Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Florence SC 16485178

I finally found a rtl-e in the color i want after 3 months. we work out a good deal for me. $40,800 OTD. our sale tax is only $300. when i arrive at the dealer after two hours of driving, my sale guy was busy. so i Check out the truck while i waited. This truck had some mayor GC issue. First, the paint on one of the door was drip dried. its like they apply to much paint in one area and it started to drip and dried. one of the door panel did not like up correctly. third, the weather strip on one of the doors was hanging loose. it was hard for me to walk away from it, but i am glad i did. i am guessing others have walk away from this truck too because its still for sale after 10days. That's very rare for a RTL-e to sit on the lot.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Aww, that is too bad. But another is out there for you!

Actually though, we looked at probably 8-10 different RTL's, an RT sport, and an RT, all AWD versions. We looked at 2 RTLs and an RT side by side and there was a surprising (to us) variation in the fitment of the interior dash assembly, how well the bed opened, how well the leather was stretched, and how hard or easy it was to close the hood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Surely they must be aware of the defects on the vehicle... I guess someone will get it eventually, maybe they'll discount it?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E Florence SC 16485178

I finally found a rtl-e in the color i want after 3 months. we work out a good deal for me. $40,800 OTD. our sale tax is only $300. when i arrive at the dealer after two hours of driving, my sale guy was busy. so i Check out the truck while i waited. This truck had some mayor GC issue. First, the paint on one of the door was drip dried. its like they apply to much paint in one area and it started to drip and dried. one of the door panel did not like up correctly. third, the weather strip on one of the doors was hanging loose. it was hard for me to walk away from it, but i am glad i did. i am guessing others have walk away from this truck too because its still for sale after 10days. That's very rare for a RTL-e to sit on the lot.
Very odd experience all the way around.

First, it's doubtful the factory would allow anything like that out the door.

And even if they did, its the dealers job to catch crap like that and alert the OEM. So that a double whammy. One on the factory and one on the dealer.

It sounds like it could be shipping or lot damage with schlocky dealer repair - which is bad at several levels. First is trying to sell a repaired vehicle as new. Thats out right against the law. Second is crap repair work and expecting to pass it off as new, which is as dishonest as it gets. And speaks volumes about this dealers ethics.

So what is it? Crap factory quality control? Or a stinking rotten dealer? Both?

One thing for sure - something ain't right here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves. Honda fit and finish not what it used to be. Lazy assembly personnel most likely. And don't give a **** dealers. After my salesman bragged about Honda's reputation of quality I showed him the G2 list from HROC. His response. Awe! You can't believe crap posted on those forums. What about the crap coming from the mouth of sales people and service advisers.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves. Honda fit and finish not what it used to be. Lazy assembly personnel most likely. And don't give a **** dealers. After my salesman bragged about Honda's reputation of quality I showed him the G2 list from HROC. His response. Awe! You can't believe crap posted on those forums. What about the crap coming from the mouth of sales people and service advisers.
It's not just Honda.... It's also Toyota/Lexus, and probably every other brand out there.

My first car was a 1993 SC300 and in attempts to not fool myself into thinking she'd last forever as a daily driver, we started hunting... When looking at the new Lexus lineup, I was actually quite disappointed in the fit and finish of all but their flagship (LS). And in no way was that going to be in my style or budget. I felt that the leather wasn't as tough, the panels were not as tight, the paint was thin, and just overall just felt like it was not going to hold up the same way as my current 24 year old car. To top it off, I just couldn't justify the price tag that was attached to them, even when used. We also had a 1997 CRV, which was tough little bugger, towed our little boat like the little engine that could, and it lives on in the hands of a new driver, going as strong as day one. I can only hope the RL can do the same, despite how it's not quite snapped together quite as tightly as our old base model CRV.

As for salespersons... I feel like they should at least familiarize themselves with the cars they are trying to sell. And so many blatantly lie to our faces about the cars/features. We even had one insist the Mazda CX5 we were test driving was a CVT..... uh.....

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
Fit and finish has been poor for a while with Honda. When we shopped for my wife's new 2013, we had to look at three units before we found one where the panels lined up and the paint was decent.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
My feelings is that Quality is just a memory at Honda. I tried 3 different vehicles and found way too many oops in the assembly.

Honda quality now meets the 1990's GM standards. Old man Soichiro Honda is rolling in the grave - he was QA all the way.

My 1st 5 Hondas had zero (none) defects, One defect on my Pilot and none on the Civics or CR-V I bought that was a few years ago.

I have trouble finding one properly assembled Pilot or Ridgeline on the lot last week.

Spend a day at the Honda dealership and watch what people complain about. They never used to have those problems.

I suspect high tech = high problems mostly with getting something out the door without full testing and it shows.

My gripes - why put a turbo on the new Civic and CR-V - why not a supercharger - no turbo lag with that.

Quoting Dilbert - they put the "K" in Quality.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,113 Posts
As many of you may or may not know, not all vehicles at the dealership are stored on site. Not all vehicles delivered gets there as they leave the dealership. Here in NJ, a well known dealership line has a huge holding area and partnered body shop to fix everything that comes off transport and does not pass quality inspection. The drips, the alignments, and fit/finish, rattles, etc are probably the cause the crappy work done at a bargain (or sub bargain) price by the body shops. In Jersey City, NJ, my old company used to take customer vehicles for damage repair and I used to see brand new, still in their transport wrapper covered Hondas and Mazda with cracked headlight, dented doors, broken windows, and you name it.

Essentially the dealers bought it, they have to spend the least to fix it and pass it off as 'off the assembly' price. If anything, the dealership is much to blame than the auto-maker. Dont get me wrong, I owned a 3G Accord and there was a very clear difference between the imported ones and the ones that were made in the US. from paint finish to the spot welds and the rust issues due to metal composition. compared to Honda, Toyota still has an upper hand in finish and quality/attractiveness is up for debate.

One could see difference in a 3G TL vs a 4G. The solid feel that you have in 3G TL cannot be found in the subsequent generations.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Some states have mandatory disclosure laws (New Jersey and California come to mind) but there is no Federal law requiring dealers to disclose repairs made to new vehicles. Canada also has a nationwide law covering this issue.

Of course Honda has a contract with every authorized dealership, and I believe that contract requires dealers to disclose damage that exceeds 5% of MSRP. Honda will know of damage during shipment, but beyond that it's simply up to the dealer to make any disclosures. And as we all know not all dealers are the same.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The QC is bad on everything. My wife bought a new Mercedes Benz for big bucks and it sucked. We got rid of it at 22,000 miles after 3 major dozens of minor problems with QC., My new Ridgeline is fortunately so far very good as for fit and finish. I can't find but one little defect in the paint that nobody will ever find.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The QC is bad on everything. My wife bought a new Mercedes Benz for big bucks and it sucked. We got rid of it at 22,000 miles after 3 major dozens of minor problems with QC., My new Ridgeline is fortunately so far very good as for fit and finish. I can't find but one little defect in the paint that nobody will ever find.
I accept your challange

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes, looking at a wide range of newer cars, we found the QC and just quality over all has changed regardless of brand. I settled on the RTL based on many factors, one of them being that when I looked at the quality of the newer Lexus, they just did not compare with my 1993 SC300, even at the inflation adjusted price point.

That said, I would say that ford/lincoln products of 2017 are leaps and bounds ahead of the fit and finish when compared to my reference of a 1991 towncar that my parents still have. I have no idea why my parents wanted a squeaky fake wood trim town car...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some states have mandatory disclosure laws (New Jersey and California come to mind) but there is no Federal law requiring dealers to disclose repairs made to new vehicles. Canada also has a nationwide law covering this issue.

Of course Honda has a contract with every authorized dealership, and I believe that contract requires dealers to disclose damage that exceeds 5% of MSRP. Honda will know of damage during shipment, but beyond that it's simply up to the dealer to make any disclosures. And as we all know not all dealers are the same.
Joe,
If you ask the dealer specifically if any damage or repairs have been made to a new vehicle, are they required to disclose them then?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts