Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
Many of the "real truck bros" make the Ridgeline out to be far less capable than it is. A few Ridgeline aficionados might make it out to be a little more capable than it is.

The Ridgeline will do just fine on most offroad trails, forest service roads, fire roads, etc., as long as you pay attention and don't do anything stupid. Learn how to pick your path properly.

Where the Ridgeline might get into trouble is when ruts are very deep and you can't straddle them, when boulders are numerous, greater than 8" diameter and you can't avoid them, running the AWD system hard on steep inclines or slippery slopes that can overheat the clutches, etc. For most stuff, it'll just fine given that the driver knows what they are doing.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
We've got several 4x4 2500 HD pickups at work. There is ~7" of clearance under their rear differentials.

On the plus side, you need running boards to climb up into the cabs! :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
Just put a dirt bike on a hitch carrier. It'll go far more places, and much faster, than any rigged-out 4x4.

Dirt bike too intimidating? You can get a little Honda Trail 125 that will still go far more places than any rigged-out 4x4, and it has a semi-automatic transmission! Very easy to ride!

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
And what about these now?
Bill
Not sure about the e-bikes. With the Trail 125, you can go 130 miles* or so before you need to put another gallon of gas in the tank. If they've built the new one anything like the old 90/110 trail bikes (they look like clones), you can put them through Hades and back and they'll just keep on running. Just don't know if the e-bikes would put up with the same kind of abuse.

* With the old 90/110 bikes, we'd get around 140-150 mpg. According to Fuelly, these newer 110cc bikes are getting about 99mpg and have a 1.4-gallon fuel tank.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
I should add that I come from the sports car crowd so I'm familiar with

If the Pilot is any indication, don't hold your breath. Again, it's trim packs, not any more capability.
The 2023 Pilot TrailSport package does add functionality, such as a factory lift, real skidplates, recovery hooks, A/T tires, offroad mode(s), full-size spare and 360° terrain cameras.
If you don't need a pickup, you might look at that Pilot option, or wait for the next-gen Ridgeline to get it.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts

RL is good in snow up to about 8" (I'm in Maine, have driven in snow for decades). It's great on gravel roads. Off-road, it's a "mistake"
Perhaps with the stock tires. With proper winter tires, you should easily go 12" or more.

Heck, my little Accord coupe would go through nine inches of snow with Altimax Arctic tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts