Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes only one wheel bearing in the wheel hub.

Wheel bearing was $483.58.

The dust shield has plenty of clearance, it’s not rubbing on the rotor or anything close to it. I have no idea what it could be. Have to take it for a second opinion at another honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Noah few questions
  • Do you see any scoring on the inner surface of the brake rotor? (Not sure on the G2, but the G1's steering angle changed drastically on turns and pushed/pivoted the lower control arm outboard when taking turns.
  • Do you have anything in the trunk or bed that maybe shifting around causing this weird noise?
  • Do you have anything loose in the engine bay that is shifting around?
  • Is anything in the wheelwell that is loose? Do you see any scuff/rub marks in the wheel well around the mudflaps or the bumper?
  • I know you were following this thread (Is it possible to lubricate front strut bearing?), anything similar to this?
  • I presume your tire and wheels are still OEM to the G2?
  • Do you hear such noise when the truck is stationary and you turn the steering wheel to left?
  • I presume they checked lower balljoints and the steering rod ends for compliance? Any confirmation on the bushings of the control arms, front and rear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Howdy @smufguy

•I do not see any scoring or scraping on the inner surface of the brake rotor. I’ve checked the pads and lubed the brake hardware to make sure it wasn’t these. I tend to drive a lot on roundabouts and I’m noticing only when there is a load (shift of vehicle weight from left to right side - the noise appears, again it does sound like a wheel bearing noise but it isn’t the wheel bearing)

•Empty truck bed no weight in the trunk or bed.

•Engine bay is all stock, no aftermarket parts. Nothing hanging, loose, or shifting side to side.

•wheel well is clear of all marks, scuffs, scratches, dings. Looks like it rolled right off the lot when I purchased.

•I am indeed following that strut bearing post, it doesn’t seem to replicate what I am experiencing. I thought about the strut bearing on the driver side giving out due to weight shifting but.. I don’t think that’s it. The strut moves up and down - perhaps if it was a side to side motion I’d dig a bit deeper, but I don’t think so?? Correct me if I’m wrong.

•Wheels and tires are OEM. 42k miles. I’ve rotated the tires all different ways to see if the tire tread had any issue but that is not the case. A side note - I actually ended up purchasing a new set of Honda OEM wheels and winter tires (I live in Michigan) - so even with brand new tread, tires are good so I can eliminate tire issues.

•I only hear the noise when taking left turns, at roundabouts maneuvering left, and typically any left when giving it some acceleration (like I mentioned earlier weight balance/weight load) I’m noticing the noise anywhere from 15mph-24mph on turns.

•Lower ball joints, steering rods, sway bar links, control arms, strut, bushings, inner tie rods - all nine yards passed the honda technicians inspection. He did not notice anything abnormal. He stated he could not replicate the noise. I mentioned earlier in the post I rode with him and produced the noise and he confirmed he heard it, but after leaving the dealer and letting them have the car for a day/two they said they couldn’t replicate it and blamed it on “aggressive driving” and not a “safety issue”

Let me know anything else that comes to mind. I did in fact take it to an independent mechanic who I trust and has worked on plenty of my other vehicles in my business fleet / he confirmed the noise and said he will put it on the lift and him and I will pinpoint the noise. Of course I have to find some time to do so - i also want to head to the 2nd dealer in my area and get another opinion. I have to read the fine line with warranty work on a honda vehicle - I saw in the warranty booklet warranty work must be completed by a honda certified dealer. The only way warrantied work can be reimbursed is if the dealer is closed down, no dealer within 200 miles of and another reason I can’t remember right this second. I will read more about it.

Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The strut bearing, from what I saw on the G1 during its replacement, cannot be greased. The bearing was enclosed and just fit under the upper strut mount.

Sometimes there is a rub or a creek when the spring shifts within the shock. This would be a worse case scenario, while the other would be a faulty strut unit. Anything without being in the front of the vehicle would be just speculation. Hopefully the garage you trust would be able to diagnose it properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you get the old bearing from the dealer when they replaced it? Are you sure they did the correct side?
You're doing everything I would be doing, so I can't really offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow - dealer was able to confirm the noise during test drive, still not able to fix the problem. Now has took the last route and said the noise is a “NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC” HA.
Will scheduale for another appointment with a different Honda dealer soon. Very sad they are unable to come to a diagnosis for this issue.

Thoughts? Opinions? Options?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Thoughts: That is Fu$king hilarious that they put that on paper and sent you on the way.

Curious: What was your reaction when they sat you down and handed this paper back to you?

Additional thought: Take it to a different dealership (same as you suggested)

·
Registered
283 Posts
CV joint Maybe? Would be odd for that low mileage, but not unheard of. See if the boot and inside tire rim has old grease and grim etc.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts