Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 42K miles on my 2017 Black Eition. Started hearing a grinding noise when taking left turns, sound is coming from passenger side. Happens when I take left turns, on roundabouts leaning left and when making left U-turns. Brake pads and retainer clips are good, tire tread is good. Not sure... tie rods? Wheel bearing? Any ideas? So little mileage, don’t wanna take it into the dealer yet. Suggestions? Troubleshoot techniques?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
510 Posts
It sounds like a right side wheel bearing issue. I’ve also had tires create a similar sound as they wear.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What OLGZR posted previously is probably correct. When you make a left turn, the weight transfers to the right side of the vehicle, putting a load on the right wheel bearing. More than likely that is the culprit. It's possible it could be the right CV joint as well, but that usually makes more of a clicking sound rather than a roaring or rumbling noise. It may be covered under the powertrain warranty, but I'm not certain. If I were you, I'd have it diagnosed at the dealer or reputable shop. If you decide to change it yourself, I'd buy the hub and bearing assembly. Pressing new bearings onto a hub can be very tricky these days, and you'd have to have a hydraulic press to do it. It's very easy to ruin the new bearing if you don't know what you are doing (and even if you do). Edit: It doesn't appear that the front wheel bearing and hub assembly is available. The bearing has to be purchased separately. It also appears that the bearing has to be pressed into the knuckle as well and is held in by a snap-ring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Cochise111 i appreciate your feedback. I did in fact take it to the dealer Tuesday... went for a test drive with the mechanic and produced the sound.

The dealer then went for another test drive after I dropped off and could not mimic the sound - I went there and produced it again.

Dealer held the car overnight and went for another ride, said the sound was produced due to “aggressive driving” or possible strut&mount issue - I clearly believe it’s the wheel bearing.
Not sure what else I can have my dealer do at this point.
Any suggestions or tips??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Cochise111 also - will forsure have dealer do the work on the vehicle. I am mechanically inclined, and do see the bearing must be separated from the hub to be replaced - don’t have a press, but regardless wish they could fix and replace, or give me a better diagnosis!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
@Cochise111 also - will forsure have dealer do the work on the vehicle. I am mechanically inclined, and do see the bearing must be separated from the hub to be replaced - don’t have a press, but regardless wish they could fix and replace, or give me a better diagnosis!
Aggressive driving? Now I've heard everything. The dealer always says that they "cannot duplicate" the issue. There are known strut mount failures, but those noises are completely different from a wheel bearing noise. The strut mounts make a pop and sometimes a grind when the steering wheel is initially turned. The wheel bearings make a continuous roaring/vibrating noise that usually continues until the weight transfer has ended. In time, it will make a continuous noise, but, at first, it only makes the noise with the added weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Cochise111 lol - well long story short.. went in personally to figure out what the next step is instead of lollygaging over the phone about aggressive driving... service advisor and manager insisted I replace the driver side strut??? After they said this I was really concerned, trying to figure out if they were dumb or dumb?? Lol.

I did read about the strut mount failures like you said, makes the most sense to replace the passenger side not the driver side like the service advisors stated.

Anyway, I declined that and asked what is covered under warranty, they indicated the wheel bearing is covered. I then proceeded to ask, if it fixes the problem who pays and if it doesn’t fix who pays. They said they cover it if it fixes the noise and I pay if it doesn’t (which makes sense - sure). I’m not worried about money or cost but I need the problem fixed.

Lastly, the noise I’m hearing just to reiterate is when taking left turns, sharp left turns, left U-turns, or taking roundabouts going left, where the weight transfers to the passenger side, I am hearing extensive almost like grinding, or metal to metal contact in the passenger side wheel well. Sounds like my brake pads are stuck to rotor kind of sound, or when you first take your car out after a long rain when rotors are semi covered in rust. Obviously my pads and rotors are good, no problems just giving an example how it sounds.

Hopefully I’m on the right track - I made the dealer order the wheel bearing and they will install tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I will be contacting Honda in regards to this issue and almost scam like manners the service department is doing.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well, I'd try to do more to help, but I'm afraid that the only way I could is to drive your vehicle. I've been in the automotive field for thirty years off and on. Is the noise pronounced where you could get it on audio and video? I've never had the issue with my RL, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I wonder if there any on the forum who may have experienced the same noise as you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Cochise111
It’s okay - your feedback is plenty.
The vehicle is sitting at the dealer lot now. Will give an update tomorrow after bearing replacement.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Check your dust shield for the brake rotors. They get bent out of whack very easily (typically when un/installing wheel) and can grind on the rotor. Sometimes they seem to only contact when your turn the wheel. Easy fix to bend out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts