Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had alot of rain lately and when driving at highway speeds I have noticed a gurling/bubbling sound coming from the passenger front door area. I have had the RL for almost a year, and I have never noticed this before, even after going through the automatic car wash. The noise subsides/goes away when I slow down and stop. I have opened the passenger door and checked it and the surrounding area out, and I can find no sign of water anywhere? Has anyone else had this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you check under the floor mat?

You might have the dreaded "water leak" on the passenger side.

Pull up the rubber floor matt and press into the carpet with a blue paper towel and see if you have any dampness.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey weatherman, I have the same sounds from the same area. I had a water leak that was fixed on the drivers side and have yet to get any water on the passenger side. I've always concluded it was water running down the proper draining channels. It may be pooling somewhere in A-pillar area before draining. Or it maybe water run off down into the wiper channel and out. In any event, check under your mats but I'm willing to bet it's not an inside noise but rather some draining in the body. I'm not worried about it as it's done this for as long as I can remember and I can't seem to find any damaging results... :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out to the truck and checked the carpet, etc. on the passenger side and it was dry as a bone, thank goodness. Must have been water running through the appropriate channels on the outside. The wierd thing is that I have never noticed it until recently. :confused: Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
8,121 Posts
I just went out to the truck and checked the carpet, etc. on the passenger side and it was dry as a bone, thank goodness. Must have been water running through the appropriate channels on the outside. The wierd thing is that I have never noticed it until recently. :confused: Thanks for the input.
I have the same noises from both sides when driving in the rain and have not experienced any leaks (Knock on wood) yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got the same thing like everyone else. Heavy rain + highway speed = gurgle. I bet there's a vacuum created at high speed that keeps it from flowing freely.

·
Registered
355 Posts
'07 Ridge and same sound freaked me out in a rain storm earlier this year. The truck is completely dry. Must be a wierd set of circumstances that create the gurgling sound. I am no longer concerned.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow. I have had my RL for 3 months and for the first time yesterday driving in the rain/freezing rain from MA to CT I heard the same thing. Sounded like a little gurgling stream. I concluded that it was the water draining. Good to know I am not alone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Folks!

I have something similar going on with my Ridge (2007 RTL). Just this past week I noticed the gurgling/bubbling sound (I have 33k miles). I hear the sound when I make a sweeping left turn, such as a highway ramp, with the sound coming from the left front dash and passenger door. I also get sort of a "sizzling" sound, kind of a cross between water steaming off of a hot surface and paper sheets sliding on top of each other. The sounds seem to go one way; that is, only on the sweeping left turns, not on similar right turns, where I would expect pooled water to run back the same way.

I am fairly certain this is rain water related, but since the sounds have just started, I am not certain if it would also occur after a car wash. Lastly, it appears to not penetrate the inside, as I have repeatedly checked for any dampness and I'm happy to report I have found none.

I am due for an oil change in a few weeks, so I will report the issue to the dealer at that time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My previous truck ('98 Olds Bravada) had this "gurgling" sound for as long as I can remember. My friend who is a tech (Audi) told me that although it sounds like sitting rainwater, this sound is often the result of an air pocket in the cooling system. To fix it, the system needs to be bled. Although it is usually not detrimental to the system, it is annoying. It might be worth looking into this scenario....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted this on another similar post:

OK, small update:

I spoke to the Honda Service Manager. He feels confident from my verbal description that this is a clogged A/C condensate drain. Fairly simple service and should cost $49. This not a warranty issue, as the clogs come from debris or rodents nesting. He related a story about someone who waited 2 months to get the "water noises" investigated and by then the water had overflowed into the PCM module and resulted in a $1500 repair that was not under the warranty.

I have a service appointment in a few days. I will report back at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
does anyone know if clearing the a/c condensation drain is a "diy" job?,it would save me a trip to the dealership and a few $$....thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had this "gurgling" sound in a brand new Toyota Cressida (in 1989). I drove it like this until 1997 when I moved to Houston. In Houston, everyone drove 80MPH in I 10 West, so did I. My coolant all got pumped out, the engine temp went way up and I had to add water. Each time I went 80 this happened. Took it to dealer and it was a bad head gasket letting in exhaust to the cooling system which would push the coolant out at high speeds. It was bad from new but had to run 80 to "pressurize" the cooling system.

I sure hope this "gurgling" isn't a bad head gasket!

froggy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like the issue has been corrected.

The dealer worked on the problem, clearing the condensate drain. However, since only a small amount of liquid "drained", and the blockage was minimal, and the noise continued, they took a deeper look. After a whole day of work, the best they could figure was the evaporator on the A/C was clogged. They cleaned this out, and all seemed well. The dealer called and requested if they could keep the RL for another day to "make certain". After day number 2, the dealer was confident the evaporator clog was the problem, and that all was fixed. Along the way, the tech discovered that the carpeting had signs of mildew and recommended that they be replaced. All under warranty. The only hitch was that they needed to order the carpets, and it would take a few days. Since the dealer was nearby, I retrieved my RL and drove it while waiting for the carpet. I am happy to report that all is back to normal. I picked the RL up last night, with the new carpets.

All in all, I am happy this turned out well and I am quite satisfied with the way the dealer handled things. It feels so good to be back in the Ridge, after "borrowing" my son's Explorer Sport Trac (2001). :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have had the "gurgling" sound when it was raining for as long as I have had the RL. It was there before the leak showed up and it was there afterwards. I concluded long ago that it was due to the pressure differentials on the windshield area caused by the airflow. It must create a vacuum in the drain area that holds some of the water and creates the sound. As soon as the rain stops or the speed drops to a certain level, the noise stops. It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the gurgling noise for quit a while during a rain and after a rain until the truck dried up. I found that I had a lot of debris collected behind the right front mud flap. Cleaned it up 2 days ago and it is raining today and I am not hearing the gurgling noise so far. I have a 2006 RTS. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have had the gurgling noise for quit a while during a rain and after a rain until the truck dried up. I found that I had a lot of debris collected behind the right front mud flap. Cleaned it up 2 days ago and it is raining today and I am not hearing the gurgling noise so far. I have a 2006 RTS. Hope this helps.
Thanks for reporting this issue and how it was resolved. Should help the next RL owner.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Ok...I too have a gurgling/bubbling sound. This is occurs on the drivers side of the center console. Best way to describe it is if you placed a little water in your mouth, puckered up as to whistle, but inhaled...THAT sort bubble/gurgle.

I don’t think its the water issue described above as it started a while ago while we were in a drought. It occurs while parked or while driving. At high speed, or low speed. AC on or off. But is completely random when it occurs (i.e. intermittent), and this randomness has made it a pain in my butt to trace.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
So I noticed it the other day with the car parked. Attached is a video (hopefully) of the sound

Again, this noise occurs whether the engine is running and its in park, or in drive. Kind of annoying...

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
You Got Me @Elkhunter we've had a lot of rain this season so maybe related, and my only other thought is related to HVAC? Are you finding any carpet "wet/damp" or anything else?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts