Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ROC,

I am new to trucks, I love Hondas and have had many but this is my first truck. When I put it in reverse and start to give it gas it seems to growl... Almost as if there is something slipping and grabbing very quickly until I get it moving. As long as I'm moving it makes no noise and drives normally, but if I put a strain on it in reverse (like backing up a hill or just starting out in reverse) it makes this low growl. Is this normal? Is it a truck thing because they are so heavy? I don't know. My buddy has a '07 dodge dakota that does something similar but his kind of shudders like its trying to get a grip before it catches. Mine doesn't shudder it just growls until it gets going. Like an older person getting up... :act029: It does not make the noise in drive or at any other time. Just in reverse. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can you tell where the sound is coming from? Have you replaced the VTM-4 fluid yet?

It sounds like clutch chatter from the VTM-4 system. Change the fluid if you haven't already. If that resolves the problem, great. If not, at least you have clean fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had that replaced. I was unaware that it had fluid that needed be changed. About how much do you suppose that would cost and is it something I could do myself?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
You should be able to get a gallon of VTM-4 fluid for about $25, depending on what your dealer charges. It is an easy change. Remove the top fill plug first, then remove the bottom drain plug. After fully draining, a refill take about 3 qts from the gallon jug. I use a hand pump that fits the gallon jug. I save the remainder and after several changes, have enough left over for another.

Keep your pump and tubing dedicated to the VTM-4 fluid. It does not like to be contaminated.

The hardest thing to do will be loosening the fill and drain bolts if the fluid has never been changed. In normal service, the VTM-4 fluid should be changed at 15k miles, then every 30k thereafter. That will be the schedule the MM will produce, more or less.

Here's a thread with pics that covers the A136 service.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20628

Matter of fact, if you haven't done a complete fluid and filter change to establish your maintenance baseline, I suggest you do so. Unless you know the maintenance history.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years. The other fluids and filters per the MM in normal usage. If you tow a lot, halve the intervals. I like to do more frequent transmission fluid changes. And I would also toss a power steering fluid change and a coolant change in there by 60-75k miles or so.

Now whether or not that fixes your growl, I have no idea. But at least you will have your maintenance baseline established. Then you can follow the MM from that point forward.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
854 Posts
Hey ROC,

I am new to trucks, I love Hondas and have had many but this is my first truck. When I put it in reverse and start to give it gas it seems to growl... Almost as if there is something slipping and grabbing very quickly until I get it moving. As long as I'm moving it makes no noise and drives normally, but if I put a strain on it in reverse (like backing up a hill or just starting out in reverse) it makes this low growl. Is this normal? Is it a truck thing because they are so heavy? I don't know. My buddy has a '07 dodge dakota that does something similar but his kind of shudders like its trying to get a grip before it catches. Mine doesn't shudder it just growls until it gets going. Like an older person getting up... :act029: It does not make the noise in drive or at any other time. Just in reverse. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
One other thing to check... There is metal strap that goes around the front end of the propeller shaft (long drive shaft that connects to rear differential). This strap is located at the front of the drive shaft (by the transfer assembly).

This strap could be malformed by running over something, etc.. If it is just barely touching the drive shaft, it could make this noise.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
I'd suggest the VTM-4 fluid as well. Sounds like you really need to get into your owner's manual and see the recommended fluid change schedule. Fresh fluids are vital in these trucks to keep them going for a long time. Does this mean you've never changed the transmission fluid or front transfer case gear oil? How about the power steering fluid, brake fluid and coolant?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just recently purchased the truck, but the guy I bought it from said he did all the scheduled maintenances and used full synthetic oil every 3k

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
Well I just recently purchased the truck, but the guy I bought it from said he did all the scheduled maintenances and used full synthetic oil every 3k
That's all well and good that he said it, but did he offer any proof? Maintenance log? Reciepts? If yes, then that's awesome. Read the maintenance schedule and continue maintaining it as usual with the recommended Honda fluids and whatnot. If no, then I would recommend doing full fluid changes just so you have a maintenance baseline. Having a dealership do these for you would get pretty pricey, but it is all very easy to do on your own. You can use any oil, oil filter and gear lube you want. For everything else, I would stick with the Honda branded fluids. For some, there are no real substitutes and for others, the Honda fluids are designed to work with your vehicle. This is one of the easiest vehicles to maintain I've ever owned. Most everything can be done with simple hand tools with the truck sitting on the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.