I will try to make this short. 2009 Ridgeline, 60K miles
1. Get in car and it is DEAD. No clicks or anything.
2. Jump starts in 2 secs. Surprising seeing as it was DEAD.
3. Starts to make a grinding noise, almost like metal on metal, but with some smoke and electrical type smell. Looks like it is coming from the alternator area.
4. Have it towed to local garage, not a Honda dealer. He says it was a shorted battery. I explain about grinding noise and smoke and he says he had it running for 30 min and no issues.
5. Drive it for a week and no issues. Then yesterday the noise starts again so park it and take wife's car on our trip instead.
A. Anybody experience this before?
B. Any suggestions on what I can check myself?
C. Think it might be best to take it to the dealer this time?
The local garage is reasonable and has always been good to me, but I need to get this fixed and be sure it won't fail me when on a trip.
Sarcasm, Rick, sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm. Dealers will always find SOMETHING that can be fixed, even it doesn't need it. And to the uninitiated, unholy relationships between thermostats and alternators can be made to sound very logical.