Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, two week old RL BE. I noticed that i get a weird grinding sound coming from the right front wheel when turning left. I took it to the dealer and there was a guard rubbing that they fixed but the sound is still there. It doesn't happen going straight or turning right. Anyone else getting a similar sound? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Like a number of us have experienced, check the front wheels for a stone or pebble lodged between the brake caliper and the rotor. We've experienced a chattering/grinding sound. There's a thread on this in the problems sub-category.

When I took my truck to the dealer to have it checked out, I got an explanation from the service manager that this was Not an Uncommon event, with Honda's caliper housing design; happens on other Hondas, as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not a rock, i had one of those this morning and it sounds completely different, like a rock in a tin can. fell out on the highway i suppose.

this is more of a grinding sound, and still constant when turning left at low speed and in straight acceleration from low speed.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
its not a rock, i had one of those this morning and it sounds completely different, like a rock in a tin can. fell out on the highway i suppose.

this is more of a grinding sound, and still constant when turning left at low speed and in straight acceleration from low speed.
that sounds like a CV joint, or whatever they call them now.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
So, two week old RL BE. I noticed that i get a weird grinding sound coming from the right front wheel when turning left. I took it to the dealer and there was a guard rubbing that they fixed but the sound is still there. It doesn't happen going straight or turning right. Anyone else getting a similar sound? Any ideas?
This eliminates the hypothesis of items being lodged in the calipers. :nerd:

This... add a whole new investigating. :nerd: ... and it wasn't mentioned previously for diagnoses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill try to make a video. i have a shure mic for my vlogging camera that should be able to pick up the sound clearly. I also thing its the joint but i want a second opinion before i revisit the dealership.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
W....T......freak. Do you feel anything in the steering wheel? And looking in the wheel well do you see any obvious tire rubbing?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Definitely get this into the Honda service dept at your dealer for evaluation. Unilateral grinding from one wheel while turning can be a bad wheel bearing but your truck is fairly low miles so I don't suspect that as a primary possibility. I am more concerned that some component in your front suspension is loose and shifting when you accelerate or turn left. This is not normal and should be fixed soon as a sound like that is typically going to be associated with some sort of accelerated wear on a component.

Just my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted.

One last thing... are your lug nuts all tightened on the right front tire??

Paul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a RL BE with 8500km for 5 month. Then I notice a knocking sound just before 8500km. It happen every time when I turn all the way to the left, then turn back to the right. If I keep turn left and right, the sound will continue. I let Honda tech take a look 2 days before, but they said that sound is how they build with the RL.

I think this is not normal for a new car, event for an old car, and my friend work as ICBC(BC's insurance company) tech said is not normal too.

Does anyone has this sound too? I been booked for an other appointment with Honda next week Monday to let them check again. (Different dealer)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts