Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a 2010. Drove 2 1/2 hours from the dealership. Next day just a short drive. Then on the third day, get in to go to work, and the needles for the gauges just quiver. Boosted truck and drove an hour to work. Shut off and then restarted. Checked again an hour later, started again. Go to leave work, and same thing, gauges quiver, and had to boost.
Did some reading here.
Went the next morning to the local mechanic, he did a load test on the battery. He said battery passed and is good, that something else is drawing power.
Dealership told me to bring it in for them to check it, but they are 2 1/2 hours away.
Should I check starter and relay or buy a new battery first? Or just take it straight back to dealership to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,728 Posts
Dang, I thought this was gonna be a forced-induction saga :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sorry, no guesses on your battery (or whatever) issue .... good luck and welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Measure the parasitic drain next to see how much current draw there is when parked. A simple meter and removing the battery terminal is all that's needed. You could also disconnect the battery for a couple days and then reconnect and start. If it doesn't start you know it's the battery not holding a charge.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Battery should not have passed a load test with it being dead. Any proper battery tester would have said for the battery to be charged almost fully before a load test to be done.

You could do a visual check for any add-on electronics etc that could be draining but as my experience on every used vehicle I have purchased....the battery is just dead. From either being old or the car sitting on the lot for too long.

Now you could hook up the battery to a battery charger overnight or a full day and see what happens. The battery could have been just depleted from sitting on the lot at the dealership and they could have jump started it for you to get off the lot or it only had 1 or 2 starts left in it. The alternator does not "charge" the battery. It only maintains the charge.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Gauges fluttering, tells me replace the battery 1st, could not have been a proper load test. These vehicles are battery sensitive, Do that go from there. Save the 2.5hr drive, your time is worth it

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to check it out in the next couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Also should check the body ground (straps) that they are making good contact, haven't corroded thru

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,762 Posts
Since you just bought it, if the small troubleshooting does not work. Ask the dealer to figure it out. You should not hunting for answers on your own on a vehicle you just bought; used or brand new.Esp when its from a dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just talking to the mechanic that load tested the battery. I mentioned that Honda did shampoo the engine, and maybe that had something to do with it. As it has started since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts