Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a Sport Trac after a catastrophic timing chain event (working up the courage to break up with their very supportive owners group) :) - Had to move to a new, more refined platform. Very excited to join this community and start down a new road!
-Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Sigbigdig! Congrats. I'm another newbie, just joined this same day, but am still looking for the truck to own.

I've been doing my homework, trying to get a handle on the various trim levels and their options. Toward that end, I'd like to hear details about your new '13 RTL, and what options it has.

~Lefty7

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
336 Posts
Coming from a Sport Trac after a catastrophic timing chain event (working up the courage to break up with their very supportive owners group) :) - Had to move to a new, more refined platform. Very excited to join this community and start down a new road!
-Matt
Welcome Matt! Good luck with your Ridgeline and you made a good choice! I have to say though that I chuckled slightly when I read where you referred to your RL as being a "new, more refined platform." The first generation Ridgelines began being built in early 2005 (as a 2006 model) and they were largely based on the Pilot that was being built starting a few years earlier than that. And there were very few changes to the Ridgeline for the duration of the first Gen run, from 2006 through 2014. So most of the technology, features and design of your (our) first gen Ridgeline is over 20 years old! That said, like I stated originally, you made a good choice. Properly maintained first gen RLs has withstood the test of time in many regards, including durability. I have a 2011 and I absolutely love it. I previously had a 2006 and put over 200K miles on it. I then traded it for the low mileage 2011 I have now.

I hope you enjoy and have good luck with your RL. Be sure to search this forum to glean knowledge on necessary maintenance and the like. Sounds like you already understand the necessity to change the timing belt at proper intervals!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apologies if the (above) question qualifies as highjacking. I am currently shopping, and in trying to conduct an educated, ongoing 1G search, I understand the differences on paper. But the opinion of someone who has spent appreciable seat time in both pre- and post-'09 models would be of great value.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I’ve owned an 08 and currently drive an 09 with 365,000+. The 09 transmission improvements were worth going that direction, plus less risk of SMOD.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,219 Posts
The 2013 RTL is a great choice, @Sigbigdig, It should serve you well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lefty, This one is an RTL with leather and a moonroof. I don't yet know if it has nav as the former owner swapped in a pioneer bluetooth 2xdin screen. He put the old head unit in the trunk, though! Score! Probably need it for sone remote entry features or if it has Nav. Will report. I believe camera is plumbed to the mirror. KSPro, Regarding the "new platform" idea... understand that I'm coming from a 2002 Ford Sport Trac. Nuf said. :) It dates me even more to say that I have owned and maintained many Hondas for myself and my crew over the years... most new, some used... '95 Civic Lx, '97 Accord LX, '98 Civic HX, '99 C-RV, 2001 Civic LX(Still own,) 2002 C-RV LX(still own,) 2005 Civic Hybrid. To all, thx for all the welcomes! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thought on the tech lineage idea... I ride an '88 XR250R and will never part with it. Honda still sells the XR650L, and I think that kind of philosophy of keeping what works while also making improvements is great in a car company. Plenty of other car companies could take note about Honda's reliable engines. BMW, I'm looking at you. :)

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
336 Posts
Uh...sorry - the 'quote' doubled up on me.

KSPhoto: What aspects of your '11 do you find superior over your '06?, (besides the mileage, of course!)
Lefty, that was part of the point of my comment...there's really very little difference between a 2006 and a 2011. Or a 2014 for that matter. My 2006 was an RTS though, and my 2011 is an RTL w/Nav. so its got some more features that I enjoy. I also love the color, which is the Mocha Metallic and very rare. Right now it has only about 80K miles and has been very well maintained. I'm hoping to get another 10 years/150k miles out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for graciously answering my questions within Sigbigdig’s rightful greeting & purchase post.

As to Oarnold’s comment, I have to agree, (but only through my reading and research), that ’09 might be pivotal with the 1G years, even if only vaguely so.

Thanks very much, Sig… for the detailed description. Yeah, your ’13 RTL is a nice catch. BTW, ya wanna hear someone date themselves? My first ride – and the first vehicle ever registered in my name – was a ’67 Honda 305 Superhawk, dark blue. (I maintain that it was not very new when I got it…)

KSPhoto: Thanks for the comment, and the details of your Ridges. Yes, yes and yes to Mocha Metallic! (I thought I had a local ’10 w/63K in that color cornered, only to have Carvana yank it away just as I was about to negotiate with the owner.) I own larger, full size and HD stuff, and the addition of the 1G Ridge to the stable is under the pretense that it’s mostly for my wife. (No – really!) But that has got me backed into a bit of a corner paint color-wise, because she wants neither white nor black, which, to her eye, probably negates the Sterling Gray, Polished Metal and Modern Steel metallics as well. She like the ‘pretty’ Steel Blue and the two greens from the ’06-’08 years, and your Mocha, which, from the ad photo, we called ‘gold’. Obviously, she leans toward the lighter colors. I’ll be happy to borrow it regardless, but this really cuts down the field. Seems like once you remove all the black and white ones, the remaining selection has been more than halved.

Ah, but that’s what makes the search fun, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts