio for the rear wheels is 19.871.

Premium Member
It sounds good on paper(and would make good marketing fodder) but I doubt anyone who buys a Ridgeline would ever use a "granny gear". The Ridgeline isn't a rock crawler by any stretch of the imagination and never will be, a super low 1st gear is pretty much useless for anything else. Going from the 6-speed to the 9-speed when I traded my 2018 for the 2020 took some getting used to but I'm happy with the 20:1 low gear(and whatever the reverse ratio is) when pulling or backing out of steep gravel construction driveways, it goes a lot easier than the 6-speed in the 2018. I'll mention I never downshift to pull out of steep driveways, I just put it in D and go.

My vehicles are work vehicles and work is in the North GA mountains where getting there means navigating steep muddy/sometimes snowy roads and driveways, often more than a mile of them combined. I've driven "real" 4WD vehicles since the mid-90s in these conditions(a Bronco II, three 4Runners and a Tacoma) and I could count on one hand the times I've used 4-LO with a finger or two left over. And that was pulling another truck out when they'd gotten stuck or couldn't make it up the hill.

And I think the ZF9 tranny uses only 2nd-9th gears anyway unless you go into sequential mode. I use 1st gear when going down steep hills and it works fine, wouldn't want it any lower. But that's just me and my use conditions, YMMV.

Best and stay safe,
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts