Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

641 - 658 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,016 Posts
That is what she said ...
just before the bed broke.

Quoting an old Canadian mechanic that once worked for my father (RIP Harold).
And he never danced at my wedding - as he often promised (I was a kid back then).
Haha! I've never heard that, but I think I might use it now. Thank you, Harold. :)

The reason I own a grill is to cook steaks. I like them rare but crisp on the outside. I would love to own a "salamander" grill but they are expensive so I use an infra red cranked up at the higher setting to cook my steaks. I do not think the pellet grill is going to do this.
The technique for preparing steaks is completely different from slow smoking. For me, I'm a medium rare type person. Anything beyond medium on a good steak is blasphemous. Therefore, I usually get the grill piping hot around 450-475 degrees, lay on the steak for about 2.5-3 minutes depending on thickness, flip, wait, flip again so the grill grates are perpendicular to my original ones (for that checkerboard grill mark goodness), wait, flip one more time and done. The outside gets a nice crisp with a few blackened chars and the middle is a warm reddish pink. There are different techniques that can be used for different doneness. My dad likes his steaks well done. So I tell him to go somewhere else other than my house to get a steak. Lol!

I have smoked a couple of thick ribeyes before. One hour with hickory at a very low 160-170 then finish on a very hot grill. Came out a little more medium than I'd prefer, but the smoke flavor was definitely present.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I love being recognized for being special.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #643
What I see is PacMan getting ready to eat you!

Today I purchased three 5-6 pound Boston Butts - then had them cut in half. In the past there was too much left over; this should help that.
They will soon be smoked, then frozen and eventually dragged out for later consumption (like when we're camping).

·
Registered
629 Posts
What I see is PacMan getting ready to eat you!

Today I purchased three 5-6 pound Boston Butts - then had them cut in half. In the past there was too much left over; this should help that.
They will soon be smoked, then frozen and eventually dragged out for later consumption (like when we're camping).
PacMan? That's showing our age with that reference.
I'm leaving shortly for another adventure at the Lodge at Chama NM where I shall be consuming fine food prepared by a fantastic chef and drinking adult beverages on the patio in the evenings while enjoying scenic mountain views and watching wildlife. I pre-ordered tonight's meal of marinated Buffalo Short Ribs which are marinated for 2 days prior to the meal.
I shall also be filling the freezer with Grouse and Rainbow Trout for later consumption. I will meet my guide for the week this afternoon and get in a round of sporting clays to tune up my shooting.
This is the retirement life I always dreamed about. :smile:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
I smoked the above mentioned butts yesterday and removed them earlier this AM. They're still resting (before going in the freezer),
with the option of performing a "fit for human consumption" test tonight.

No after pics and the single before pic just shows just raw meat, not purty.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #646
Three of the six above butts had been been declared "fit for human consumption", leftovers in the fridge. About half of the ribs are now history.

As we're headed out camping (next week - with some friends coming along) I did a super clean-up on my baby (Q) Weber. Not wanting to get it dirty I fired up my large Weber last night. Four burners to cook two pork chops (yes I know I could have used only 2, or 3), but as it'd been a long time since it had seen any use - I was afraid to open it up.

Earlier this week I saw a YouTube video (out of Australia) where a family found two snakes hiding in their grill. So just to be safe ... I thoroughly cooked any/all bugs & spiders before tossing on the chops. No snakes were harmed by this experience.

The chops came out yummy!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Cooked up a couple of the Trout I caught last month on vacation and they turned out fantastic.
Served the fish on a bed of Cajun Dirty Rice with Tarter sauce and Remoulade sauce and made the bride a Cobb salad and myself a Greek salad. Slices of Pecan pie finished the meal off just right.
We really enjoy bringing a good portion of our food from the field to our table.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
This thread has not had much activity lately so I thought i would post up something a bit different.
Sand hill Crane season opened here in TX a week ago and I had been scouting an area that a group had been frequenting.
Since I tagged a nice deer and had my venison secured I thought I'd go for a crane this past week and was fortunate that my plan came together and the little brush blind I'd built go me about 45 yards from a group that I was able to harvest one from.
If you ever have a chance to taste a nice medium rare breast seasoned and grilled, well that may just be my favorite wild game. "Ribeye from the sky" as its known is delicious with no gamines, no gristle or fat, just wonderful meat.
We grilled up one side out at camp as a couple guys had never tasted it before and both gave thumbs up on the sample.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
My son and I cooked a nice Valentines dinner for our brides. Sorry no plated pics as everyone wanted to eat as soon as the steaks came off the grill.

For those of you with pellet cookers, here is a pic of some beef jerky that is absolutely amazing and simple to do. I start with a tri-tip roast that my butcher slices on the #4 setting. Marinade 24 hours in a Teriyaki marinade/sauce with red pepper flakes added and then cook 2 1/2-3 hours on the "smoke" setting. Tender and great flavor! Way better than any store bought I have ever tasted.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't have any southern blood in me & am too impatient to smoke. However I do miss the flavor of real charcoal. Sorry kingsford does not count. Ithe only thing I've bought that's associated with "as seen in tv" and did not regret it has been my charbroil big easy srg. I got it on sale 3 years ago & it's out grilled & out lasted all my friends $500-2500 stainless steel behemoths. It runs hot & does not work well as a smoker but I tend to do pork butt, primerib roasts, steaks & lots of burgers. The infrared does a good job penetrating the roasts & cooking evenly. The grilling surface heats up hot & leaves perfect grill marks. I load up the smoke basket always, even for burgers. I was surprised that it does not stuck despite being made of stamped steel with porceline coating. The three negatives of the SRG is that the basket bottom quarter of the basket does not cook at the same rate, the build quality is cheap & again it's too hot for real smoking.

My craziest mega picnics has been a friend's 5yo bday party. He hauled his giant propane stainless grill out to the park in his real truck F150. My SRG was supposed to be backup (for in the back of my prius). Anyways, I had the crazy idea of loading the basket with a prime rib roast at the bottom & hung chicken wings over it. Over that I laid a rope of brats. I then placed the grilling grate over the basket & knocked out two packs of hotdogs. Next I checked on the brats. they were almost done, so I did a round of burger patties. By then the brats & wings were crispy from all the fat drippings & done. Out they come & I loaded a batch of drumsticks. At the very end when most of the crowd were full, I pulled out my medium rare roast. Even though everyone was full they had a bite & loved it. The SRG as the life of the party.

PS. My wife thought the idea of the roast basting in burger fat was nasty but the taste was awesome.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't have any southern blood in me & am too impatient to smoke. However I do miss the flavor of real charcoal. Sorry kingsford does not count. Ithe only thing I've bought that's associated with "as seen in tv" and did not regret it has been my charbroil big easy srg. I got it on sale 3 years ago & it's out grilled & out lasted all my friends $500-2500 stainless steel behemoths. It runs hot & does not work well as a smoker but I tend to do pork butt, primerib roasts, steaks & lots of burgers. The infrared does a good job penetrating the roasts & cooking evenly. The grilling surface heats up hot & leaves perfect grill marks. I load up the smoke basket always, even for burgers. I was surprised that it does not stuck despite being made of stamped steel with porceline coating. The three negatives of the SRG is that the basket bottom quarter of the basket does not cook at the same rate, the build quality is cheap & again it's too hot for real smoking.

My craziest mega picnics has been a friend's 5yo bday party. He hauled his giant propane stainless grill out to the park in his real truck F150. My SRG was supposed to be backup (for in the back of my prius). Anyways, I had the crazy idea of loading the basket with a prime rib roast at the bottom & hung chicken wings over it. Over that I laid a rope of brats. I then placed the grilling grate over the basket & knocked out two packs of hotdogs. Next I checked on the brats. they were almost done, so I did a round of burger patties. By then the brats & wings were crispy from all the fat drippings & done. Out they come & I loaded a batch of drumsticks. At the very end when most of the crowd were full, I pulled out my medium rare roast. Even though everyone was full they had a bite & loved it. The SRG as the life of the party.

PS. My wife thought the idea of the roast basting in burger fat was nasty but the taste was awesome.
Would love to see pictures, need a visual since my mind is not as sharp as it used to be (per my wife).
Sounds delicious though

·
Registered
629 Posts
Decided to give this double crust cast iron pizza a go yesterday as I'm an ex Chicago guy that loves a good deep dish pizza. Flavor was excellent, cooked it on the pellet grill ( a bit darker in color) but not burnt.
Used Syracuse hot Italian sausage, hamburger, pepperoni, onion, canned mushrooms, bell pepper, black and green olives for the filling and Pillsbury thin pizza crust (2) and Ragu sauce along with the Mozzarella cheese.
Struggled a bit getting the crust in the preheated cast iron skillet but overall a solid result.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
smoked a tri-tip last weekend. reverse sear. started on the Pit Barrel Cooker and finished on Weber gasser. slightly more cooked than i'd like, but still juicy and delicious

couple of butts last month

some thighs

·
Registered
629 Posts
That Tri Tip looks delicious!
The pork and chicken looks excellent also.
I have a big event coming up in 2 weeks, plan on getting a couple of prime briskets from Costco to go along with chicken breasts and sausage.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Decided to give this double crust cast iron pizza a go yesterday as I'm an ex Chicago guy that loves a good deep dish pizza. Flavor was excellent, cooked it on the pellet grill ( a bit darker in color) but not burnt.
Used Syracuse hot Italian sausage, hamburger, pepperoni, onion, canned mushrooms, bell pepper, black and green olives for the filling and Pillsbury thin pizza crust (2) and Ragu sauce along with the Mozzarella cheese.
Struggled a bit getting the crust in the preheated cast iron skillet but overall a solid result.
Getting the dough right is an art. We do a hand made dough, my wife uses it right away but I like to let it sit in the fridge for a few days and prove. Then I hand stretch it and lay it out (on a stone but I'd do the same in a pan) and I don't worry too much now about getting it perfectly round. With me it's more "rustico".

We've been doing the dough for nearly ten years now so no where near to old Italian granny level but good in my books. Just started doing my own tomato sauce.

Here's the last few Pizza Bomba I did.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My wife and daughter in law wanted some salmon for their Mother's Day meal this year so I had to comply. I decided to take it up a notch by doing some bacon wrapped scallops and some blackened shrimp also. The salmon and scallops were done on the Traeger and the blackened shrimp were cooked on the side burner of the Genesis in my trusty cast iron skillet.
I made some Fettuccine Alfredo to go with the seafood and we had chocolate cake and Key Lime pie to top things off.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Attachments

641 - 658 of 658 Posts