Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GREMLINS! No taillights, blinkers stop when brakes applied, turn signals "stick"

I'm having some electrical problems. Only modifications to truck are Optima Red Top battery and a hitch.

When head lights are on, no tail lights.
When brakes are applied and flashers are on, flashers stop.
When remote is used to unlock, no indicator flash from turn signals.
Turn signals don't "click", and left indicator in dash lights up when brakes are depressed.

I thought it was in my hitch wiring harness because it was pretty much a block of salty ice (conductive). But I cut the plug off, and taped off the wires, but no help.

Everything works perfectly sometimes, but it just went from an intermittent problem to a most of the time problem to an all of the time problem.

Where should I start with the diagnosis? I have a cheap multimeter and basic troubleshooting abilities.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Re: GREMLINS! No taillights, blinkers stop when brakes applied, turn signals "stick"

Most likely is the ground wires on the rear signal housings are not connected any more. to get the lights to light up, they are using the parking lights and stop lights as grounds.

I would remove the right and left rear light assemblies and take out the stop light bulb. With the brake engaged and the parking lights on there should be 12v on 2 connectors and none on one - the one with none is the ground.

The ground should be a dead short (0 ohms) with the truck metal frame. If it is open (the needle doesn't move). your ground is bad for that socket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: GREMLINS! No taillights, blinkers stop when brakes applied, turn signals "stick"

Good idea, I really hope its in one of the tail lights, It almost seems like it has to be because its the "open to elements" part of the truck where all of these circuits come together.

Out to the tail lights.

...gremlins...

·
Registered
605 Posts

I'm having some electrical problems. Only modifications to truck are Optima Red Top battery and a hitch.
Did you add trailer hitch wiring harness as well. If so check to see if they work. If you added hitch wiring harness. My first guess would be that’s where you’re going to find your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My first thought was the hitch wiring harness, so I cut the plug off (assuming it was bridged pins from saltwater.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts

If it is a non-honda plug you cut - they botched the install and probably where they spliced the wires has broken in two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

FIXED!

It was a combination. The hitch harness was bad, and the "small lights" fuse under the hood was blown.

My harness was from U-Haul, I liked it because there were small indicators on the plug so you could see that power was at least getting to the plug if you had to troubleshoot your trailer. There was a small box that mounted in the rear bumper, my guess is that something in the box went bad, the wires were all in good condition.

Now I'm deciding if I should get a cheap AutoZone harness or one from Honda. Not sure if there's a difference. I might try to Ebay the factory one.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

Aside from the price difference (about $90), the BIG advantage is that the Honda harness becomes a different lighting system from the trucks. It adds a few relays, fuses, controler, etc. Something happens to the trailer lights, it won't affect the trucks lights and vice-versa.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.