58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
From what I have been reading, a legitimate claim is that after installing the AISB your truck will begin to look like a Nissan GT-R and after several days will in fact be a GT-R. True story the internet doesn't lie.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually figured if I put in enough gimmicks it'd turn into a crotch rocket!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Another wallet-lifter, and they just keep comin'!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
My understanding is when these things first came out, they were using stock bilge vent fans and selling them as superchargers.

While it looks like they've changed the design, you'd get more horsepower running a hose from your A/C vent to your intake. :act035:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The funny thing is that my old 80's Lotus esprit included a high altitude option that was an electric blower inline with the intake. At sea level where I live, it did nothing, wonder if these add-on electric blowers do anything for high altitude guys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The funny thing is that my old 80's Lotus esprit included a high altitude option that was an electric blower inline with the intake. At sea level where I live, it did nothing, wonder if these add-on electric blowers do anything for high altitude guys.
funny you say that I live in Denver so maybe it might do something? Especially when I'm heading to the mountains to ride in the next couple months.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,137 Posts
I'm not a fan of gadgets like these, but makes you think that if Lotus puts one in a vehicle. It can't be complete junk or can it?
Simple advertisement deal? The company who makes these things probably paid Lotus some cash for them to say they like using them in their vehicles. IMHO, it's nothing but a glorified POS. Putting something in the intake tubing that will not only disrupt, but also block airflow in general doesn't jive very well with me.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
Ian, yes I was pretty surprised to see it in the esprit. Had to be some stupid marketing upgrade option crap.
It's very hard to tell what is factual information anymore. Just like all these automotive shows that push the E3 Diamondfire spark plugs. Sure, they say they can deliver better performance and fuel economy over a typical copper-core spark plug, but that really varies depending on engine design. I've attempted changing spark plugs in hopes of gaining better performance when I was younger. As much as I thought it helped, it was really just the difference between plugs that had 50k miles on them and new plugs. These TV shows are paid to market a product and people buy them because they see them on there.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
Couldn't a product like this work in theory? Maybe not a fan, but a small electric powered blower inline with the intake tube. Even if it only generates 1-2psi it could gain 15-20hp.
I remember reading stories of some people installing an electric hair dryer in line with their intake tubing and calling it an "electric turbo." It was a completely asinine idea brought about by people who didn't understand the principles of forced induction. The stock intake on the RL can actually outflow what is able to be drawn into the engine by the throttle body. You can shove as much air as you want to into the engine, but it still needs to come out. This is why a turbocharger accelerates the exhaust gasses and acts like a high-powered pump. It takes those gasses out quickly and throws a bunch of air back into the engine. So, to answer your question, in theory, putting more air into the engine is only a small part of the equation to make more power. Doing only that basically does nothing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
And on top of the above, intake air charges rely on velocity and clean air flow. A prop inline that is chopping up the air cannot produce a clean flow and would cause more disruption than anything.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can shove as much air as you want to into the engine, but it still needs to come out. This is why a turbocharger accelerates the exhaust gasses and acts like a high-powered pump. It takes those gasses out quickly and throws a bunch of air back into the engine.
So by your logic superchargers are a scam and don't work b/c they don't have the magic spinny exaust turbine like a turbo.:act060:

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
So by your logic superchargers are a scam and don't work b/c they don't have the magic spinny exaust turbine like a turbo.:act060:
No, superchargers work because they create several times more boost than any electric fan could and beyond that, they are usually coupled with larger fuel injectors, a completely retuned ECU and a larger diameter exhaust to move that air out of the engine. I will somewhat go along with you in that, in theory, simply pushing more air into an engine could create more power, but that's only one part of the equation. If you'd like to try something like adding a small electrical fan to the intake to see if it would add more power, be my guest. I think most would say you're wasting your time and money, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.