Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

601 - 620 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,019 Posts
^^ That's the original. I have the 4-rack digital version with automatic temp, time and smoker settings. I do like it for what it is. I smoke maybe a dozen times a year, so a $1000+ contraption really isn't worth it to me. The only thing that I complain about (as shown in previous posts in this thread) is that it doesn't get hot enough when food is in it. It will easily get up to 260-270 degrees while in the "warm up" phase, but once I open the door to put cool or room temperature food in it, it quickly drops to about 180 and takes about an hour to get to 210. No matter what setting I have it on or what I do with the vent, it won't get above 220 or so while food is in it. With all of the reading I've done, this is the number one complaint of Bradley owners. Bradley themselves have not provided a good solution for this and there is no option to "MacGuyver" the digital version to add another heating element. I've never done a REALLY long smoke/cook as in for a brisket to see if longer time allows it to get hotter. Nonetheless, I've perfected using my grill in conjunction with the smoker to turn out good results. I'll hold onto the Bradley until it doesn't work anymore and then consider a Traeger or a Big Green Egg.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
At one time I read the Smoker forums. There were folks who (mostly in the winter) wrapped welders blankets on/over their smokers (Harbor Freight) to help retain the heat. From my perspective: low and slow cooking/ smoking is superior.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,103 Posts
Welder Blanket or Welder Jacket works well in the Winter in the Desert

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,019 Posts
At one time I read the Smoker forums. There were folks who (mostly in the winter) wrapped welders blankets on/over their smokers (Harbor Freight) to help retain the heat. From my perspective: low and slow cooking/ smoking is superior.
Perfectly good with low and slow. The Bradley does a good job for what I need it to do. 200+ degrees is plenty hot enough for the meat to open up a bit and get the smoke flavor in it. It certainly cannot be used for actual cooking, but that's why I have my grill.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
I've cooked several boston butts low and slow; allow 18 - 24 hours at 200* (until meats internal temp also reaches 200*) and it'll just be falling apart.

It'll be so good you may just slap yo momma (southern slang - coming from this original So. Cali. boy!).

We still need pics!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Here's a little bit of a recent update. It's lunchtime and now I'm hungry!
BBQ Chicken turned into pizza and tacos.
Beef ribs that the butcher did sous vide that I finished up on the grill
Chicken again, this time karaage.
and a pork belly done up Chinese style.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Danke, that's some fine looking food and the presentation was impeccable!
The beverages look great too!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #608 (Edited)
Yes Danke, that looks very splendid! Pictures always add to my 'drool factor'.
The only remaining questions are: what hardware did you utilize to achieve those results?

While I'll pass on the grape, please pass me another beer.

At least for me, sometimes an open flame excels. Stolen Net pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Did a nice pork roast on the Traeger today, it turned out great.
I added a new twist as I have long been a fan of Head Country BBQ sauce, which has the right amount of spice/sweet ratio and we find it the best for our taste buds. The new twist is they now have a dry seasoning and I rubbed it down good and let it sit over night in the fridge.
Sprayed the roast every 45 mins with a mixture of apple juice and Dales seasoning.
Smoked for 4 hours and then wrapped in a foil pan with the apple juice/ Dales mix and put in oven at 250 for 8 hours.
Bear claws pulled it apart and my 6 year old grandson helped with the Bear Claws. He did get mad when I wouldn't let him keep them. :grin:
Served with corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes. Enjoyed by all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
OF2, that pork looks mighty fine; might I ask what did you wash it down with?

Tonight I served the third (of four) previously prepared Boston Butts; it was Campbells soup (umm-ummm) good. Served with fresh salad, smashed taters, sister Shubert rolls; and washed down with IPA beer or peach-flavored sweet tea.

·
Registered
629 Posts
OF2, that pork looks mighty fine; might I ask what did you wash it down with?

Tonight I served the third (of four) previously prepared Boston Butts; it was Campbells soup (umm-ummm) good. Served with fresh salad, smashed taters, sister Shubert rolls; and washed down with IPA beer or peach-flavored sweet tea.
The weather was perfect here yesterday during my "smoke" so I was sipping on cold beer(Michelob Ultra) in the afternoon as I was in charge of watching my grandboys. They love watching me do things and I try to let them do some hands on activities. We did a spring tune up on my Honda mower, plug, air filter and oil.
Also, I installed a new Yankee Hill barrel on my Bushmaster V-Match AR. This is a 1/7 twist so it should be good for a heavier bullet that I will be using on this build/ setup for the new Thermal scope. The boys loved watching me work on my "pig gun".
I will post pics of my build in the guns thread when I get everything completed. Still no word on the new Flir PTS536 first ship date. I'll give it a few more weeks and then may switch to the Pulsar Trail XQ 50 if still no firm ship date.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another great day here in DFW so I decided to fire up the Traeger and do some Venison Fajitas for my bride. Made some guacamole and had pico de gallo on top of the meat, onion,peppers and topped with a bit of mexi-cheese. Fresh corn on the cob and a couple shots of Tequila. The wife is dozing off already. Life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mothers Day and my bride of 40 plus years shall have one of her favorites, smoked Salmon! I have also prepared some bacon wrapped Asparagus and some Spinach and Mozzarella cheese stuffed Portabella mushrooms.
I will be using Alder pellets on the Traeger and the mandatory adult beverage selections will be served poolside with my son, daughter in law and grandboys ( milk for the boys of course).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
I'll be the first to admit, my son and I love to use the smoker. I will also admit we do a terrible job. The first time we used our propane smoker we all got a good laugh at the blackened chicken that greeted us when we opened the door of the smoker.

After that experience, the smoker went mostly unused unless my son got the "itch" and threw some meat on the smoker, hoping it would turn out more like it was supposed to. I really felt sorry for him, but he did get a few ribs to pass the edible test.

After all this great smoker cooking by Wrascal, Outfitter2, and Danke, among others, I went on the hunt for a different brand/type of smoker. I could not really afford a new one, so Craigslist was my first option.

We found a Traeger on Craigslist that someone was selling because he wanted to get an infrared grill. Apparently, he bought the smoker to be an all-in-one and was not pleased with the grilling aspect. His loss was our gain. We got a great price on this 4 month old unit.

I am pleased to report our Weber grill now has a brother, the Traeger. It will be a dedicated smoker, so we don't care about the grilling aspect of the smoker. It worked out great today and my son was so happy - he wants to cook something in the smoker everyday for the rest of the week. Thank you to all the members of this thread who kept sharing their delicious meals, so my son and I did not lose hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'll be the first to admit, my son and I love to use the smoker. I will also admit we do a terrible job. The first time we used our propane smoker we all got a good laugh at the blackened chicken that greeted us when we opened the door of the smoker.

After that experience, the smoker went mostly unused unless my son got the "itch" and threw some meat on the smoker, hoping it would turn out more like it was supposed to. I really felt sorry for him, but he did get a few ribs to pass the edible test.

After all this great smoker cooking by Wrascal, Outfitter2, and Danke, among others, I went on the hunt for a different brand/type of smoker. I could not really afford a new one, so Craigslist was my first option.

We found a Traeger on Craigslist that someone was selling because he wanted to get an infrared grill. Apparently, he bought the smoker to be an all-in-one and was not pleased with the grilling aspect. His loss was our gain. We got a great price on this 4 month old unit.

I am pleased to report our Weber grill now has a brother, the Traeger. It will be a dedicated smoker, so we don't care about the grilling aspect of the smoker. It worked out great today and my son was so happy - he wants to cook something in the smoker everyday for the rest of the week. Thank you to all the members of this thread who kept sharing their delicious meals, so my son and I did not lose hope.
Nice Sparkland! If a guy can't cook with a Weber and a Traeger he needs to go back to Ramen noodles and Beanies and Weenies!
IMHO, you have the best combo to do 95% of any cooking needed. Fire and Smoke cooking, just like great great great grandad Ug did in his cave.
Can't wait to see some more pics from the Traeger. I really do recommend getting a remote temp sensor, no shame in using one and I don't over cook things like I use to.......unless excess adult beverages are involved. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Nice Sparkland! If a guy can't cook with a Weber and a Traeger he needs to go back to Ramen noodles and Beanies and Weenies!
IMHO, you have the best combo to do 95% of any cooking needed. Fire and Smoke cooking, just like great great great grandad Ug did in his cave.
Can't wait to see some more pics from the Traeger. I really do recommend getting a remote temp sensor, no shame in using one and I don't over cook things like I use to.......unless excess adult beverages are involved. :grin:
Hey Outfitter,

Thank you for the hint about the remote temp sensor. It seems like there are a ton of choices. Amazon "says" this is the one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP20-Wireless-Meat-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526565837&sr=8-3&keywords=remote+bbq+temp+monitor

I don't always follow the crowd on Amazon. Do you have another recommendation?

About the Traeger, those things are expensive. I know the cabinet elevated the price over the normal smoker look. Glad I found a great deal or the Weber would not have a brother in the family and I would still be cooking like a caveman.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #617 (Edited)
A few months ago my primary thermometer bit the bullet and I needed one NOW. Went down to Walmart and came home with one that "supposedly" would link to my cell phone. Turns out it wasn't able to link to an AC type router, so back it went. Instead I came home with a cheap ($15) Plan B (with remote temps on the indoor display) and it works just fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill-Wireless-Grilling-Thermometer/54714923?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222057520993&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10378292574&wl4=pla-1105733660574&wl12=54714923_0&wl14=walmart expert grill remote thermoter&veh=sem&msclkid=af641ec22efa13c22b8b443f816e2af4

Of course I never had quibbles about stepping outdoors once every hour or so. YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
Two more tips: for moist/ falling apart ribs try the 3-2-1 method (further explained in many places -to include the Traeger site) AND very important, stay hydrated while smoking. I prefer the two outside edge IPA beers while my bride prefers the inner two poisons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
I really like the cabinet, I hadn't seen that before, but ... one question on your Traeger? Where's the smokestack? Additional smoker pics are in order.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey Outfitter,

Thank you for the hint about the remote temp sensor. It seems like there are a ton of choices. Amazon "says" this is the one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP20-Wireless-Meat-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526565837&sr=8-3&keywords=remote+bbq+temp+monitor

I don't always follow the crowd on Amazon. Do you have another recommendation?

About the Traeger, those things are expensive. I know the cabinet elevated the price over the normal smoker look. Glad I found a great deal or the Weber would not have a brother in the family and I would still be cooking like a caveman.
I have the same brand/ same basic one except in single probe. Works excellent, especially when you smoke for a while then crank it up to get it to final temp. I never could guess very well.
My crystal ball says your meat bill is about to elevate.

601 - 620 of 658 Posts