Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we need to drive up to LLBean in Maine this weekend, and at 45MPG I could be there and back using just 4.5 gallons, or I could use up 10 gallons of gas. So today I find myself hoping that it does snow tonight so that I have an excuse to use 10 gallons. I am keeping my eye on the weather report, watching for a little idea on the weather, looking to push that cold weather down and the clouds up.

Do you look for ways to drive your Ridgeline even when you know you shouldn't? Do you look for errands to run that you just don't need to run? Do you just go out and sit in your car and listen to the radio when you have a very expensive stereo system in your house? Do you find ways to make your Ridgeline the only logical vehicle to drive even when it isn't?

I can say I have been guilty of these, and I am sure there are many more. My wife tries to protect me from myself. When I sort of mention driving my Ridgeline, she was like you want to drive your truck up to Maine. Of course I said probably not, but she knew better. Maybe when I am away from my truck for a little while for winter vacations it will wear off but I know when I was out on my cruise I kept thinking "I hope my truck is doing okay at the port of Miami".

·
Registered
964 Posts
My husband wants us to take the Ridgeline more than not. Right now I'm using the excuse that we need to not use the Accord so much since we are trading it for a Civic Hybrid.

Not sure what excuse we'll use when we get the Hybrid....

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Default if we go anywhere together is to take the Ridge. My jeep only gets driven to get me to and from work, a twelve mile round trip, three days a week. At least I'm keeping the miles low.

We love the ride, even if it's just running errands.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Our default is taking the Ridge - my excuses (so far):

1) The Subaru has 139K on it - and we want to keep the mileage low.

2) The Ridge is safer

3) The boys love to ride in the Ridge

4) The Ridge has more gas in it (my wife always seems to be riding on fumes in her 'Ru)

5) Ok, so I AM a control freak.

6) We haven't ridden in the Ridge in the last 1/2 hour...

7) We can't all fit in the Miata.

8) Well, we need the trunk space for the wet gear.

9) Well, we need the trunk to keep the dry stuff dry, and the bed of the truck to dry out the wet stuff.

---
I am sure my wife could fill up the forum with all the other lame excuses I have for why we always take my truck.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kellcut said:
Not sure what excuse we'll use when we get the Hybrid....
"If we can reduce the amount of discharge cycles the batteries will last longer..its ok Hon, I don't mind sacrificing my Ridge for our personal convenience."
((Then that battery warranty you sold her on when you were buying the Hybrid - now is the time to reverse sell))

The old standby:
"I might need to stop by Home Depot."
"For what?"
"Well I've had this uncanny urge to redo the countertops but we're always in the car when I remember that..."

They'll usually stop asking questions about there as they figure not to mess with a good thing. But it's easier to forget later and ask for an apology then it is to argue about who's ride to take in the first place :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
We always take the Ridge...my Dakota (don't hate there was no RL back then)...my Dakota is red and who in their right minds would...oops sorry

L

·
0 Posts
Ridgena and I are joined at the hip!!
Besides, she would be offended if I drive the Exploder or Sunfire. ( even though I can't even tell you the last time I rode or drove either one. Heck I didn't touch my motorcycle this summer. :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Driving the Ridge is the perpetual plan B to get my 2yr old to nap. I hope it doesn't make me a bad dad but I am tired of fighting the fight of getting her to nap. She is usually asleep in less than a 5 minute drive. Downside; it's killer on gas mileage since I leave the truck idling for temp. control while she's sleeping. Upside; she is napping!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Man, our 2003 Dodge Cummins was the PERFECT vehicle to put kids (and wives) to sleep - just enough rumble and shake to the vehicle, no matter what the speed. I am glad I don't have it for just that reason - I'd bring the boys home from school, they'd fall asleep in the truck (they got so used to being lulled to sleep that they just kept the habit).

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm in the same dilema with a road trip to Colorado in two weeks. The family car is our Odyessy. But I do have concerns with the weather. With a 12 hour drive each way, the Ody has already proven itself for long road trips, mainly because of the navi (don't have in my RL) and the enterainment system ( vs. a portable for thr RL).

I am thinking (maybe rationalizing) that the 4WD is the reason we should take my RL (in case of snow). It's made the trip once before to help move our friends, and the gas mileage was decent, even while towing.

I haven't run it by the wife yet because she only committed yesterday to the trip. So I will have to see if it is worth discussing. The saving grace for taking the RL will be the portable DVD player ($200 - Walmart) with two 7" screens for the kids.

So I'll keep ya posted !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts