Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Definition (from Wikipedia) :

"Ride height (also called ground clearance or simply clearance) is the amount of space between the base of an automobile tire and the lowest point (typically the axle); or, more properly, to the shortest distance between a flat, level surface, and the lowest part of a vehicle other than those parts designed to contact the ground (such as tires, tracks, skis, etc.). Ground clearance is measured with standard vehicle equipment, and for cars, is usually given with no cargo or passengers."

The Claim (from Honda):

Code:
Ground Clearance

Clearance	2017 Ridgeline AWD	2017 Ridgeline 2WD	   
Ground clearance (in)	7.9	7.3	   
Approach angle (deg)	20.1 	19.2 	   
Breakover angle (deg)	19.6 	18.5 	   
Departure angle (deg)	22.1 	21.4
The Reality (from my RTL-T AWD):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Yep, I mentioned this low clearance point on the G2 RL many months ago in another thread. It's common for automakers to report ground clearance for the center area of the undercarriage and ignore the lower-hanging control arms near the wheels. Subaru and other SUV makers do the same, the logic being that you're less likely to get hung up by obstacles or uneven ground near the wheels than under the center area of the vehicle. But it's still something you have to consider if you ever have to drive on deeply-rutted unpaved roads where those control arms can take a beating. And if you live in an area where rocks fall off nearby slopes onto paved roads, you can catch a rock with a control arm even though you have enough ground clearance to miss it everywhere else under your truck.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You're measuring it wrong. While you bring up a valid point it's not the industry standard.

Look at the H1 Hummer, (not the Chevy garbage), it has Portal axles much like a Mercedes Unimog. You want to talk about serious ground clearance.

If you've ever spent any time 4 wheeling on 2 track trails you will see that there are two ruts and then high ground which is in the middle. Anything you can do to increase center ground clearance is a plus.

Reactions: chrisnack

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
If you've ever spent any time 4 wheeling on 2 track trails you will see that there are two ruts and then high ground which is in the middle. Anything you can do to increase center ground clearance is a plus.
Nice...A lift kit will gain you a bit and tires will get you a bit more. Sad to say the RL will not let you do much more to it. Just put that bagged mulch in the box with the flowers and forget about it and buy a second truck or side by side like I did that can handle those little one foot ruts on trails. Depends on how often you go wheelin and how much you what to damage, its not made for going off road. If you do pic your lines carefully, like Mr Black says.

·
Registered
928 Posts
As northern and I have spoken now and in the past, the Ridgeline will always be handicapped. Doesn't mean it can't plow some snow and go down some dirt roads though.

I tend to gravitate towards Off Road machines though.

This was my first car and wheeled all over the Northwest for 15 years until I switched over to the smaller more nimble and cheaper to operate Samurai.

Reactions: northernlights

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that verifies what I've always known, which is absolutely nothing about off-roading :). Actually the RL's clearance of 7.9" isn't that bad. Chevy 4X4 pickups in the 1970's only had 7.1".

Source (PDF Doc. See PDF page 25 or doc page 22):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiC_fyAsMPSAhWKwVQKHR5tDHsQFggxMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gmheritagecenter.com%2Fdocs%2Fgm-heritage-archive%2Fvehicle-information-kits%2FChevrolet-Trucks%2F1976-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH7ASlTV9rGUEzbmlPrhu9QSrYprA&bvm=bv.148747831,d.cGw&cad=rja

My folks had one, and we used to go all over the logging and forest roads of western Montana, and never had a problem.

Reactions: Mr. Black

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're measuring it wrong. While you bring up a valid point it's not the industry standard.

Look at the H1 Hummer, (not the Chevy garbage), it has Portal axles much like a Mercedes Unimog. You want to talk about serious ground clearance.

No joking on the AM General Hummers.....I was following one the other day, and the center ground clearance on those is just stupid! I think you could drive a slammed Civic right between the wheels! I would not challenge the off-road abilities of one of those. :wink:

But on the flip side, I'm sure it's road manners are atrocious, and it must be like driving out of a cave, the glass & sight lines are horrendous. Probably why you don't see many cruising the streets. :surprise:

·
Registered
784 Posts
"Its 7.9 inches of ground clearance is measured at a high point, and its control-arm suspension drops closer to the ground near the wheels."
Yeah, and it gets worse from there... the ground clearance under the tires is only 0.0". :grin:

Reactions: .:Reflex
1 - 9 of 9 Posts