Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum today! I love my 2011 Ridgeline which I bought new and have had for nearly 4 years. It's pretty much been a city truck all this time. Last weekend I took it to the beach for the first time and whenever I got into deeper sand, I heard a grinding sound underneath the left side of the truck for 2-3 seconds, then it would go away. It happened probably 4-5 times. At first I thought maybe it was the VTM-4 kicking in but I can't believe the system would "grind" intermittently like this. It's got to be something wrong with the VTM-4, wheel bearing, or steering. On the road I have not had any problems whatsoever. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Could be VSA activating. Next time you go to the beach, turn off the VSA and see if the noise stops. VSA acts like traction control applying brakes and reducing power from the engine. You should be getting a light on the dash if this is actually happening.

Also experiment with the VTM-4 lock. Read up on how this operates before doing it. Use this only at low speed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
... and I'm going to guess from your question that you may not be aware of the following. Lots of threads/posts here addressing it if you want to search/browse for more, but in a nutshell:

If you deflate your tires for improved traction in sand (as many enthusiasts do), you will be unhappy to know that you can NOT deactivate your VSA (via VSA switch) if your tires are underinflated, as determined by your TPMS.
So, if your TPMS light is on (which it will be if you deflate your tires), you cannot turn off VSA.... which sort of defeats the purpose of the improved traction from 'flatter' tires.

BUT, you'll find you can work around this problem if you are determined. Find threads on here that tell you which relay (or fuse?) to remove to deactivate VSA, even when you've deflated your tires. Have fun out there!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
On cold tires I have found out that anything below 26 psi will trigger the tire light. 06 ridgeline. Last weekend on warm tires I went down to 28 and in the morning the tps light was on. Didn't check my pressure though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts