Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has a hair over 1000kms and it's getting amazing highway fuel economy!

It can only get better when it's fully broken in...

8.5l/100kms is 33mpg imperial... Better than my 35i x3!

·
Administrator
16,088 Posts
I'd suggest doing a manual calculation. You'll likely find fuel economy isn't quite as good as what the trip computer reports. Those of us who have compared the trip computer to multiple manual calculations are finding the trip computer reads about 1.5 to 2 MPG too high. You'll probably find your actual fuel economy is closer to 9L/100km - not as good as you think based on the trip computer, but still not bad for this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
From Fuelly.com:

"Based on data from 32 vehicles, 185 fuel-ups and 49,707 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.13 with a 0.55 MPG margin of error."

Incidentally, that's not US MPG (rather British imperial).

You are currently converting fuel consumption units from litre per 100 kilometers to mile per gallon(US)
8.51 l/100km = 27.639786521739 mpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
From Fuelly.com:

"Based on data from 32 vehicles, 185 fuel-ups and 49,707 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.13 with a 0.55 MPG margin of error."

Incidentally, that's not US MPG (rather British imperial).

You are currently converting fuel consumption units from litre per 100 kilometers to mile per gallon(US)
8.51 l/100km = 27.639786521739 mpg
"Margin of error" for gas mileage is comical.
I've learned there are a number of intangible factors involved in MPG. Everything from *how* you drive (fast off the line or easy controlled acceleration, and same for stopping/slowing); driving w/ or w/o Eco mode; reviewers perception of city driving vs highway in how it's reported; ethanol free vs multiple octane grades; air filter efficiency; whether or not you use cruise control (which even on small start and stop runs, preserves gas); level of maint. on individual vehicles; etc.

Using Fuel log (fuelly) I'm getting a "combined average" of approx 24.6 mpg... Of course, I'm thrilled, but I probably don't get to my destination as quickly as someone getting 22 mpg... (I'm actually enjoying the ride too much to push it).

Reactions: eastbayBee

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have several comments /thoughts here: first, the newer RLs apparently have made great strides in gaining better MPG. That's commendable!

My specific MPG (when I had my RL - based over a 3 year average): this easy on the go-pedal/ coast into red lights grandpa driver improved upon his 2011 group average by 1.6 MPG (17.6 vs 19.2). That was principally due to my frugal, non-aggressive driving habits, my flat geography, my keeping up with tire pressures, etc; so while not at the top of the MPG list (at least not at that time, it may be different today), I was close; but this was over 3 years use - not 30 days, or one or two partial tanks.

So these posted fuelly averages shouldn't be easily discounted. Just because you're currently getting 24.6 doesn't mean the average 2017 owner will. My challenge is - try to continue maintaining this higher than average over a long period of time? Most users posting high MPG results don't.

I believe that these other 32 fuelly posting drivers will likely be closer to what new users should expect longer term.

Of course YMMV. The improvements Honda has made here are commendable!

Reactions: Carsmak
1 - 9 of 9 Posts