Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here remove the front air dam/ wind deflector that is in front of the front tires. I think these are for better aerodynamics and seem to be on 2012 and later Ridgelines. They are getting hung up on the trails. It's the only thing that is getting hung up underneath.

Also can you install a bull bar with the Burtman skid plate?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone here remove the front air dam/ wind deflector that is in front of the front tires. I think these are for better aerodynamics and seem to be on 2012 and later Ridgelines. They are getting hung up on the trails. It's the only thing that is getting hung up underneath.

Also can you install a bull bar with the Burtman skid plate?
You can install a bull bar with front skid plates. Check out Burtman’s website for further info. As far as the front air dam, I am not sure, but seems like you could remove it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It does help in cooling, but I have had mine off for probably a year now with no issues. I had mine stitched up with so much zipties it did not have much plastic left. But the pieces that are directly in front of your tires is the whole fender liner. I wouldnt cut those off, the fender liner would be loose and flappy. Or you could cut a piece of flatter plastic out and pop rivet it to it to get rid of the bump part.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,915 Posts
It does help in cooling, but I have had mine off for probably a year now with no issues. I had mine stitched up with so much zipties it did not have much plastic left. But the pieces that are directly in front of your tires is the whole fender liner. I wouldnt cut those off, the fender liner would be loose and flappy. Or you could cut a piece of flatter plastic out and pop rivet it to it to get rid of the bump part.
He has a 2012. There are wind deflectors on the late GenI's that clean up the undercarriage aerodynamics. They are also the first point of contact in off roading manuevers.

Your 06 doesn't have em.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,493 Posts
The ones I've seen on 2012-2014 RLs seam to be screwed in with bolts that should be easy to remove. I do know that Honda quietly changed the newly designed air deflectors at some point in 2012 which may also mean they changed how they are attached to the RL.

2009-2011 air deflector in front of tires (this could be the same for 2006-2008 but I'm not able to confirm that)
Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Car

Early 2012 air deflector in front of tires

Latter 2012-2014 air deflector in front of tires

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
... I can't see how they would improve mpg.
Those air deflectors and the "friction reduction measures in the engine," as Honda refers to it, add to greater highway MPG. EPA reported an increase of 1 MPG in all categories with those 2012 improvements but ROC members have reported upwards of 24+ MPG while EPA rated the 2006-2009 as having only 20 MPG highway--my 2009 has not done much better than 22. So if that little bit of highway MPG will not help you, I would get rid of it as well and go enjoy Mother Nature.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,915 Posts
I think they will be going as soon as I have a moment to take them off. I can't see how they would improve mpg.
Aerodynamics isn't always intuitive. There is often a lot of drag created on the underside of a vehicle. I personally am pretty confident that Honda made these updates for a reason. That reason was to reduce drag particularly at highway speeds.

How well do these "strakes" work? My 14 will do an honest 24-25 Mpg on the highway (under 65, mostly level, low traffic). My 06 never made 20mpg in the 10years that I owned it. Honda made a number of upgrades to the GenI that helped it achieve better highway mileage. The "strakes" are one of those upgrades.

That said if they are a constant source of contact when you off road and you are frequently off roading then removing them isn't going to negatively impact anything except your gas mileage at higher speeds.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
Nice Pics @McChizzle

It'll take me a month or more to get my part down from the rafters and source the clips to reattach it, it's on my list, just not my short list of things to do. I honestly don't remember what it looks like.

Anyone got a good source of clips for the under body plastic, Mine's been removed for 5 years (October '13) the entire thing.

Reactions: McChizzle

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,705 Posts
Aerodynamics isn't always intuitive. There is often a lot of drag created on the underside of a vehicle. I personally am pretty confident that Honda made these updates for a reason. That reason was to reduce drag particularly at highway speeds.

How well do these "strakes" work? My 14 will do an honest 24-25 Mpg on the highway (under 65, mostly level, low traffic). My 06 never made 20mpg in the 10years that I owned it. Honda made a number of upgrades to the GenI that helped it achieve better highway mileage. The "strakes" are one of those upgrades.

That said if they are a constant source of contact when you off road and you are frequently off roading then removing them isn't going to negatively impact anything except your gas mileage at higher speeds.
Dont forget that most of that improvement has to with the engine management tuning from the '12 to '14 year models.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Dont forget that most of that improvement has to with the engine management tuning from the '12 to '14 year models.
"...engine management tuning...," I've never read that anywhere from Honda. Honda's press report states, "Upgrades on all models for 2012 include a refreshed grille design, aerodynamic improvements, friction reduction measures in the engine and a new EPA fuel rating..." That friction reduction in the engine is believed to be the new low-resistance cylinder "O rings," but that's a guess. I've never found anything from Honda saying anything about different tuning. If you have such evidence I would love to be directed to it.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,705 Posts
"...engine management tuning...," I've never read that anywhere from Honda. Honda's press report states, "Upgrades on all models for 2012 include a refreshed grille design, aerodynamic improvements, friction reduction measures in the engine and a new EPA fuel rating..." That friction reduction in the engine is believed to be the new low-resistance cylinder "O rings," but that's a guess. I've never found anything from Honda saying anything about different tuning. If you have such evidence I would love to be directed to it.
The G1 ('06-'08, '09-'11, '12-'14) had three different revisions to the ECM; A65, A86, and A94.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just back from rough-roading, deactivated cross-ditched, steep rock “roads”. Clearance, traction (VTM-4 works great) approach/departure angle and durability all paramount. I lost a little mpg going to the 245/70 Toyo Open Country AT/2 tires to get that extra 1/2”, some more for that 2” lift, and now get about 22 Hwy. Lift and tires really help approach angle. On the worst cross-ditches my trailer hitch will drag first.

Attachments

Reactions: smufguy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts